close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Multiple computers with wireless DSL and managing mail?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by SanduneCC, Feb 10, 2005.

1. SanduneCC

SanduneCC Senior Member

Hey GT’ers, please help me out with something. I have the DSL line going from the modem to my wireless router and hardwired to my main computer, let’s call it Computer #1. In another room, I have a secondary Computer #2 picking up the wireless signal via a PCI card. I haven’t set up a network yet. Both computers run Thunderbird for mail 24/7.

Ideally, I’d like mail to come in to both computers simultaneously so that I can work in any room I want. That’s not what’s happening:

. Computer #2 “hogs” the mail. It gets all of the incoming mail and Computer #1 only sees only a fraction of the mail.

. If I turn off Thunderbird in Computer #2, then Computer #1 gets all the mail. Here’s the funny thing with this scenario: If I read and trash/delete/empty all the mail in Computer #1, when I turn on Thunderbird in Computer #2, it gets all the same pieces of mail I just deleted in Computer #1. Why is that?

I guess I don’t understand what’s going on to make an educated stab at a solution. You guys are smart, help me out here please.

Edited to add: They both run XP Pro. Wireless system is Netgear 802.11b.

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I am guessing that you are set up to "leave a copy of messages on server" on Computer 1. It may additionally be set to only delete items from the server when you have went into your deleted items and manually deleted them again (can't remember if this is even an option in Thunderbird--it may do it automatically).

Computer 2 is not set up to leave a copy of messages on the server.

When computer 1 checks the mail, it picks up a copy and leaves the original for computer 2. If computer checks first, it picks up without leaving a copy.

Also, what rate is your computers checking for emails?

To get around this, I set up my laptop to check for mail every minute and to leave a copy of messages on the server. My desktop checks for mail every two minutes. Thus, there is a window where laptop can pick up a copy of the new messages then desktop picks them up without leaving a copy on the server.

In Thunderbird, look under Tools, Account Settings, Server Settings.

3. SanduneCC

SanduneCC Senior Member

Thanks misskitty, that was it. Dang, I feel stupid, that was too simple, I should've known that. ;g

4. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Couldent you also set it up so that only one computer picks up mail then, on the other computer, set it up so that it reads the mail database file on the recieving computer.

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Remember, you only have a certain amount of storage space on the email server, so you do have to eventually pick them up off it or things will start getting bounced.

Now, will you fix my printer for me? ;f I think it is just dead :( Processes right through the que, it's recognized but won't print or reset. For what ink costs, I can just buy a new one ;Q