close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

multi-day backpacking trails in Texas?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by eagles405, Jan 11, 2006.

1. eagles405

eagles405

A couple friends and I want to go on a multi-day backpacking trip over spring break. I have found several shorter trails, 15 miles or so, but I am looking for a 30 to 50 mile trip if we can. Looked at Big Bend but think it will be crowded. Has anybody been there during spring break? We are really looking for a back country trail that does not have much foot traffic. Some mountainous terrain would be nice. most likely we will be leaving from Houston so it would probably be best if we could find a good trail in Texas. Any ideas would be great!

Eagles 405

2. eagles405

eagles405

ok, does anybody have a favorite multiday backpacking place they like in texas any distance?
    Eagles 405

3. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Big Bend is never really crowded. It is probably the most underused National Park. It does have some trails in it, but I don't know the length of them. The lodges might be full at that time, but you want backcounty, and it has plenty of it.

It is about 11 hours from Houston. If you go, do some hiking around the Chisos Mountains. Really pretty scenery.

4. JDM2126

JDM2126

The two best places for the kind of hiking you are talking about are Big Bend National Park and Guadalupe Mountains National Park. Guadalupe Mountains National Park is ENE of El Paso, and stretches into New Mexico. One problem with both-- you can't carry in national parks, and with all of the border trouble, I don't want to go to Big Bend unarmed.

Long but flat hike: Caprock Canyons State Trailway in the panhandle. Was a 65 mile rails-to-trails effort, but Parks and Wildlife has closed down the eastern 32 miles due to no bucks from the Legislature.

Texas is not a hiker friendly state, any way you cut it. Relatively small % of public land is a big factor. Not much interest in hiking among the two big minority populations, and not many are willing to drive out to far west Texas for the best hiking experiences the state has to offer.

Just my two cents worth.

5. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

McKittrick Canyon in Guadalupe Natl. Park is a real nice hike, but not a multiple day hike..

These are photos of a hike to the "Top of Texas", the absolute highest point you can reach on Guadalupe Peak. It takes about 4.5 hours up, and 3.5 hrs down.

It would be real nice to hike 3/4 of the way up, camp in a beautiful wooded valley up there and come down the next day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. eagles405

eagles405

Hey, Thanks for your help guys. About a week ago I called Guadalupe National park and had them send info to my house and will get that when I go home from college this weekend. About the handgun packing part, neither of us are over 21 anyways so that does not really matter (I turn 21 in April and can't wait) Those are some great pics too and I can't wait to show you some of mine from where ever we end up going. If anybody else know of in more the info would be great.

Eagles 405

7. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Breathtaking photos. Thanks for sharing them. :)

8. eagles405

eagles405

OK my friend and I are leaving the 9th for the Guadalupe Mountains to backpack in the back country for five days! Any last minute things you all can think about or suggestions? I will post pics as soon as I get them developed (don't have a digital). Any Extra news or or suggestions will be nice. We are planning at this point to hike from Pine Springs to Bear Creek trail up to Juniper trail and tejas trail around to bush mountain trail and take that back to pine springs. Last night and day we are going to try and stay at the Guadalupe Peak back country campgrounds and peak it Tuesday if not to windy then home again jiggidy jog.

Eagles 405

9. TexAg

TexAg

Guadalupe is a good one, been there a couple times myself and you can go to McKitrick Canyon on a day trip...or even Carlsbad Caverns.
    On the Gauadulpe peak hike just bring lots of water, I think the upper campsites are still dry.

10. eagles405

eagles405

The trip was great! We did not get to go as long as we wanted to because my friends knees started giving him problems and it filled up because of spring break so we left a little early. I will post pics of the trip and give more details when I have a faster computer and hi-speed. Thanks for your help everybody.

Eagles 405