close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Much ado about nothing

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by gruntmedik, Jun 18, 2012.

1. gruntmedik

gruntmedik Honk Honk CLM

2. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

"This was a somewhat risky move on the part of scientists."

Really??? The Hubble was grounded due to the Challenger accident when I was taking college Astro classes. We "knew" then that the galaxy was full of stuff - even, and especially, in areas that "looked" empty.

Now. . . I'm far far far removed from college Asto, but how can a galaxy (which is matter) travel away from us FASTER than the speed of light??? (Esp. when. . . LIGHT from it indicates that. Light that travels back from a speeding-away-at-light-speed galaxy FASTER than that.) I'm thinking their making some of this crap up.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

3. garyo

garyo Millennium Member

Sure does make one feel insignificant doesn't it? Very amazing!

4. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

I love that stuff. When I got the net for the 1st time I spent 2 days just on the HST site.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  5. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

You're thinking of standing in one spot and watching a car drive away. You're actually in a car yourself watching the other car move away from you as you both accelerate. Neither of you can accelerate faster than light but you can both move away from each other at a combined speed greater than 126,000 miles per second. Plus, the closer something is to the edge of the universe the faster it's expanding away from us and everything else so those galaxies are probably some of the fastest moving matter in the universe.

At least I think that's it, but I just totally pulled that out of my butt so I could be wrong.