close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Moving to DFW (McKinney/Plano) area. Ranges?

Discussion in 'Lone Star Glockers' started by mechanica, Jan 14, 2010.

1. mechanica

mechanica Texazonan.

I'm going to be moving to northeast DFW, McKinney specifically, in June. I've been wondering what type of ranges Dallas has to offer. I've looked on Google, but I'd like to get an insider opinion as well, if possible. I shoot pistol and rimfire rifle right now, but I am planning on adding an AR (or something of the like) in the near future. I also really enjoy shooting trap. An indoor range is nice for pistol, but I'd like to know I have an option to shoot outdoors, as well.

I'm coming from Arizona, and we've got a fantastic multi-range facility in north Phoenix called Ben Avery. Everything you can think of there, all on one facility. I'd highly recommend it if you're ever in Phoenix.
    Website: http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ben_avery.shtml
    Map: http://www.azgfd.gov/images/outdoor_recreation/benavery/FacilitiesMapLarge.jpg

If anyone has a favorite place they like to shoot, I'd much appreciate any info on it. I'm also interested in getting involved in friendly competitions/shoot-arounds. Finally, I'm sorry I wasn't born in Texas, but I'm getting there as soon as I can.:wavey:

2. trifecta

trifecta

http://www.gunandknifesupply.com/main.sc Our local gun store. It’s only been here a few months. Firearms inventory is a bit limited but if you need an FFL or gunsmith, give them a shot. They also have a decent selection of knives.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    Academy is local and well stocked. Some of the employees actually shoot.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    http://www.apgtraining.com/ I’ve been meaning to get out to this place because it looks pretty good and is less than 30 minutes east of McKinney.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    http://falarak.com/ranges.aspx A list with most of the local ranges. Bullet Trap is a typical indoor range and has a decent selection of firearms if you want to rent something. The Garland range is outdoor and has a trap area. Ralph’s up in Tom Bean is a lonely field with a berm. It is cheap and they only ask that you not break the law. No range master, rapid fire ok, from the holster, whatever. Just use normal common sense safety precautions. Bring your own target stands.

Go take a CHL class. No open carry in TX if you aren't LE.

I wasn't born here either my friend so it's all good. I'm in McKinney, so PM if you need anything at all.

3. usurp31

usurp31

Trifecta gave you some good info; adrenaline proving ground is a nice place to shoot; I shot there with Collin County IDPA before (http://www.ccidpa.org/). Welcome to McKinney.

4. theGreenAggie

theGreenAggie

http://www.bullettrapinc.com/
    Located in Plano, this is the best indoor range in DFW IMO. Staff is very knowledgeable, range fee is only $7 with a membership. Buy guns there, but get ammo and accessories elsewhere (ammoman.com, cheaperthandirt,com, Academy, etc).

Check out Meetup:
    http://www.meetup.com/Dallas-Target/
    I went to one steel-plate match with this meetup group last summer and it was fantastic. The range was outdoors off of Belt Line in Carrollton.
    http://www.dallaspistolclub.com/ Owns the land / range I think. Through the meetup group you can attend events on a one-off basis and pay for them. If you want normal accesss to that facility youll have to get a membership I think. Very worth it if you can do the driving out there on a regular basis. They have several handgun and rifle ranges, as well as 5 steel plate ranges and one large course that can be adapted for training.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  5. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

There's a range in Tom Bean, TX. It's basically a guy's back yard with a big berm as a backstop. You pay $3 per person on the honor system. I've been out there a bunch, only seen the guy once. He was cleaning a tractor & just looked up & nodded. You do not need to police up your brass. Bring your own targets & stands though. There's not always a stand there. I always bring targets, stand, heavy duty stapler. There's a bench to lay your stuff down. You can do whatever you want there. I frequently draw & fire from a holster, etc. As a side note, some people get freaked out that there is a 7-11 down the road, about 300 yards away. I've seen cops drive by the range & they don't even blink an eye, or even look over for that matter. It is not in the line of fire.

From Dallas:

1. Head North on US 75 until you reach exit 53 in Howe, TX
    2. Take exit 53 and stay on service road until you reach
    Spur 381.
    3. Turn right on Spur 381.
    4. Turn left on SH 5.
    5. Turn right on FM 902. Stay on FM 902 out of Howe.
    6. Continue on FM 902 until you reach the range at FM 902 and Job Bob Rd in Tom Bean.

Here's the GPS coordinates:
    N 33° 31.212'
    W 096° 29.809'

You can copy/paste that to google & it will make a map for you.

There will be a large cell tower. On the left side before getting to Joe Bob road, you will (sometimes) see a jacked up school bus, park behind it, in front of the large outside storage building. Walk straight ahead between the two buildings, the money envelope will be in the left, the range straight ahead. The directions make it seem hard to find, it's not. It's just out in the country. I did a mapquest before I went out there the first time, making Howe the center, that's where all the turns are.

Let me know if you have any questions. I've heard that he is thinking of closing it, so please be respectful & LEAVE MONEY. In fact, I usually leave more than is required. I'd hate to lose this one.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  6. mechanica

mechanica Texazonan.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm really looking forward to my move after I graduate in May.

7. webb3201

webb3201

I shoot at the Bullet Trap once a week and like it as well. They have about 20 bays that are well lit and clean. Be careful as they have a large selling floor which has claimed many of my dollars.

8. aerod1

aerod1 NRA Life Member

Does Ralph's range in tom Bean have a rifle range or is it just for handguns?

It's a shame people don't leave him their money.

9. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

You can do either. He has a close bench setup for handguns & one out further for rifles. It probably goes 50-75 yards.

10. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

NOT ANY MORE! Idiots caused Ralph to close the range indefinitely. Don't bother going out there. It's gone. :steamed:

11. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

:wow: When?!?! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crying: :crying: :crying:

12. trifecta

trifecta

Dang it! Do you know what happened? I've been wishing all this craptastic cold/wet weather would go away so I could get back out there.

13. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

That pisses me off. :steamed: I always left at least $10 per person. We always made sure to clean up & make it look better than when we came. I wish everybody would've done that. :crying:

14. trifecta

trifecta

The few times I went, I always cleaned up as well. There was boxes and junk people were using for targets laying around-never a ton or anything. Picked up my brass/steel and whatever else was there(I don't reload so gave it to a friend)-I actually left him my contact info and told him to call if they were ever doing any work on the range. Sad to see a no frills, close to my house range go away.

15. mechanica

mechanica Texazonan.

Well, that blows. I was looking forward to that range. Sounded great for drawing from the holster and having more freedom than other places. Anyone know of any other options like the Tom Bean range?

16. trifecta

trifecta

Looks like I will be back to shooting at my dad's place. It's just as close, just have to make sure the horses don't get downrange. :supergrin:

Maybe Ralph will reopen before you move.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  17. RCP

RCP

What happened that caused Ralphs to close? I'm officially all out of places now to shoot a long gun :crying:

18. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

I don't know for sure. I bet it was jerks who refused to clean up after themselves. There were more than a few. :steamed:

19. joseywales

joseywales

Dallas Pistol Club is a good place for drawing, reloading, shooting on the move.
    It's a private club, but all matches are open for public participation during the match.

If you like shooting steel plates, moving, reloading, etc. - check out the Tuesday After Work match series

20. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

I went by there the other day passing by. There was a big RANGE CLOSED sign with a phone number. :crying: