close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mudslide

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by freepatriot, Feb 17, 2006.

1. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

You guys were the first ones I thought of when I read this. I hope you are all safe and doing well.

- Scott ;c

<strong>Hundreds feared dead in Philippine mudslide</strong>

MANILA (Reuters) - Hundreds of people were feared dead in the central Philippines after mudslides triggered by heavy rains buried houses and an elementary school /packed with children on Friday, officials and witnesses said.

Footage from local television showed only coconut trees and a few tin roofs sticking out of the reddish soil after part of a mountainside collapsed on the farming village of Guinsaugon in Southern Leyte province.

"Rescuers are scared because they can still hear the mountain rumbling," said Maria Lim, the mayor of Saint Bernard town, where a minor earthquake was felt on Friday morning.

Rain, chest-deep mud, blocked roads, washed-out bridges and lack of heavy equipment were hindering rescue efforts. Relief flights and digging were suspended for the night.

"The troops pulled out because big boulders are cascading down the mountain," said Colonel Raul Farnacio, in charge of the military's relief operations.

He said 15 bodies had been recovered and 36 survivors found in Guinsaugon, a community of about 1,860 people.

"Help is on the way," President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo said on television, adding navy and coast guard ships were rushing to the remote coastal area.

Rosette Lerias, governor of Southern Leyte, said the local school was full of children and also women who were celebrating the anniversary of a local women's group.

"I don't see any homes, I don't see any buildings. It's just mud," she told CNN. "Oh God, this is truly tragic."

One survivor, Didita Kamarenta, feared for her children.

"I felt the earth shake and a strong gust of wind, then I felt mud at my feet," she said. "All the children, including my two children, are lost. They might have been buried."

In Geneva, the International Federation of the Red Cross said it feared the death toll would be high since 90 percent of the area was affected by the landslide.

"A relief plane is flying from the capital of Manila carrying 1,000 body bags, emergency trauma kits to help 1,000 people, rubber boots, ropes, clothing, flashlights and medicine," it said, adding it released about $150,000 in initial assistance.

The U.S. embassy said a navy vessel, in the Philippines for annual military exercises, would help with the rescue efforts.

2. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Thanks for the thought Scott!

Our countrymen in that island were the most affected. Most of the BOGs are based in Manila, though I'm certain some of us have friends/relatives in that area.

And thanks to Uncle Sam for lending a hand;?

3. Django

Django

Thanks for the concern Scott. God bless you.:)

4. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

I'm glad you guys are okay, but it would still be good if all the BOG's checked in. You never know who travelled where when, right?

S ;c

5. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Checking in from Northern Luzon. Thanks for the concern, Scott.

6. jerrytrini

jerrytrini

Thank you for your kind thoughts Scott.

Jerrytrini checking in from Nissan Open to see Tiger Woods tee off.

7. vega

vega

Thanks for the concern Scott.

vega

8. casmot

casmot Re membered

Thank you Scott. I'm here.

9. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

10. RATRAT

RATRAT

Thanks for the concern bro.

11. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

12. hnard

hnard

Thanks Scott.

13. isuzu

isuzu

Thanks, Scott. It's a good thing that US Forces are conducting military exercies and civic missions in the Southern part of the Philippines. In that way, they could respond faster to tragedies like this.

Looking back, rescuers and their equipment from Clark and Subic helped when a BAC-111 of the Philippine Airlines overshot the runway at NAIA in the late 1980's.

In the early 90's US Forces from the two former US bases played a big part in the rescue efforts when the earthquake struck Baguio.

Again, a sad event for our country.

14. iMD

iMD Young Member

Thank You for the concern Scott, really appreciate it:)
    checking in from Manila sir#wav

15. isuzu

isuzu

Update for BOGs and guests who are out of the country:

US military begins aid to Leyte landslide victims

First posted 10:18am (Mla time) Feb 18, 2006
    By Tonette Orejas
    Inquirer

CLARK SPECIAL ECONOMIC ZONE --The United States military's joint task force overseeing the Balikatan 2006 exercises is sending a survey team to the landslide site in St. Bernard town, Southern Leyte province on Saturday to assess what humanitarian assistance the residents require.

"We don't want to give help that they don't need," Captain Burrell Parmer, Balikatan public information officer told the Inquirer to explain the aim of the survey.

The task force's team of engineers and medical personnel will take off from this former US military base on board a KC-130 cargo plane, Parmer said.

He did not say how many members were in the team but said it was staffed with "adequate people with the right skills" from the US Army, Marine, Air Force, and Navy.

The incident in Southern Leyte is not expected to affect the schedule of Balikatan 2006, which starts on February 20 in the provinces of Sulu Cebu and in the region of Luzon.

16. gunfool

gunfool

thanks scott. checking in from xiamen,china

17. riddler

riddler

It is at times like this that I (and probably most of us Filipinos overseas) really wish I was home to help. I am sure that those folks need all the help they can get, especially from trained medical personnel. ;1 ;1 ;1 ;1

18. isuzu

isuzu

Aside from highly trained medical personnel, add sniffer dogs that are being used to locate people buried at avalanches and collapsed buildings. I believe the Swiss rescue teams have lots of them. Heavy equipment, trucks with all wheel drive capabilities, and mobile hospitals would also be of great help in this kind of tragedy.

19. toxic

toxic

My family is far away from Leyte and im 10 more hours away by plane.
    "Toxic" here checkin in from the Mid east. Hope the rescue team dig out more survivors before the mud solidify..

Thanks for the concern Scottauld.

20. akula

akula BizDuc NM Millennium Member

Problem right now is the volume of mud that has to be shifted just to get to the possible survivors. I think most effort should be on the site of the elementary school and gym. According to reports, it is as high as 10 meters, and ground is quite soft and unstable. Hopefully ground sensing radar from Taiwan or from US Navy could help.

From USN website, it is reported that their LHA (USS Essex) and LSD (USS Harpers Ferry) are now near the area. Their hospital facilities would rival that of the first class hospitals in Metro Manila or Metro Cebu. Plus, their heavy lift helos could quite make a difference especially for relief effort. Most of the roads going to the affected barangay are also damaged.

Let's just hope that a few of the survivors could hang-on...