Multiple Caliber Conversions

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by fmfdocglock, Feb 22, 2010.

1. fmfdocglock

fmfdocglock

I did a quick search but the result wasn't satisfactory.

What is the most versatile glock in terms of multi-caliber convertability?

That is being able to use a different caliber by only changing only the barrell, or barrell and magazines, and nothing else?

PS: This might be a good permanent/locked reference thread.

2. knaack134

knaack134

A .40 glock can be made to shoot .357sig and 9mm.
    A .45 glock can be made to shoot 10mm, .400 corbon.
    A 10mm glock can be made to shoot .40,9.25dillon.
    I have missed some, im sure, check out lonewolf and kkm for conversion barrels, look into magazine and extractor issues.

3. AustinTx

AustinTx

Your "SEARCH" is BROKE.

4. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

And most can get a .22LR conversion top.
    :supergrin:

5. NYresq

NYresq

anything that can shoot a 40 can shoot a 357sig. finding a conversion barrel is the hard part.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  6. TenSeven

TenSeven

This is the precise reason I bought a G20.

10mm = Stock, obviously
    .40 with a conversion barrel, uses 10mm mags
    .357 with a conversion barrel, uses 10mm mags
    .45 with a 45 upper (slide) and 45 mags

Almost 4 guns in one, love it!

7. DeltaNu1142

DeltaNu1142 Glock talker

Maybe I don't understand your post--but I can just drop a Glock .357 barrel into my 27 to shoot .357. No "conversion" barrel needed.

I have a 9mm LW conversion on the way, and maybe will pick up a .357 barrel at some point to shoot all 3 calibers.

8. TenSeven

TenSeven

But that is exactly what you did. You "converted" (using Glock factory parts) your G27 in a G33.

9. loki993

loki993

Ive also hear somewhere that the G20 will do 38 super, which is interesting if true because its the consensus that it will not do 9mm. I would imagine that if it could do 38 super than it could do 9mm also, but apparently not.

10. agtman

agtman 10mm Spartiate

With merely a 10-second barrel-swap, a stock 10mm G20 or G29 can shoot any of the following (using the stock 10mm mags & recoil assembly):

1) 10mm.

2) .40 S&W.

3) 357 Sig.

4) 9x25 Dillon.

5) Possibly .38 Super, according to a poster on this board. He apparently encountered no breach-face or extractor issues (can't recall about 10mm mag compatibility w/ the .38S), but since I've never tried this one personally, it's just an FYI for you at this point.

A completely separate .45acp upper (slide & barrel), using G21 mags, can be run on a G20 frame.

Likewise, as mentioned, there's a .22 conversion unit (upper), using dedicated .22lr mags, that can be run on a G20.

Bottom-line: The Glock 10mms are the most versatile "caliber-convertable" guns in the entire Glock line-up - and for most of the choices, only the extra barrels are needed ... :wow:

:cool:

11. RayB

RayB Retired Member

...Caliber's footprint and the substitute caliber's footprint are similar. If this criterion is met, you can often achieve caliber conversions using the same slide and receiver, with just a few drop-in parts, like a conversion barrel and magazines.

Now, I'm talking drop-in parts, not new slide assemblies or slide components being swapped out--just drop-in parts.

The following conversions can be done with drop-in parts.

G20
    10 mm to 9 X 25 Dillon
    10 mm to .40 S&W
    10 mm to .357 Sig

G21
    .45 ACP to 10 mm
    .45 ACP to .40 Super

G22
    .40 S&W to .357 Sig
    .40 S&W to 9 mm

G31
    .357 Sig to .40 S&W
    .357 Sig to 9 mm

Caliber Conversion Barrels combine the outside dimensions of the original caliber, with the inside dimensions of the substitute caliber. This is necessary to optimize the firing chamber's fit to the slide's breech face.

For many conversions, the substitute caliber's magazines will also be needed.

You will notice that caliber conversions can be lateral, or slightly downward from the original caliber. Caliber conversations are never upward in size.

.45 ACP to .40 Super is essentially a lateral move, since the .40 Super is ostensibly a .45 ACP necked down to a .40 S&W.

.45 ACP to 10 mm is a doable step down in size, as the 10 mm is close enough in size to the .45, for the conversion to work.

.45 ACP to 9 mm is too much of a departure from the original footprint, and won't work.

10 mm to 9X25 Dillon works because the 9X25 Dillon cartridge is essentially a 10 mm necked down to a 9 mm.

10 mm to .40 S&W is a minor bump down in size, so both it and .357 Sig are doable conversions.

10 mm to 9 mm is again, too much of a leap.

.40 S&W to .357 Sig is a lateral conversion, since .357 Sig is essentially a .40 S&W necked down to a 9 mm. The inverse would also be a lateral move. In this case, you could simply swap out factory barrels and be done with it, as even the original magazines should be interchangeable.

.40 S&W to 9 mm is close enough to be a doable conversion, and indeed, many report great success with it.

Occasionally, conversion rigs need to be tweaked to achieve reliability. This can involve trials with different ammo brands and types, stronger or weaker recoil springs, etc. I had to undergo this process with my G21's .45 - 10 mm conversion, and the reliability today is very good.

Some GT members advocate just tossing in an OEM barrel of a different caliber and having at it, even for such conversions as .40 S&W to 9 mm. I'm not among these advocates, but if it works, it works. :dunno:

--Ray