Moving to Oregon (Oregonians chime in please)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jade Falcon, May 14, 2020.

1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

So my offer on a manufactured home was accepted last night, and I'm moving to Sweet Home, Oregon by the end of June. It's a town just south-east of Albany, and about 17 miles from Lebanon. It's 80 miles from Vancouver Washington, and I've never lived in Oregon before.

-What are the gun laws like? I've heard that they are actually better than Washington's gun laws in some respects. Does Oregon have this same Universal Background BS that Washington does? What do FFL's usually charge for background checks and transfers? What's the wait periods like? How much for a CWP, and do I have to take a class?

-Has anyone here been to Sweet Home, and if so what is it like? I've only seen pictures. Are there good shooting areas out there? It looks like I'm going to be living at the foot of a national forest; I would love to go shooting there if possible and avoid the ranges if I can.

Thanks fams.

Joshhtn likes this.
  2. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

Congratulations! I've only visited Oregon a few times but I was so very impressed with everything about it though that was ten years or so ago.
    Beautiful state and people friendly. I didn't care for Portland but once we escaped the city, life seemed much better. I came very close to moving there. Always wished that I did.
    I really know little about gun life in Oregon.
    Best of luck and enjoy your new home.

Jade Falcon likes this.

3. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Thank you. The Columbia River gorge is absolutely one of my favorite places to visit, especially on the Oregon side. Highway 84 is a madhouse though.

4. 9jeeps

9jeeps rip "Bud"

My Wife was raised there. Her father was a care taker at the Cemetery for years . She Graduated High School there. Then off to Seattle to become a School Teacher for over 26 years.

Her Brother designed the Solar(?) for one of the main street buildings.

She was raised on a small place on Ames Creek. We almost settled there after retirement from Seattle.

Her Sister and Brother live there still. We used to go there almost every weekend when her mother was getting old and Feeble.

We know the area well but seldom go there the last 20 years. Most of our friends and relatives have died off. Or moved away. Wife's whole fam- damily are burried there.

I really wanted to buy the Home place but it just didn't work out for us to get it, our careers wouldn't let us out of Seattle at that time.

Ames Creek ran right through it. I loved it there.

Nice town. Homey and fun. Lots of fishing in the Reservoir and rivers in the area.

We generally went to Lebanon for Wal Mart when it was new.
    And then To Albany or Salem. Just for the fun of it.

To us Portland was a drive thru city as we lived and worked in Seattle.

We liked going to the Coastal beaches a lot. I would go there in a heart beat,,,, today. We are what is known as elderly. So we don't travel much these days.

Something about Sweet Home and the area.... I really miss going there. It was like home.

I used to go the the Gun shows in Portland, (Rose City) Bought several handguns from that area. Gun Laws. I believe they are a little less strict that WA. I carry a CWP for WA. But not OR.

A lot has changed over the last 20 years. But If you like hunting/Fishing Sports..... Zowwie!!! If you like four wheeling and Desert life. Just over the hill eastward in Eastern, OR, is a paradise.

'Cept Bend has turned into a big city now. But I like Sisters better.

You have my envy..... Good luck and enjoy!!!!

PS Google Sweet Home, OR

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    pgg00 and Jade Falcon like this.
  5. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Thanks!

6. Flags

Flags

Congratulations Jade. I have never lived in that area; was born in Astoria and graduated High School in Prineville.
    Left Ore in 74 and returned when retired to Central Oregon. Missed the Ocean so just moved last year the opposite direction as you and ended up in Grays Harbor.
    Oregon taxed my retirement income and Wash does not. i prefer the sales tax when I buy something rather than an income tax but that is me.
    The gun laws are fairly similar. Both require a FFL transfer between individuals unless immediate family. I was paying 25$ in local gun store for transfers.I have not pursued a CWP in Wash. It was easy and quick in Oregon but I do believe it depends on the County Sheriff; I may be mistaken.
    I have family in Astoria and Prineville so close to either and no income tax.
    Sweethome is a pretty area, as is all of Oregon and Wash to me. Close to beaches, close to mountains, and close to desert.
    I distrust the I-5 corridor in both states but i am sure it is not as bad as Portland/Seattle.
    Good luck and I think you will enjoy it.

SleeperSS, 9jeeps and Jade Falcon like this.
  7. ok doke

ok doke

Oregonian, Born and raised. I live about an hour south of Sweet Home. Oregon used to be very Gun friendly but in the last several years the Libs have been on a major campaign for some ridiculous gun control. So far they have passed a few. They keep trying for more and unless we can get a few more conservatives voted in starting with the POS governor i don't think it will be much longer before its a mirror of California.
    CC permits are controlled by County Sheriff. I think Sweet home is in Linn County. check there web site for requirements.
    Ive learned that once you get the permit you go to the front of the line for background check at the local gun store.
    Sweet home like a lot of pacific northwest towns used to be a rip roaring back in the timber harvesting haydays. Now its got a reputation for lot of meth tweakers but it seems to be getting better. There are two good sized reservoirs. Foster and Green Peter. lots of water skiing and fishing out your back door.
    One of the few towns that still has a A&W with carhops.
    For the most part I think its a good place to live. lots of outdoors to enjoy.
    Congrats

9jeeps and Jade Falcon like this.
  8. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Yes, we have UBC. Going kitchen table rate is $25. CHL fees vary by county. Longest I've waited for a background check was about 5 min. They are often done before I even get to the FFL. You need CHL training, but there's no prescriptive requirement.

Lots more shooting opportunities on the east side of the hill. There are plenty of gun people and shooters over in that area though, and lots of shooting activities throughout the state. Outside of the metro areas, it's mostly gun-friendly.

tuica and Jade Falcon like this.
  9. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Yeah, I'm under no illusions about that hag governor and the push for gun control. My first two choices were Idaho or Wyoming. But circumstances dictated that I had to take this house in Sweet Home. Thanks for the input!

9jeeps likes this.
  10. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Good to hear, thanks!

11. CrashFF00

CrashFF00

As an Oregon resident, Oregon CHL's are SHALL issue - meaning they HAVE to issue it unless they have cause for denial. You do have to apply at the Linn County Sheriff in Albany.

The 'Proof of Competency' is the fun part of the requirements: https://www.linnsheriff.org/services/concealed-handguns/

Oregon Nonresident (i.e. for Washington residents) are MAY issue, and the sheriff's offices can be dicks and deny for whatever reason they want. The non-resident application actually asks for a justifiable reason why you should be issued an Oregon CHL. I live in Vancouver as well, and have tried 3 times for my Oregon CHL through Mulnomah County, and I always end up having my interview with one lady that looks like she's been sucking unripe grapefruit and been denied. (I work at English Pit Gun Range on the weekends in my spare time)

Jade Falcon likes this.
  12. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

I'm not applying until I get my Oregon Driver's license and change my address permanently. So I'm not concerned about the May Issue for non-residents. But thanks for the info all the same....I didn't know it was even a May Issue statute in regards to non-residents.

13. CrashFF00

CrashFF00

Yeah, and it's getting worse.
    More and more Oregon counties are doing this BS:

"IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR OUT OF STATE APPLICANTS
    The Linn County Sheriff has changed his policy on issuing concealed handgun licenses to non-residents. First, you must possess a CHL from your home state. Due to differing requirements, an out-of-state concealed handgun license may not satisfy the competency requirements (if they do not, please refer to the “Proof of Competency” section at the top of the page). Second, your reason for wanting a CHL must have ties that are specific to Linn County (this can be by either family that resides in Linn County or the ownership of property/business in Linn County) which will need to be specified in a letter written to the Sheriff that you bring with you when applying. "

14. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Any chance I could apply at a neighboring County? Preferably one that is Red.

15. Flags

Flags

Sorry Jade. County of residence as ea Sheriff issues for their residents.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  16. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Sigh. Dammit.

Thanks bro.

17. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Enjoy but, Oregonnis a even more Liberal than Washington

Jade Falcon likes this.
  18. Gaston_Convert

Gaston_Convert

Welcome to Oregon, @Jade Falcon. Sweet Home and Linn County are red. Lots of recreational opportunities around the area including hunting and fishing. It's within a couple of hours of the coast, the mountains or the drier climes of Central and Eastern Oregon. (Bend is considered central.)

It used to be that if you had an Oregon CHL, background checks were unnecessary. Former Governor Kitzhaber got that changed so now all firearms purchases and transfers require a background check. FFLs generally charge $35 for private sales checks, otherwise they are $10. A CHL currently costs $50 for 4 years.

Right now, because of the pandemic, forest lands are pretty much locked up, but that should start to change Friday as Linn County begins to reopen under Phase 1 of Governor Kate's plan. (She's not especially popular outside of the blue metro areas.)

It will be a big change, maybe even a culture shock, moving from Vancouver / Portland to Sweet Home. If you like small town living, you should like it there. It's not as isolated as it once was. There's a four-lane highway from I-5 to Sweet Home (except for parts going to Lebanon). It used to be a logging town with many mills, but there are only a few left now. The remnants of the old Santiam Lumber Mill (once a major employer owned by Weyerhauser) is slowly decaying behind the new police department building and Bi-Mart. Weyerhauser still owns thousands of acres of timber land in the area, but access to their land is limited, same as in Washington.

light-switch and Jade Falcon like this.
  19. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Thanks Gaston! I do indeed like small-town living, though I have limited experience with it in my life. Nevertheless....there is a Safeway nearby for my groceries, and gun shops around, so I'll be fine on that front. I'm in the process of having $1,300 worth of work done on my car, so it's good for now but having a mechanic for future repairs/maintenance is a plus as well.

Other than that, my only concern is internet. I was just looking, and I'm not thrilled with the speeds I'm seeing that are offered for Sweet Home. The best is Xfinity, but my parent's had that and they hated it. I have CenturyLink currently and I really like it, but their speeds aren't great out there in Sweet Home. I was hoping for 100 or even 200 Mbps.

Do you know of any places to shoot out in the sticks in that area?

20. pgg00

pgg00

Congratulations on your new place

Pepiot and Jade Falcon like this.