close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

MS Movie Maker Problems

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Cali-Glock, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

I put together a short (2 minutes and 30 some odd second) movie using about 8 clips and two or three titles and a mp3 for audio using MS Movie Maker. Movie Maker kept crashing on me each time I inserted a new clip, but eventually I got it together. Each clip was fairly large/high resolution - typically 1-10 megs each but I figured that should not be a problem.

Once I finished the movie, I first tried to get it to make a final move at the highest quality -17 megs. I went to bed and woke up to find that it had not even begun and said it was going to take over 300,000++ minutes to render and that time still growing and 0% of the video completed. I tried again reducing the size to 2 megs, and left for work... several hours later my wife tells me it reads less than 1% completed and 70,000+ minutes to complete it.

ARRG!!!

I think we are running a 2.6 (it may be a 2.9 or something I forget) P4 with 768 megs ram and something like 80 or 90 gigs of open hard drive space. The only movie I have made before had one video clip, and a couple dozen pictures and title slides set to music - it was simple, easy and exported the video quick and effectively.

What am I doing wrong? Or is my attempting to use this MS software what I am doing wrong?! :supergrin:

2. malkore

malkore

Its probably the fact that you're using movie maker to make a fairly hefty file, higher resolution, etc.

i've only used media maker to capture video off my miniDV camera, because my Adobe Premiere can't communicate with my particular camera. so once i get all my clips, I use Premiere to edit it.

crunching video is EXTREMELY processor intensive. I have a dual core processor, a SATA hard disk, and 2gig of RAM and it still takes me 2 mins to render a 5 minute video with relatively few cuts and transitions, plus a full audio track.

3. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

I crash Movie maker every now and then making movies for You Tube.. It's just a crashy piece of software.. NeroVision is a little better crash wize but with slightly fewer effects.. Sony Vegas is better yet but too complex for us average movie making slugs..

4. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

ULEAD DVD Movie Factory 4 has worked for me for 2 years, and my home/family/friends movies are awesome, with background music, custom titles, captions etc...