Moving to SC next Spring. Questions?

Discussion in 'Carolina Glockers' started by Rusty Guns, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

We plan to be moving to the Akin area next spring.
    Our Daughter and Family live there now.
    Right now we live in Florida, need to know about carrying with my Florida Permit, when we visit, and during the move, and while waiting for SC Permit.

2. northslope66

northslope66

you mean aiken? i live a few miles from there. you need to check on the Sled ( south carolina law enforcement division) website to be sure , but i think you have a certain anount of time to change from florida to carolina permit . there is reciprocity i know that. not certain on what transpires when you move here. aiken is a friendly place , but the traffic is horrible for a town of its size , summers are worse than florida imo. its pretty common for this area to be the “hotspot “ of the nation in summertime

cwsmith17 likes this.

3. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

Thanks northslope66, for the info.
    We will be between Beach Island and Aiken, still have some things to work out. We are leaving tomorrow to go up there.
    Will probably be there for two to three weeks.
    I like your Avatar also Jack Daniels.
    I wonder how the prices of Pistols compare up there to Florida?
    I have been thinking about getting a Good used S&W 38, or 357 to load with shot shells for snakes.
    I don't think they would work in my Glocks.
    I can get a nice S&W model 10 with 4" barrel for $350.00
    How would that compare to up there?

4. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

Rusty I see your location is now here in the wonderful palmetto state. how are you enjoying it here?

5. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

So Far So Good.
    I am slowly learning how to get around the area.
    Having a little difficulty getting license plates and Driver's License. One was my mistake, Wife's vehicle was in her name, not mine. I had to bring it back home, and get it signed.
    They would not accept my Birth Certificate, it was from the Hospital, not from the City. I used that Certificate to get into The Houston Fire Dept. EMT and Paramedic Certification.
    Law Enforcement in two states, Armed Security, at a Nuclear Power Plant, with FBI Investigation Certification, and Clearance. But it was not good enough for a Drivers License? Lol, I'm 71 years old and trying to sneak my way into the DMV system and get a driver's license.
    Then When I contacted the Dept. of Vital Statistics, I had to take a Picture of my Florida Drivers License and send it to them by Email. She sent me an Email the next day saying everything was good and she sent it by mail that day. That was Wed. so Friday I set a new Appointment for the next week, the first time I could get. In the Mail Friday afternoon, it came in the mail. Opened the envelope, and it was for a 13-year-old girl of Mexican descent.
    Of course, DVS was closed for the weekend, when I called.
    Probably was for the best, my Language may not have been quite up to par to be talking to a young female.
    When I called her Monday, I had cooled down and made fun of the situation. She seemed to be more upset than I had been, less the language.
    She had me write Void across it, and send her a picture of it. Then she sent me another Birth Certificate with my name on it, By Fed-Ex, and included a Fed-Ex return envelope to send back the Voided one, and instructions for Fed-Ex to stand by while I put the Voided one in it. I have another appointment
    For tomorrow afternoon to get it all done.
    Wish me luck. My last appt had been at 10 o'clock, and Fed-Ex got there at 2. I went to town to try, and they said to go back home and make another appt. and come back.
    Another week I was beginning to think about just using my Florida license it doesn't expire for two more years.
    The only problem I would have to drive back to Florida to vote.
    Twenty years ago to get my license I just walked in gave them my Alabama license, took my picture, gave them some money and they handed me my FL license.
    Ten minutes I was out the door. Got my Voter registration too.

6. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

wow! sorry to hear you're going through all of that. perhaps it is due to this new "Real ID" thing, where you can use your DL at airports instead of passport. I never opted for it. But like you 20 years ago, when I walked in to the SCDMV, handed them my old DL, they snapped a photo, had a new one in hand, 10-15 minutes, and was off to the gun store.

7. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

I'm getting too old for jumping through anything, much less hoops.
    I don't even jump into bed anymore.
    It's getting done, they are going to pour the footers for the slab today.

Lowcountry_Glocker likes this.