close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Muay Thai vs Krav Maga

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock!9, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Glock!9

Glock!9

I have 2 gyms near me that offer MMA style lessons. I am considering either the Muay Thai or the Krav Maga gym.
    Does anyone know the pro and cons on both?
    I am 32, out of shape and overweight, I wrestled in HS and was pretty decent.
    I have taken years of different types of Martial arts but it has been a good 10 years since the last class.
    Any thoughts? I want to get back into shape and in practice regularly.
    Thanks,
    J

2. Marine8541

Marine8541 iseedeadpeople

I do Krav Maga and BJJ. Simple fact was that when I went live just Krav Maga wasn't cutting it when the fight went to the floor. My gym also has Muay Thai and it's more physically demanding workout than KM. If you're simply looking for a fighting style I'd look at something that teaches some ground techniques. If your goal is to get into shape I'd look at some cross-fit along with what ever fighting style you choose.

The biggest fallacy I hear from people is you don't have to be in shape to do KM or BJJ. That's just bull.

3. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

If you carry daily, I'd lean toward KM and learn to incorporate it into accessing your handgun. I would feel out the instructor as many are (or train) LE and would understand your goal.

ETA:

I respect both arts, both have pro and con. The con with MT is that it is a sport. It's a brutal sport and one that lends itself to SD, but it's a sport. You wont' find a focus on firearms, knives, etc.
    While you will with KM, the downside is that it can be very castrated if it is taught as exercise rather than dynamic SD. You'll get out of it what you put into it.

I like KM a LOT as an entry into SD and mindset.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  4. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

I thought this was going to be about medical marijuana.

5. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

One is a sport and one is about survival at any cost. What are you looking for?

6. shavedape

shavedape

It is. The posts are all in secret code. Shh!

7. Orion's Belt

Orion's Belt Boost Addict

It depends what the reason is that you want to do it. If it is to get back into shape as well as learn some self defense practices, I'd go with Muay Thai, as it is more physically demanding. If you want to learn strictly self defense tactics, then Krav Maga would be the way to go.

8. nky1129

nky1129

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

9. BLiTzNicK

BLiTzNicK Silent Member

Amen!! BJJ (Gracie) kicks my butt several times a week. I'm doing it mostly for the workout, which is incredible. I've dropped 10lbs in 6 weeks, and toned up quite a bit.

You don't realize just how old you are until you start rolling with 20 year olds in excellent shape. I have to say that it's the most fun I've had getting "beat up".

To answer the posters original question, I'd take Muay Thai if you're just looking for a workout.

10. bamarammin87

bamarammin87 h8tr

Go ask on martialartsplanet or martialtalk.com. My vote is muay thai. Krav maga is nice, but you can't go full out sparring with it. A very good muay thai guy will whoop a very good krav maga guy any day. He's used to getting hit, knows his timing, and has hit people full force, while they're resisting. There's alot to be said for bjj, muay thai, boxing, and wrestling. A guy good in those is worlds ahead of guys in the other arts. Because they spar, roll, grapple, against real live resisting opponents, trying to do the same to them.

11. metrogruntual

metrogruntual o__O

do one m, w, f

the other t, th, s

12. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

13. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Isn't one a drink?

14. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Muay-Thai is what I did throughout my teens before eventually migrating into professional MMA. Muay-Thai is going to be brutal on you if you are out of shape.

On the other hand, if you plan on getting back into shape, Muay-Thai is devastating when it comes to hand-to-hand combat.

Watch this video from beginning to end. Ramon Dekkers, my idol to this day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIHeyyLsBwU

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  15. The AmBASSaDEER

The AmBASSaDEER

This..

I take KM and love it.

16. KindaBigBullet

KindaBigBullet

They are all good. It's about how well you know it, or how well you utilize what you can learn. All martial arts are the same. They all have their twist to it.

It's like the question : Which Glock? Stick with what you are comfortable with. Not everyone is as limber, so pick one over the other. Not everone is heavy handed, so on and so on.

17. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

That Dekkers guy is one hardcore little dude. He puts an amazing amount of power on the point of his punches and kicks.

18. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

The art (though I hesitate to describe Krav as an "art") being taught matters a whole lot less than the knowledge level of the instructor and the teaching methods he uses, and that matters a whole lot less than YOU, as the student.

Do whichever one you'll show up to, and work hard at. Someone who busts his *** and trains hard at friggin' Tae Bo, and gets into good shape with it, is going to do better in a fight than someone who half-asses it with the deadliest martial art known to man. Whichever school is a more reasonable commute for you, whichever you can better afford the training for, whichever you know you'll attend regularly, whichever will work you harder...is the right school for you.

Worry less about the theoretical, hypothetical, "rankings" that make one martial art "better" than the other -- worry more about how much you'll put into the process.

19. johnb847

johnb847

If you aren't sparring (hard), you aren't really learning to defend yourself.

Ask about sparring sessions; if they say 'we don't do that here'...move on.

20. bamarammin87

bamarammin87 h8tr

:thumbsup: