Multiple case gauge blocks???

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Boxerglocker, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Somewhere in a magazine or website I saw a machined case gauge block with mulitple holes (5 or 6) all in the same caliber. Does anyone know where to get a good quality one?

The one really tedious thing for me is case gauging finished 9mm rounds one at a time through my dillon single case gauge. Which I prefered to gauge first then do another inspection as I place each case in an empty tray, bullet down for primer seating checks, marking with a sharpie and put them in storage boxes.

Yesterday, I while doing so after loading 500 rounds, for the second time in a week I realised while doing so that "This SUCKS!!!"

:dunno:

2. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Hey,you live in Washington, what else is there to do while it's raining... except maybe sit around and end up looking like a prune. Just sayin'. :supergrin:

Jack

3. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

in all the 9mm i have loaded,as long as it will drop in the chamber of the gun i intend to use them in,I never guage them. All i do it a visual and that it.

4. Boxerglocker

For the most part your right... but yesterday, it was actually sunny and warm.... my Harley calling my name asking me to go for a ride... and there I was sitting in the garage case gauging rounds that I'm planning on shipping down to Palm Desert, CA for me to use next week while on vacation. :upeyes:

5. Boxerglocker

But you do this for every round right?

6. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

my round drop in to a tray and when i transfer them to my container I grab a handful at a time and look at them to check for primer or cracks.

I would go crazy gauging every round.

7. Boxerglocker

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  8. Boxerglocker

Yeah, I admit for practice rounds. I normally do about a 50% sample. When loading for match / course training rounds though, I check each and every one particularly for burrs on the rim that can be overlooked doing a visual.

9. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

I rely on a Lee Factory Crimp die in the fifth station of the press to do my QC work for match ammunition. This gives me 100% reliability in terms of chambering.

However, for a state, regional, or national level match I'll run the ammo through the gun and clean it with alcohol to check every possibility for a stoppage. Not necessary, but it really stings when a 20 cent cartridge ruins a thousand dollar weekend.

Chambering is not the only issue that can choke a gun.

10. paxbnm

paxbnm

11. Boxerglocker

Obviously there is more to ensuring the reliability of chambering. My interest in this is to assist in speeding up one of them, OAL still need checking, primer seating and a thorough case visual are also a must.
    If I'm running my glock barrels I don't worry to much about actually checkeing chamber fit in thoses, but do with match rounds in my LWD.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  12. PBKing

PBKing

Interesting..What is it made of?

13. Boxerglocker

Looks to be made of machined steel. I doubt it would be anything other than that, aluminum would be too susceptable to gouges. When I googled it, I found numerous positive feedback reports, all confirm my theory that it would indeed be a significant time saver.

14. Suburban

Suburban

I have the EGW gage with 9mm, 38Super, 40SW, and .45ACP. That one is made of aluminum. I wasn't crazy about it, but it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Just wait until you get a live round, with part of the case mouth folded back, stuck 3/4 into the chamber.

15. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent