21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
King Doofus.
5,710 Posts
Soon, they will be countless.

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
9,963 Posts
Well the French had a great idea for repete offenders, French Penal Colony in South America. Steve McQueen made a movie about it with Dustin Hoffman. I also read the book, sound like it worked well to deal with problem children.
Devil's island is not large enough to hold all the "problem" children who need to be sent there

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Same here. Back up to pre-Y2K numbers. Long way to go to get to crack war numbers, but not out of the realm of possibilities. I credit our trauma surgeons with keeping that number from doubling every year!
That is a major factor why homicide rates aren't as high as they could be. I remember when the US military sent it's doctors to certain hospitals in high gun violence cities to learn about how to patch up GSWs, pre 9-11.

Reactions: Ohio Cop

·
Pretty Ladies!
4,452 Posts
Same here. Back up to pre-Y2K numbers. Long way to go to get to crack war numbers, but not out of the realm of possibilities. I credit our trauma surgeons with keeping that number from doubling every year!
Better medical care is definitely the difference between now and thirty years ago. There's all this focus on the dead bodies, but the overall number of shootings is way off the hook in Louisville and Lexington. Figure at least 15- 20% of those would have died in the good old days.

The thing is, cities like Louisville are still setting homicide records even with world- class trauma care available. The violence is real and it's spectacular.

Reactions: Ohio Cop

·
Registered
27,811 Posts
sos4364, how close are you to retirement, or being able to retire comfortably enough to bail??

You want to leave before it looks like the chaotic opening scene of Los Angeles in Demolition Man. ;)

·
Registered
27,811 Posts
... I remember when the US military sent it's doctors to certain hospitals in high gun violence cities to learn about how to patch up GSWs, pre 9-11.
Imagine what the numbers would be if the state modern trauma medicine was still that of the 70's? :eek:

They'd be stacking them high and deep.

Reactions: Morris

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Just peaceful protestors murdering other peaceful protestors, what did they expect to happen?

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'll see your Chicago and raise you a Baltimore. The population is about 575K and we've already passed 300 murders with a projected 330. Chicago has about 2.75 million with 700 murders with an anticipated 800. The math is clear, Baltimore is a more murderous crap hole than Chicago. BPD has many vacancies and is hiring.
Seemingly, the new mayor elect has a plan. :rolleyes:
Baltimore has been hating on police a bit longer. Their DA crapped the bed and ruined the future of LE in that once fine city.

·
Registered
27,811 Posts
Baltimore has been hating on police a bit longer. Their DA crapped the bed and ruined the future of LE in that once fine city.
Hey, I see you can do subtle. :)

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Well the French had a great idea for repete offenders, French Penal Colony in South America. Steve McQueen made a movie about it with Dustin Hoffman. I also read the book, sound like it worked well to deal with problem children.
Agree. Too bad there is not a large isolated area of barely habitable realestate left for a penal colony. In olden times, England sent debtors to Georgia and minor criminals to Australia. They hanged the serious criminals.

·
Registered
728 Posts
sos4364, how close are you to retirement, or being able to retire comfortably enough to bail??

You want to leave before it looks like the chaotic opening scene of Los Angeles in Demolition Man. ;)
I am 8yrs from maxing out. I have my 20 but the huge problem is our pension is not portable. I can see the light, it occasionally goes out with new policies.

they have literally made it dam near impossible to do proactive police work. Our report system just got even longer. We are talking 40pages of paperwork for a single simple misdemeanor arrest report across 3 different platforms. All of which are not linked or auto populate. You have to start overgrown zero with each platform duplicating and triplicating info. God forbid you catch a felony, pursuit, or use of force incident. A smoke arrest has gone from under hour , to minimum 3.5-4 with all the required documentation. It’s ridiculous how long cars are out of serviceto complete a simple report. No fault of their own. Our system is brutal.

·
Registered
27,811 Posts
I am 8yrs from maxing out. I have my 20 but the huge problem is our pension is not portable. I can see the light, it occasionally goes out with new policies.

they have literally made it dam near impossible to do proactive police work. Our report system just got even longer. We are talking 40pages of paperwork for a single simple misdemeanor arrest report across 3 different platforms. All of which are not linked or auto populate. You have to start overgrown zero with each platform duplicating and triplicating info. God forbid you catch a felony, pursuit, or use of force incident. A smoke arrest has gone from under hour , to minimum 3.5-4 with all the required documentation. It’s ridiculous how long cars are out of serviceto complete a simple report. No fault of their own. Our system is brutal.
Damn. BTDT on systems that seem to work against your efforts. One of the side effects of some gov reporting systems. ;)

So ...

Are the number of reported crimes showing a decline since units are basically out-of-service doing paper and unable to take new cases so quickly? :sneaky:

Are guys catching arrests an hour before going OD so they get paid OT to complete the paper? :whistle:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Damn. BTDT on systems that seem to work against your efforts. One of the side effects of some gov reporting systems. ;)

So ...

Are the number of reported crimes showing a decline since units are basically out-of-service doing paper and unable to take new cases so quickly? :sneaky:

Are guys catching arrests an hour before going OD so they get paid OT to complete the paper? :whistle:
Overall crime is definitely showing small decrese due to response times being so long. A majority of the time the victim is long gone by the time a marked unit shows for paper. Don’t even ask how long it takes for an evidence technician to respond to a burglary or crime scene to collect evidence. It’s days before someone will show to get prints and process property crimes. Overnight we have 8 or so evidence techs to cover the entire city. However violent crimes are through the roof.
Carjackings and shootings are as common as Chicago Style Hotdogs. And the mayor just eliminated 700 spots from the budget.
Here is a good link for the heartbeat of what’s going on. Our manpower is non existent and they won’t hire back officers because the mayor won’t approve overtime payouts. So we are running skeleton crews in almost every district. One district didn’t have a SGT for almost 20 hrs to supervise any officers on patrol.
We are on par to pass the record 90’s numbers. And this is with modern medical technology

D9D0E72F-201F-462C-A94A-BEDC347084D8.jpeg

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
This is the result of S0R0S' DA's being put into place and then initiating all of this. The goal is that of Brazil, Venezuela, Argentina, and others...let the criminals have a run of the place. They get no charges or slaps on the wrist and put right back out to commit crimes. Just look how Antifa was treated in Portland. Arrested, charges dropped by DA, and back out terrorizing the city within hours.

It's ****ed that a vast majority of this country's problems trace back to one man. No one does anything about that.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts