close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Moving to Douglas, Wyoming. Any locals here?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by drider, Jun 14, 2012.

1. drider

drider

hi all, I got a temp federal job in Douglas Wyoming and was wondering if there are any locals here that can give me the down load in that town? Give me a shout if there are or if you've driven through the town. My country living is happening. Let me know on places to shoot etc.

2. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

No trees.
    Lots of wind.
    Wyoming Law Enforcement Academy home.
    A short hop to Casper, which also has no trees and lots of wind.
    Good bird hunting in Glenrock to the south.

HH

3. KenInColorado

KenInColorado

There is a great restaurant next to the railroad tracks in the downtown area. The Depot I think? It's in an old train depot anyway. Always really good food. I'm not local but stop there for dinner on the way from Denver to Gillette.

4. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

this.

You'll be hanging in Casper alot.

Douglas Wyoming's official website: http://cityofdouglaswy.com/

Casper's page: http://www.casperwy.gov/

Another: http://www.casperwyoming.info/

I guess I would add that it is brutally cold in Wyoming in the winter time, I lived in and graduated from HS in Sheridan, just to the north about 2 hours on I-90.

You will also get to see the sites in and around Mt. Rushmore over in SD. There are some fantastic tours in caves there too, Wind Cave is one I have been to a few times.

5. BuckeyePPC

BuckeyePPC

I was told by a friend who lived in Rawlins, Wyoming that Douglas was the prairie dog capital of the world, in case you enjoy whacking them.

6. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634 :):

Prairie dogs aren't as plentiful as they used to be, but you can still find 'em if you try.

I live in Casper, 50 miles west of Douglas, I know Peachy used to live here, but I wouldn't say the winters are "brutally cold", (Peachy has been down south fer a spell:winkie:) But they can be unpleasant. She is right on the money about the wind though. My wife calls it "Windoming". But, you will be right next to the Medicine Bow mountain range, fine elk hunting, antlope and mule deer on the prairie, good bird hunting and Glendo reservoir just 40 miles away if ya happen to like walleye and trout.

Douglas is the birthplace of the Jackalope, which is pretty much it's only claim to fame. Natural Bridge and Boxelder canyon are close by also.

I've not spent much time there but entertainment may be a bit hard to come by, Casper will be the nearest "big" town (50,000, WY.'s largest) with movie theaters, restaurants, the Events Center and what passes for a mall.

There are coal mines and uranium mines nearby (nearby is relative, this is WY). Cattle ranches and maybe a few small farms to the east.

All in all not a bad place to be IMHO, I've thought of moving there myself since Caspers gettin to damn crowded.

ETA There is a shooting range in Casper, our Archery club uses it also (Lost Arrow Archers). I don't know about Douglas though, Mostly I go shoot on state or BLM land.

ETA again, As of last year Wyoming joined the exclusive club of states that don't require a permit to CC. You can get one though since we are also a "shall issue" state. 8 hour gun safety course and a clean background.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  7. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

you are spot on about me being a "sothren" wimp!!! I used to never wear a coat here in the winter, now days I get too damned cold.

I recall back in the day while in Sheridan, I would say it was in the early 80's we had a spell of cold weather that came down out of Canada. Temps were -30F and -40F. Wind chills of -80F!!! Serious!!! :shocked:

They call those cold air masses Alberta Clippers......brutal stuff.

The winters seem to have moderated over time. I read the Sheridan paper online and they will get single digits a LOT in the winter and it's been known to snow year round up in the Big Horns.......

8. drider

drider

Thanks all! I love fishing and shooting, atl peach girl thanks for the insight, lone wolf I'll give you a PM maybe we can get together go shooting fishing? I'll be alone out there.

9. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

I love Wright, a small but growing little town between Douglas and Gillette. Beautiful country, more antelope and jackrabbits than people !

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  10. Wyoming

Wyoming

You are going from Los Angels California to Douglas Wyoming?

No problem. Just never say "in California we do it this way...." and you will be fine.

After you adjust to the altitude.

The wind.

The dryness.

The big wide openness.

In time you may not want to ever life in crowded place again.

11. Jim1970

Jim1970 Learnin'

Hello,

I too live 50 miles away in Casper. Besides all the other excellent input, the other thing that will require an adjustment for you will be the nearly complete absence of a commute. Especially given where you are coming from. And, there is not much in the way of culture here - meaning little for art, theater, etc. Doesnt bother me, but my wife (from Sacramento) hates that part of Wyoming.

Good luck!

Jim

12. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

For you Casper guys...is that Italian restaurant on CY Avenue where you had to walk through the kitchen to use the one bathroom still there? I want to say Bocci's (or something like that). What about the Horseshoe Bar on the way to the airport/Shoshone? It's been years. HH

13. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

I used to live somewhat in that neck of the woods. I really liked Wyoming. I liked Montana, too, but preferred Wyoming. It's the one place where I felt absolutely free.

It's hard to find work there, and when the work went away, I had to go, but I'd have stayed forever, if I could.

14. Fox184

Fox184

There is the strip joint out north of town. Wow! that place is nasty so don't go there. The Tokyo "massage" place finally got shut down a few years back. It only took the authorities years to figure out what was going on there.:whistling:

Douglas is a nice little town, though there isn't a lot to do there. While you are there spend time in the outdoors. Fish the Platte, hike up Laramie Peak, see Glendo dam, drive the backroads.

15. LawScholar

LawScholar

My advice? Enjoy.

I've lived in Wyoming my entire life. I need to leave soon, for personal reasons, but it's a state where people truly mind their own business for the most part.

I'll miss it when I go.

16. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

I was unaware that there are a LOT of WY people here!!!

:wavey:

17. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634 :):

I'm not familiar with the Italian restaurant, But I suspect you may be speaking of Bosco's.

The 'Shoe is still out there in Mills, still as run down as ever.

18. drider

drider

Glad to listen to all of your advices and conversations. I spend about two 1/2 months in a small town in Durango, CO so I'm use to the smaller city and smaller population, no traffic so I'm excited to head back to it. Regarding concealed carry, correct me if I'm wrong but is it not that I need to be a resident of WY for 6 months before I can have that right to carry concealed?

19. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Bosco's! Thank you! Great little place...is it still there? HH

20. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Ah, Tokyo Massage. Gotta love a "massage parlor" that shared the same building as a game processing plant. HH