MSN Mesenger and IP ports

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by 45acp4me, Sep 16, 2005.

1. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

Does anyone know if the ports used for MSN messenger changed? Mine will no longer work behind the firewall when I upgraded on Monday. It works just fine at home still, but I only use it to talk to co-workers so it's useless now.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

This was the old info as of Feb,2002.

“To enable the use of MSN Messenger Service: Open outgoing TCP Port 1863, and configure it so that sockets on this port are open for extended periods of time.”
    “To enable the use of AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) integration with MSN Messenger Service (Windows only): Open outgoing TCP Port 5190, and configure it so that sockets on this port are open for extended periods of time.”

MSN Messenger and NAT Routers

This is from the Linksys site:

Product Class:Routers, Other,

Operating System:Win 95, Win 98, Win ME, Win NT4.0, Win 2000,

P R O B L E M

My NAT (Network Address Translation) Router will not work with the MSN Messenger's File transfer or Voice connections.

S O L U T I O N

As explained on Microsoft's support page, Client computers that use a NAT router are not able to use MSN, The Microsoft Network Messenger Service version 3.0 program to transfer files or establish voice connections. This problem occurs because MSN Messenger file transfer and voice features do not work through NAT routers because there is no NAT editor to correctly translate the IP header information.

This is MSN Messenger's software limitation. Linksys Routers will not be able to bypass this until an appropriate NAT editor is available.

This is what MS says about it now

If you are using a firewall, make sure that MSN Messenger is allowed full access through the firewall. For more information, see the firewall documentation.

Here it is.Current info

Common ports

MSN Messenger

1863/tcp

Yahoo! Messenger

5050/tcp

AOL Instant Messenger and ICQ

5190/tcp

IRC (Internet Relay Chat)

6665-6669/tcp

DNS

53/udp

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/topics/networksecurity/firewall.mspx

3. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

Well it's on my work laptop and everything has worked fine until I upgraded versions. Even with the upgrade it works at home, just not at work anymore. :(

I appreciate the googling, but it must be some setting on the work firewall.

Thanks!
    Glen

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Why don't you try Trillian and see if it will work?