Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have password, so I check OK, Windows proceeds to open. How can I get rid of this useless step ?

·
Registered
27,983 Posts
I don't have password, so I check OK, Windows proceeds to open. How can I get rid of this useless step ?
Its under user settings I think... Something like Start/Control Panel/Users or something like that

IGF

·
Annoying Member
2,201 Posts
Go to Start - Run type "control userpasswords2" w/o quotes press enter, Clear the check box for Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer, and then click Apply.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sgt. Schultz

I did as you said, I think, but now I get message saying I can't get in for some password conflict.

To review:

I went to
Start
Run
typed in 'user passwords2' w/o quotes
Cleared the box you refered to
clicked 'apply'

Edited to add, I see my error now, I did a system restore, so I'm back in, will try again...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tryed again, same results, MS insists on a password, so I typed in 'owner' as the was there already as 'user name'. Same results, I'm locked out.
Do another systems restore, I'm back in.

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jtemple

This thing is like MS messenger, very tough to get rid of!! I did as you suggested, Same results as before. program asks for password then confirm, Should I just disregard the password request,

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I get past the Password window, but must click on it, BUT it's still there, I would like it if it was gone and Windows can go ahead and open my Email program in the morning, while I get my coffee.

·
Annoying Member
2,201 Posts
Ok, I get past the Password window, but must click on it, BUT it's still there, I would like it if it was gone and Windows can go ahead and open my Email program in the morning, while I get my coffee.
Don't know what to tell you, I just tried my original post (control userpasswords2) on an XP machine twice ... using both the Welcome screen and standard login and I was able to turn it off and back on.

·
Sheriffs a near
7,135 Posts
There is a chance you have something installed that requires you to login (even with no password).

Although I think it usually grays out the options. It does in my case at least. May even be worth trying this logged in as administrator to see if you get better results.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sgt. Schultz

One more try, I have gone to the tweak login, and the control passwords2 ways [ both same place] Can either you or Jtemple tell me, when I am at the place to uncheck box and click Apply, what turns the window OFF, it shows User name as owner and asks for password I just must click in password area, and Windows continues to open.

Driving me nuts!!

·
Annoying Member
2,201 Posts
Things that make you go hmm ...

Why not try creating a totally new user, do not require a password and see what happens.

·
Annoying Member
2,201 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The passwordv requirement is gone, but the Login Screen remains, and requires a click on OK to continue to open Windows.

???

·
Annoying Member
2,201 Posts
The passwordv requirement is gone, but the Login Screen remains, and requires a click on OK to continue to open Windows.

???
Just did this ...

Go to Start - Run type "control userpasswords2" w/o quotes press enter, Clear the check box for Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer, and then click Apply.it

... again to a different user and the login box disappeared, don't know what else to tell you.

·
Getting older every day!
2,944 Posts
Ok, this is a long shot, but try it.

Control panel-users-change the way users sign in

Uncheck the "use welcome screen" option.

Is this what you're referring to? :dunno:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts