close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Must be a southern thing?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by water_daddy, Mar 29, 2003.

1. water_daddy

water_daddy

I believe the less regulations the better off we all are, however; there is one restriction I wouldn't mind hitting the books - Hound hunting deer & bear. As a property owner I find it hard to hunt my own small farm b/c the hound hunters run everything off the land. If it happened occassionally I wouldn't be so bothered, but it happens almost every day of the season. If you put out enough hunters and keep the hounds running for 3 months, it makes it very difficult for quality game managment. Additionally my land is no longer private property as hounds and the hunters trespass despite being posted and warden visits. I've had my chickens killed, my trash cans invaded, and many shot up deer slowly die. This hunting technique is too invasive and requires some degree of consideration and safety that is not commonly seen. I've about had I can tolerate of this situation. Despite our season ending almost 3 months ago hounds still run game at all hours of the day. After sleepless nights, the livestock attacks, trash all over the yard, ruined hunts, wasted game and having witnessed a fawn get eaten last spring, I'm taking action. I'm taking up trapping. I've given all the hound owners notification traps will set on my property. If this doesn't fix the problem, I will join with others who will seek the banning of hound hunting. Sorry to the few houndsmen who are not slob hunters. I'd rather not seek regulatory action, you guys have any ideas.

2. davesglock30

davesglock30

yeah being from up north originally i think it isn't a "fair" hunt. i think it takes the sport and the work out of it. what ever happened to going out and spotting for months and then setting up your stand and waiting the deer out. ****, down here in florida they don't even have to get out of their vehicles to hunt!! what sport is that!?!? i don't get it.

3. glockandgroovin'

glockandgroovin' Devil Dog

You are absolutely right.I myself am also from up north.you just don't see that kind of thing up there.I've also lived in pinellas county for 8 yrs,and have had some good ole' boys as friends.so i will just say that their hunting techniques are less than " ethical"!

4. davesglock30

davesglock30

yeah i hang out with a bunch of good ole boys too. they are very fun people to hang out wityh and most of them will do anything to help you but they can be crazy when it comes to hunting.

5. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

wow, hunters wanting to take the rights away from other hunters. Glad you live up north, hate to see what your like when it comes to the second amendment ;P oh wait,, NJ, NY, MA, etc... etc... guess I don't have to.

6. davesglock30

davesglock30

UHHH, you might wanna take a look at that little thing that says "location". we both said that we were "from" up north. and i have absolutely no intention of trying to take away anybodys gun or hunting rights as i am a gun owner(DUHH) and a hunter. i just said that they don't know the "sport" of hunting down here. they want to do it the lazy and easy way. yeah, it takes a real man to sit in a truck or swamp buggy and let his dogs chase the deer to him! yeah thats REAL sportsmanship. it's called bieng lazy as ****! the one thing i do have to give to the southern hunters is that i know some of them hunt wild boar with a couple of dogs and a freakin knife! no thank you i'll use a gun.

7. TScottW99

DUHHH, I do read ;)

Listen I don't chase deer with dogs, it's illegal in my area, but in the east it is legal. I have chased coons, grouse and rabbits with dogs. I just hate to see anyone consider taking anothers form of hunting. It's not for me either, I like to still hunt and can't stand to hunt from a stand. However I"m not going to call stand hunters lazy or unethical. If it's legal in the state then it's all a personel decison. Ethics does not play a part unless they hunt sloppy and illegally because we all have differn't ethics. I'm sure there are sloppy hound hunters just like there are sloppy stand hunters and sloppy still hunters.

8. Cheezwarrior

Cheezwarrior

Must you make this a southern thing? Damn, y'all won, get over it. And for the record, I do not hunt deer with hounds.
    I am sorry if this offends you, but you have offended me.
    I am a Redneck, southern, and proud of it.
    Once again, like in gun control, a stereotype is formed from a portion of the whole. Stereotyping is the number 1 cause for people being against valid hobbies and ways of life. This is the case in all of my hobbies including, amateur radio, shooting, hunting, paintball. None of these are bad things in themselves, but a few select people abuse the priveldges given to them, and make it look bad for the rest of us.

If it is your land, prosecute for trespassing, don't try taking rights away, that's all we need is sane people crossing over into the band of liberals. If the traps don't work, well then you just got some cheap target practice.

Thank you,
    Mike the Cheezwarrior
    Hi-Tech Redneck

9. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

I personally don't see much sport in hunting deer with dogs or from a stand. If deer hunting were terribly difficult, those 8-yr-old girls with the SKS's wouldn't be killing deer every season. ;)

10. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

water daddy,

It's just impolite to hunt some fellows property without permission. If it's also illegal, get the proper authorities out there and get some enforcement.

You don't need more laws about this. You might need to sell that little farm and move back to the city where you're comfortable.

11. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I don't think we're just talking about hunting here.

When anothers' actions destroy property, scare off game, late night hunting while many of us are trying to get some sleep, and just plain get in the way of the quiet enjoyment of your property, they have to go!

Nothing worse than an ignorant rude hunter. Makes us all look like trash.

I love hunting but truly believe in the low impact philosophy on the land. No need to trample everything and scare everyone.

Take your prey with dignity and landowners will welcome you back year after year. Act a fool and they kick us all off of the property forever.

Good manners, respect, and courtesy appear to be lacking throughout the US.

12. TScottW99

Duncan,

Very Very True and I agree. A piece of crap hunter is a piece of crap hunter no matter what they hunt with or by what means i.e, bow, rifle, dogs, pistol. BUT don't make the form illegal or even talk about it because of a group of POS's. Call the local police, trespass them take them to court.

13. g21glock

g21glock Millennium Member

I dont hunt bambi with dogs nor do I know a single other person around here who does. I do alot of hunting in Bama too, nobody I know there hunts with dogs either. Sounds more like a problem with people around where you are as opposed to a southern thing.

Safe shooting

14. water_daddy

water_daddy

To clear up all the fabricated stories that have been made about me:
    - Never lived in the city, raised a farm boy in the South
    - Prior soldier, NRA member, FFL holder, avid hunter
    - For those who didn't listen: I DO NOT FAVOR MORE REGULATIONS

Guys, I don't know how I can be any more direct on the problems that irresponsible houndsmen create for all hunters. Some of guys are quick to make false accusations and slander. Lets cut the BS and ignorance, I don't view any you as an enemy. This thread was created simply to come up with creative ways to make irresponsible hound hunting less invasive to other hunters, landowners, and the non-hunting recreationists.

15. david_r

david_r

Maybe you should quit fabricating them stories ;f We're not your enemies here. Other than gemini's quip, everything else seem to be straight from your original post. It's your own darn fault, though. You can't go to a bunch of gun owners and say you will seek the banning of X and expect them to not get emotional. Those wounds have been reopened a few too many times. You are absolutely right when you say problem people are problems. Seems like everyone agrees on that point. Let's move on.

What steps have you taken, anyway? It seems on your repost that you are genuine in your request for ideas. Your property is posted. Is it fenced? Is the fencing in good repair? Have you contacted the sheriff? Hunter Trespass is a criminal offense. I'd keep the warden in the loop but definitely expect the sheriff to solve a trespass issue. If you live in an "open-range" state (we don't know), it's up to you to put up an adequate barrier to keep them critters out. If not, certainly contact your sheriff. It's their job. Seeking legislation to rectify this trespass is certainly not the resolution I would like to see. Have you spoken to these persons? There can't be an infinite # of them. I HATE having to tell people to be decent human beings and will avoid it but sometimes it has to be done. Have a friend along if possible. Lastly, I would not hesitate to shoot someone's dog if it was harassing my livestock -- That's even legal in Kalifornia.

One thing you might want to think about. There aren't just hound hunters out there. Trapping is indiscriminant. You may likely catch some guy's pointer, a neighbor's cat, a deer, the mentioned non-hunting recreationist's "fluffy" or heaven forbid some dumb kid that really shouldn't have been there.

Do you really want:
    1) the guilt of maiming a dog, a cat, a deer, whatever else? Finding a sprung trap with a paw in it is a very unsettling experience.
    2) Some guy that doesn't even have the common decency to respect your property rights having a grudge with you? You think you've got problems with these jerks now? Seems to me a good way to have a feud with an unknown foe.

I have no use for using dogs to hunt fur. However, when a bill to outlaw it was introduced here this year, I called every dog owner and bird hunter I knew to have them call their state rep. First fur hunting, then bird hunting, then varmit and deer hunting? Next thing you know, we'd be arrested for having pre-ban spit wads.

At least you didn't mention poison

good luck. I certainly wish you luck in finding a resolution to your problem.

david

16. Pawcatch@aol.co

Pawcatch@aol.co

I'm a trapper and that is simply not true.If I'm targeting fox I can simply set the trap further from the dirt hole to avoid dogs.Also,if you stick to urine and gland lures then you will avoid catching most dogs and cats.

That isn't possible since most states have laws prohibiting traps with a jaw spread of more than six inches.Deer also will pull out of legal traps.Most legal foothold traps simply can't hold on to a deer's slick foot.

There have been many improvments in modern footholding traps to avoid "maiming" animals.Every non-target animal that I've caught has been turned lose.All my traps have at least three swivels on them to prevent fractures and other injuries.
    Also, several common foothold traps have passed animal welfare laws in New Zealand and Canada.
    Most of the stories of maiming come from years ago when traps without swivels,offset jaws,laminated jaws,and shock springs were used.
    The 1966 Swedish study is used by most ARAs and the the traps that were used then are simply not what I use now.

17. david_r

david_r

18. Pawcatch@aol.co

Pawcatch@aol.co

I said you can avoid most dogs and cats,but if you trap long enough then you will eventually catch a few.I catch about 20 foxes for every one domestic animal I catch.
    BTW,they are all turned lose with little more than a sore foot.I check my traps twice a day so no animal will be in my traps for more than twelve hours.

About the dirthole,I set the foothold so it is scent free as possible and if a fox or yote smells human scent,then they will dig up trap.
    I dig a small hole and I put lure in it.For foxes the lure will be about six inches from the pan,ten to twelve for coyotes.
    I've seen countless times in the dirt where dogs and yotes have missed a fox set they worked.

Now I would never advocate targeting dogs with traps.That just trappers a black eye.

19. water_daddy

water_daddy

Thanks for the insight fellas. I'd like to clear up that I'm not targeting anyone's dogs...if that were the case I'd have blasted a few for tearing up stuff around the farm. I'll be the first to admit I have a soft spot for dogs, the only ones I've ever shot were either rabid or mortally wounded from auto collisions. Trapping would in no way keep the hound gang from running dogs. The tract of land they hunt is over 1 mile from our farm. What it will do is keep these punks from dropping dogs in front of my house and running them across a gravel road where the road warriors are positioned. I'll probably will not trap, but isn't funny how suddenly people have so much opinion about how I hunt my own land.

20. MuRDoC

MuRDoC

I think you should shoot any dogs you see run on your land