Moving to DC!

Discussion in 'Maryland/D. C. Glockers' started by Happy Hunting, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Happy Hunting

Happy Hunting

Hey gang,

I got hired off the Hill and will be moving to DC in 5 days. I am not super excited about leaving behind my awesome toys but that AR+ACOG will always be in Alabama waiting for me.

First, a couple of questions: is it even worth applying for a firearms permit? I have two handguns, a revolver and a 1911 (so the 10 round aspect isn't an issue), and I would entertain taking either one or both if I thought it would be worth the trouble.

I have heard (on the internet FWIW) that the MPD can give gun owners an especially hard time if stopped for anything and they may also come to my residence to "check up on me" to ensure I am following the rules. If I can stay off their radar entirely I will, because I foresee myself living in DC for the next 5 years or more. I will also be living with other guys I don't know and don't want to be inviting potential trouble for them. This is unavoidable due to rent costs.

I have never been arrested or any of those other things on a 4473 so I can't think of any reason I should be denied. However, that assumption is based on an Alabama understanding of 2A and DC is a different animal. Do they often snub people with current carry permits and who already own the firearms?

Second, I like my knives too but I don't have a single folder less than 3''. My EDC for years has been a ZT 0301 but it looks mean and won't go well with a suit. I like nice things but don't want to drop a ton of coin on something and lose it to the Russell/Capitol Building security folks if I unexpectedly have to go over there for work. Alas, that excludes a Chris Reeves small Sebenza and it looks like I will get a couple of SOG microns.

I'm looking forward to starting my new lobbying job and will be living in Glover Park.

I'd love to meet some fellow GT'ers up there so shoot me a PM if you want to kill an hour sometime.

2. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

ever thought of crossing the bridge and living in the free state of Virginia?

3. sgtbones

sgtbones

Live in Alexandria Va. 15 mins or less from D.C. High crime rate in D.C. and you are not allowed to defend yourself. I know several people who work in D.C. and live in VA. Avoid Maryland not AR friendly state,
    Va is

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  4. ArtyGuy

ArtyGuy

This is a great area-- traffic is a bear though. But there are so many things to do here.

It may be too late but if you aren't locked in to Glover Park, I would definitely look at Virginia. Plenty of metro access- if you're working at/near Capitol Hill you can either take a bus there or hit one of 2 metro stops (Union Station or Capitol South).

Go to the NRA range and museum when you get to the area.

5. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Northern Virginia; it's not even debatable!

6. Happy Hunting

Happy Hunting

Thanks for the insight guys. If I end up staying there long enough I will probably move to Alexandria/Arlington/Rosslyn/Ballston. I hope fast Terry doesn't ruin that gun friendly side in the meantime.

I knew that about bullet casings. Ridiculous. Cheers to "common sense" gun laws.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. Dave514

Dave514

My condolences.

8. swinokur

swinokur

Don't move to MD. It just plain sucks.

NOVA is your ticket to freedom

9. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

I lived in Maryland five years. If there is a place with a higher total tax rate than Anne Arundel county, Maryland (they even have county income tax), I don't want to know about it.

I lived in Arlington, VA for a year. All I can say about Arlington, is that they should be glad they are next to DC, because that is all that makes northern Virginia look good.

Crowded, insane traffic, horrible weather, lots of crime, liberals in charge everywhere, restrictive gun laws, high taxes.

I don't miss it.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013