Murkowski Announces Vote on Supreme Court Nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by DonGlock26, Oct 24, 2020.

1. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

I don’t care what she says. I only care how she votes. She makes Collins look like the moron she is.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  2. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

Lots of words to save face for voting YES. She did a good job of doing that for the fifteen people who listened to the whole thing. LOL

Sherlock913 likes this.

3. TeaDub

TeaDub

This is actually news IMO. Murkowski (along with Collins) have really given headaches to the GOP over the abortion issue. Quite frankly, I was fully expecting a "no" vote from her on ACB. Give her the 15 minutes of "explaining".

Last I heard, the vote was Monday. With the 'rona still floating around, and the "quarantines" that spawn from that, I want this vote to happen as early as can be made to happen. Even 2-3 votes could scuttle this nomination.

Csv and hogship like this.
  4. Simi_gun_guy

Simi_gun_guy

I don’t think so. Turtle McConnell can count votes, and her nomination will only come to a vote WHEN Turtle has enough votes. Take that to the bank!

Ed

5. TeaDub

TeaDub

Perhaps I stated my concern poorly?

My concern is if 2-3 GOP senators announce that they have been exposed to the 'rona and can't show up to vote while they self-quarantine. To my knowledge, there is no provision for voting electronically. Perhaps I'm wrong? :dunno:

Csv and hogship like this.
  6. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    It’s about time that she at least pretend to be a conservative.

hogship and Officer's Match like this.
  7. IOmm

IOmm ╠╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬ƁȖǤȘ╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╣ Silver Member

Almost anyone would be better than the freak Hillary would have put in...

No, even with 3 defections...Pence would still be the tie breaker. The SCOTUS will go solid right.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  8. Crazypolack

Crazypolack

Collins and Murkowski had permission to vote against ACB because Mitch had enough votes without them. A few people on Sen Loeffler's (R GA) staff have COVID and she might not be able to make the vote, so Murkowski was told to vote yes to account for that eventuality.

A lot of people here crap on Justice Roberts for being the swing vote sometimes, but I think he might be playing the same sort of game. Occasionally vote with the liberal justices on cases he thinks are less important, and voting with conservatives for the big ones. That way the court looks a little less like a bunch of political stooges, while the conservative agenda still moves forward.

9. Simi_gun_guy

Simi_gun_guy

Ok, I’ll give a pass then ... When a few Senators came down with the ChiCom 'rona, they made noise about special voting plans, like bringing the “carriers” in one at a time to vote, etc.
    I still stand by my original statement though “Turtle McConnell can count votes, and her nomination will only come to a vote WHEN Turtle has enough votes”.

Ed

hogship likes this.
  10. jr24

jr24

I consider forcing people to buy government healthcare a pretty big one.

11. Simi_gun_guy

Simi_gun_guy

I heard Ted Cruz say that Roberts doesn’t like Trump, and the Pennsylvania absentee ballot scam sure smelled of that. The Chief Justice of SCOTUS allows Pennsylvania to violate Federal law? I trust Roberts as far as I could throw him.
    We'll have a 5-4 court on Monday afternoon, and Roberts will become part of the minority.
    Hasta la vista, baby!

My 2¢

Ed

Duramaxsky and hogship like this.
  12. grumpy1

grumpy1

This should shed some light on the subject, though not much it is a good start and certainly not a view Durbin wants from a Supreme Court Justice. Since she quoted Heller it is a pretty safe bet that she would not go along with banning firearms that are not both "dangerous and unusual".

https://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amend...rett-2nd-amendment-right-is-individual-right/

Barrett explicitly wrote: “The Second Amendment confers an individual right, intimately connected with the natural right of self defense, and not limited to civic participation (i.e., militia service).”

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Jade Falcon and hogship like this.
  13. Crazypolack

Crazypolack

What federal law? Also, state law does not have to incorporate federal law. States for the most part dictate election laws.

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  14. IOmm

IOmm ╠╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬ƁȖǤȘ╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╣ Silver Member

I don't believe Roberts is playing some game unless there is a game called Benedict Arnold. He is a turncoat.

Duramaxsky and hogship like this.
  15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Bla bla bla... it's now politically smart to vote for Trump's nominee.

hogship and nursetim like this.
  16. hogship

hogship Stop the steal! Silver Member

There is always a little concern, until a track record is established......I'm one who fawned over Roberts......dang me. I really felt his stab in my back. :steamed:

nursetim likes this.
  17. Simi_gun_guy

Simi_gun_guy

I cannot site specific federal law, I’m not a lawyer, nice try! I understand that federal law is invoked when there is a federal election, such as Congress or Presidential election. If Pennsylvania is changing state voting law by “regulation“ then they are violating their own law. Regulation is not law, it is purely bureaucratic positioning. Sorry if that’s not enough, but that’s my understanding.

YMMV

Ed

18. hogship

hogship Stop the steal! Silver Member

I think his opinion on ACA was pretty damn important.

19. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Thanks for spoiling the ending, I was so looking forward to investing a chunk of quality time listening to her drone on and on about it NOT.

Hartford and hogship like this.
  20. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

States run the elections as they see fit, that's why the feds had to have the voting rights act to prevent them from infringing or discriminating.. Some states choose closed primaries, some choose open. Some allow faithless electors, some force them to vote as the people voted.

Just like the states make their own gun laws, but the feds add some restrictions and also stop some of the unconstitutional infringements.

syntaxerrorsix likes this.