Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent a good part of Saturday tearing down my reloading bench/area. Have the home for sale. I've accumulated way too much stuff in the 15 years since I moved in!

Lessons learned:

I don't need this much brass! Lugging quantities of brass that had been stashed for years was telling. When will I use it? Why do I keep adding to it? :crazy:

The bench I made disassembled nicely and will reassemble nicely too. These are the plans, and I recommend them.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAZegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw1yDMIAvG1H3bxJ-1A9tXwo

I haven't started to move the lead ingots in the garage. Thankfully I don't have nearly the supply that Fred has!

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,514 Posts
Can't stand moving, and every house I buy is my last house and last move. I'm on my third, last house right now - but I mean it this time! :eek:

I moved last time and then gave away a 5 gal bucket of shot-once .308/7.62, and I gave away quite a bit of factory ammo to a 501 (c) (3) "charity".

·
Registered
19,641 Posts
The last time I moved, I made a lot of trips with one of those plastic egg crates filled with loaded ammo, or bullets. The stuff is heavy and it tends to accumulate. As for brass, I have been collecting .223 brass since 1981 and never reloaded any of it. Most of my other brass is loaded up and has been reloaded a bunch of times. I don't know how I'd move it all next time.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Taterhead, I feel your pain.
We moved into this house about 15 years ago and the next time I change addresses will be after my bones hit the dust for the final time. What a pain in the ars that is!
I'm not moving but I really needed to do this. In 2019, I completely cleaned my reloading shop and inventoried everything! I too have collected quite a bit of brass, too much in certain calibers and maybe not enough in others... maybe? For the most part, I quite collecting brass.
I do have some lead that I don't need. Scored a good size container of some fishing sinkers and a few ingots a few years ago, I thought I might try my hand at casting some bullets, but thats not going to happen now.
Good luck to ya, and thanks for the bench plans.

Reactions: Taterhead

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I just moved after 35 years in the same house . I think moving the shed stuff was the worst thing for me . I was dreading moving the gun safe the most . But i guess that i have gotten smarter , because it was a breeze to move this time . I had to move everything twice , because my house sold while I was still building my new house . That was a pain , or more of a inconvenience , especially living with someone for 4 months , but I am grateful that I have family that would take me in and help me move , twice .

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Yeah, how far? The easier is inside of 50 miles with overlap so one can take time moving stuff. Able body friends are a plus also.

Been here since 1996, wouldn’t be easy to do a long distance move. The only place I think about moving is SD, maybe someday.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
My plan is to let my kids deal with it after I croak. If I go first, my wife will do what she loves: throwing things out.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I am doing that now . My dad died 3 years ago and my stepmom died last April , at the same time I was moving . We’ve had an estate sale in October and I just listed the house for sale . I hope this virus doesn’t hurt the sale .

One thing I learned is your treasure is not worth much too anyone else . I am at a point where things are going to be thrown and given away .

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
We’ve been talking about moving for the last few years. Only question is where; Florida? Arizona? The Carolinas? We just can’t decide. That, and I moved about every five years during my career and even when it was paid by the company, I HATED it.

Since I plan to live forever I guess I’ll have to deal with the issue sooner or later. :)

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
December '91 and the company I worked for offered me a position where I am now in S.C. I worked Thursday in N.Y., packed our stuff Friday, drove 800 miles Saturday, unpacked Sunday and showed up for work Monday in S.C. Yes, the SOB's gave one day off to move! Crazy!
March '92 and we buy a house, so we get to move again. Still in it though. The only thing I'd like to see move now would be my kids... out!

·
Sir Arthur if you Puh-leeze!
1,621 Posts
I spent a good part of Saturday tearing down my reloading bench/area. Have the home for sale. I've accumulated way too much stuff in the 15 years since I moved in!

Lessons learned:

I don't need this much brass! Lugging quantities of brass that had been stashed for years was telling. When will I use it? Why do I keep adding to it? :crazy:

The bench I made disassembled nicely and will reassemble nicely too. These are the plans, and I recommend them.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAZegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw1yDMIAvG1H3bxJ-1A9tXwo

I haven't started to move the lead ingots in the garage. Thankfully I don't have nearly the supply that Fred has!
Thanks for the detailed plan, Taterhead.
That's very close to the bench I am redoing, but I am a terrible carpenter. The plan already had shown me the errors of my ways.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Take unnecessary brass to a scrap metal yard and last time I got nearly a buck a pound. I cast but scrap yards will get you about half a buck a pound, casters will cry over that one.
I save all of my scrap brass including spent primers and 22s in a 5 gallon bucket that weighs out at 60-70#. I am working on my 4th in 6 years since escaping CA.

·
emeritus
3,882 Posts
Rookies. I've moved 13 times. Yes, 13! Thank the military. My wife and I have mastered the art of moving.

If you were to come into my house, you might be inclined to ask if we were moving. There is very little on the walls, most rooms are near empty. Things with emotional attachment but seldom used are kept in boxes. I'm done with materialistic things. If I don't use it at least once a week, it's gone. Truthfully, we are much better off for it too.

Tater, if we lived on the same side of the country, I'd throw my boots on and come right over. Stressful times for sure. Congratulations on the new home.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Taterhead: I’ve been, and still am, a full time Realtor for over 39 years. I understand the pain you and others have and are experiencing. My wife and I have moved every 8-12 years and each time it gives me more compassion for what I put my clients through. PS: I can find a good home for those buckets of 10mm Brass you don’t want to move ;-)

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Take unnecessary brass to a scrap metal yard and last time I got nearly a buck a pound. I cast but scrap yards will get you about half a buck a pound, casters will cry over that one.
I save all of my scrap brass including spent primers and 22s in a 5 gallon bucket that weighs out at 60-70#. I am working on my 4th in 6 years since escaping CA.
I keep a box that I toss unusable brass into and take it to the metals recycler as needed. What I'm going to do is stop adding to the stash, unless it's 10mm, then I'll always snag those rare gems. 9, 40, 45, 223 etc. I have no need to keep adding. I've sold some brass recently and it pays more than the recycler.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,190 Posts
Where are you moving too?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the detailed plan, Taterhead.
That's very close to the bench I am redoing, but I am a terrible carpenter. The plan already had shown me the errors of my ways.
It is an easy project with a table saw. Those long rips were the more challenging thing for me with my cheapo table saw. I did not put the cabinet doors on mine, so that simplified it. I think I would have liked it less with the doors.

Well, back to work I go.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Over my working career we had four corporate relo’s. One contract person took care of everything. You almost look forward to moving.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts