close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Multi CPU computer

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ATI_RAGE_, Sep 7, 2004.

1. ATI_RAGE_

ATI_RAGE_ 1911 Fanatic

Ok guys I need to know who here has built a multicpu PC. I am looking to build really an ultimate workstation, here is what I am looking at right now :

Two Intel Xeon CPU's 2.8 ghz 800mhz FSB
    Motherboard: Intel SE7520AF2 or IWill DJ800
    RAM: 1 Gigabyte of Dual Channel DDR2
    Video Card: ATI 9600 SE

Now what Operating System would suit it better Win XP Pro, or Windows 2000 or 2003? By the way I plan on having it dual boot Linux as well, any suggestions their? I was probably going to go with SuSe or Mandrake.

2. PlethoraGreen

PlethoraGreen

Out of curiousity what exactly will you be doing with the workstation computer that would be too taxing for a single cpu box?

3. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

If you don't have any programs that take advantage of Symmetric MultiProcessing (SMP)

There is no reason to waste you money on such a project.

I have configured many a server for such purposes but a workstation really doesn't need it.

4. PlethoraGreen

PlethoraGreen

That was kinda my point without flat-out saying it.......

5. gudel

gudel

we've got couple of dual cpus at work. they run scsi ultra wide though. very nice machines indeed these dual cpus.
    one guy built one at work with scsi raid, you click on photoshop, as soon as you let go the mouse button, photoshop comes on ready to go!!! ;P he uses win2k. others use Server 2003. kick *** workstation.
    our mainframe has 32 cpus. i guess you don't really need that ;)

note to others: you do not need to have multiple guns. you only need one. ;Q
    i only need one but i have multiple guns. why is that?

6. PlethoraGreen

PlethoraGreen

That's a bigger reason for the performance boost than having 2 cpus.

Anytime you are loading programs (like photoshop) watch your cpu usage and the lights from your hard drive being accessed. You'll soon seen why it opens so quickly on a scsi setup.

7. ATI_RAGE_

ATI_RAGE_ 1911 Fanatic

It'll be used basically for personal use mainly AutoCAD is used quite frequently for our homebased business, also I program C/C++, Java, Visual Basic, so added power would just speed up my work. Instead of waiting 45 min to compile I can be done in less time which gives me time for corrections and so on to the code.

Also I can use it to practice against for chess tournys.

8. gudel

gudel

the non programmers non renderes just won't understand why you need dual. just like some of people here, why you need a gun ;f

hook it up man, tell us how it goes.
    fyi, photoshop supports multi proc system, it's not just the ultra wide scsi.

9. PlethoraGreen

PlethoraGreen

Not when it's being opened. That was the comparison you were making. I never said it couldn't benefit from having 2 cpus, but there is a point of diminishing return.

10. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

I’ve built and owned several multi-CPU computers, X86 and SPARC. Multi CPUs aren’t about speed, they’re about load carrying capacity. If you’re hauling trash to the dump and what you’re carrying is never more than a single pickup truck can haul, buying a second identical truck won’t get the job done any faster. Buying a single faster truck to start with, however, is another story.

That said, in my previous job I had 3 quad-Xeon servers running 2K3. IMO, it’s the best Microsloth OS ever. However, it is a server OS and some non-server apps (like Norton AV) won’t run on it. If you can live with its restrictions/limitations, it’s as good as Windblows is gonna get until Longhorn is released (hint: don’t hold your breath).

I was impressed with the Xeons, too. Analyzing log files after months of running a distributed computing program, I documented that they did 25-30% more work per clock cycle than P4s.

As for *NIX, why not BSD?

11. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

if your're going to install linux, i've heard nvidia makes better drivers than ati.

12. ATI_RAGE_

ATI_RAGE_ 1911 Fanatic

I think I like the BSD option, what do you suggest? OpenBSD or FreeBSD?

Edit: Currently I run an AMD 3200+XP with about 1 gig of dual channel ddr2 RAM. Clock speed on it is about 2.23ghz, so the 2.8ghz xeon would be faster for sure( faster truck). I like also the idea of SCSI as to minimize bottlenecks. I thought about going with SATA.

13. Tennessee Slim

I think FreeBSD is weapon of choice among the *NIX geeks I rub elbows with. NetBSD probably is second, more likely to be preferred by old timers, main framers and code writers.

14. younggenious

younggenious

Absolutely. Nvidia puts much more effort into their Linux drivers than Ati does. But, If you go with Suse, you can use the "patch of death" that will make virtually any video card work. The downside is that you will certainly have poor performance.

Mandrake for a workstation? ;0

SuSE hands down. Also, have you taken a look at Debian?

15. ATI_RAGE_

ATI_RAGE_ 1911 Fanatic

I have not taken a look at Debian for a few years about 2 now but I'll give it a look.

16. T. Harless

T. Harless

17. Tennessee Slim

I can't believe that sat so long without getting flamed!! Then again, I can't believe the disciples of BSD didn't recoil in horror when its name and Leenuks were spoken in the same sentence. Musta been a sale on 'Ludes or something.