Moving to Western North Carolina

Discussion in 'Carolina Glockers' started by Doc Mac, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Doc Mac

Doc Mac Millennium Member

as the Topic states, I'll be moving to Western NC to take a job that will have me covering that area, and SC as well. I would love to hear the opinions of those of you already in that area about what its like and where to look for a place. Charlotte to Asheville are on the table. Pro's , cons, places you like, etc.. My Labrador and I love hiking and "the woods", shooting ( of course), hoisting a few at a nice brewery, and great restaurants. It's just he and I and we can do as we please. I have a 3-6 mos timeline to get there, and will be hoteling it a few nights a week there until moving day. Fire for effect!

2. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Well I liked N. Carolina, but your moving to the leftist side. I haven't been there since the 90's and from what I hear it has taken a turn for the worst.

3. BGDaddy

BGDaddy Nurse Extraordinaire

I lived in Asheville for 3 years. It would be difficult to find a more liberal place. Good beer, great restaurants, tons and tons of lesbians, ridiculous taxes, crazy high cost of living, horrible traffic, and no one wears deodorant. But there is great hiking, and did I mention beer??

After living there for 3 years, I ended up going to the other side of the mountain and buying a home in Tennessee. I still have friends in Asheville and visit when I can though.

Intolerant and Doc Mac like this.
  4. BGDaddy

Way, way worse.

Intolerant likes this.
  5. Dave514

Dave514

Spent a lot of time in Ranger, NC and no libs there.

Doc Mac likes this.
  6. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

The greater metro area of Asheville should be able to supply whatever community or demographics you'd like even though Asheville proper definitely has a reputation of being liberal. If you haven't read around on City-Data, you might find some useful conversations:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/

Depending on where your business demands are between NC & SC, the Hendersonville area puts you close to Asheville and right on the interstate to be in better striking distance to SC.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/969251-asheville-vs-hendersonville.html

Doc Mac likes this.
  7. DrewBone

DrewBone

I cannot speak of the Charlotte area, but I can about Asheville; it's just another progressive city that so desperately wants to be bigger than it is. About the only thing the area has going for it in my opinion are the numbers and assortment of different medical facilities. Other than that, just like NYC it's too expensive to live there but it's ok to visit once in a while. There are nice surrounding towns that aren't so hoity-toity or as happy and gay, such as Arden, Fletcher, Leicester, etc., that you may find favor with.

My home is roughly 45 miles south of Asheville, fairly close to the SC border, and although there are no big box stores in my area I certainly don't mind driving into SC to get to one...it's flatter traveling and easier on my vehicles vs. driving 1,100+ feet farther up 7º to 8º road grades to get to Hendersonville and Asheville. Also, in regards to flying in and out of the area, I prefer to drive the slightly longer distance from my home to Greenville-Spartanburg Airport as the flights are less expensive than flying in and out of Asheville Regional Airport.

You don't have to let the liberal ways of Asheville sway you away from western NC; as much as it's residents and business' would like the rest of the world to believe, Asheville is in no way representitive of the majority of NC residents, and there are plenty of other towns outside the area where you can live happily and enjoy the low property taxes, scenery and natural surroundings, and friendly and courteous people.

rotorhead1026 and Doc Mac like this.
  8. Doc Mac

Doc Mac Millennium Member

Thanks to all for the replies. I had heard from many sources about the "lefty" issues in the Asheville area, didn't know about the cost of living until I started looking and rent/apt. Quite a shock.

9. rotorhead1026

rotorhead1026

Like many urban areas, the further you move away from city center, the more “normal” people get.

Asheville has the saving graces of being very dog friendly and having good local beer.

10. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Doc,send me a Private msg.I live in Asheville,have lived here/Buncombe Cty for years.I can help you out.'08.

11. Intolerant

Intolerant

Not a place i would move back to today. There are better choices still out there.
    I think of Asheville NC as being the Austin Texas of NC. Very liberal.

12. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

I agree,but the outskirts are solid Red.'08.

BGDaddy likes this.
  13. BGDaddy

I'm driving down to Erwin, TN to look at some property tomorrow. Close enough for the beer, far enough from the crazies!