Glock Talk banner

Moving to CO

1762 56
I’m moving from NH to CO (Roaring Fork Valley area) and was wondering what the gun climate is there. The county I’m moving to is considered a Second Amendment Safe Haven. I’ll be driving and bringing my 2 Glocks, 3 ARs and my 870. I’ve been all over but never to Colorado. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
What a coincidence. I just fled Colorado. It looks like you will be moving to the around Aspen. This is a very affluent location. Lots of history and seems really nice. I cannot speak to the gun climate there. There is no gun registration requirements in Colorado although mags are limited to 15 rounds if purchased new. The closer you get to Boulder and Denver you are the worse it is for gun owners. Getting a CCW isn't a problem but takes 45-90 days if that is something you want.

The further west and south you go the better the mindset is that a gun is a thing and not a deadly viper waiting to strike out blindly. Aspen is a ski town so they tend to be more like Boulder than they do Grand Junction but that could be limited to the municipality; I've only ever driven through that town as I lived in Colorado Springs.

My .02¢ only.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Unfortunately it’s getting worse in in my opinion in general but not everywhere. I am in weld county and that’s one of the best and actually a lot of us want to join Wyoming. It’s absolutely true that boulder and denver are the worst as is reported to me by my law enforcement patients who I talk with about carry. I also agree with what Hudson69 said.
I am also seriously considering moving because of the political “climate change”.I am convinced that the election situation is also not good. Look up the 6/17/21 “emergency rules for voting systems “ issued by the Colorado Secretary of State that was issued in response to the Arizona election audit. It made it illegal for third parties to access voting equipment in the state of Colorado essentially. Also there have been ads about how reliable elections are on TV, and I’ve even seen it on YouTube once. The point is, you don’t need to buy add time to tell people that everything is safe and secure If it truly is. Also it’s interesting to note that “ By accident“ 30,000 documents were sent out to illegal aliens helping them to get registered to vote. She admitted that was a mistake but I don’t believe her.
I also know a patient personally who is elected to the Colorado state house, and after one term decided it was a total lost cause. Wish I could say better, but that’s my honest assessment after living here since late 1988. I moved here by choice and loved this place is a great conservative haven being one of the reasons I moved here originally. I’ve watched these changes take place and it’s kind of scary. Sorry I can’t say better.

·
Super Moderator
7,697 Posts
Moved here in 1980. When my Mom passes, we will flee at least the metro/Liberal cesspool that CO is becoming, if not the whole state.

I LOVE hunting and fishing and outdoors...and there are so many groups here now that see me as the total problem with America. I have been harassed hunting and fishing, and I won't even climb 14ers anymore. Too many fruit loops that are destroying the wilderness while whining about fossil fuels. They voted in wolves, and traipse through the Elk birthing areas causing large amounts of spontaneous abortions due to stress. They love abortion so much they make the Elk do it too.

Guns, actually not bad all things considered, except mags over 15 rounds, not in your possession prior to July 1, 2013 are not legal to possess. UBCs as well. That said, they increased their numbers in the legislature and I am sure a sweeping gun bill will be coming soon. They paved the way last session by the removal of pre-emption. It is going to be brutal. The 15 round limit is, again being put to the test under a suit. If that is a win, which it should be, it might stall the inevitable some.

CO is kind of like the US. Pockets of whacko libs and pockets of MAGA zealots, but most out of the 7 front range counties are generally conservative US loving folks that just want to be left alone.

·
Supreme Member
4,516 Posts
Right now, the state is not too bad as far as being gun friendly. Not great, but not horrible. However, it's very likely to get worse real soon.

The Dems have total control of the state government. The Dem governor was just re-elected by a landslide, and Dems picked up even more seats in the general assembly where they already had the majority in both the house and the senate.

Their victories in the midterms have emboldened them. They were already talking about passing more gun control laws during this upcoming legislative session, and then the Colorado Springs shooting happened. So expect them to go full retard with new gun laws. They have carte blanche to do whatever they want, no one can stop them. It remains to be seen how bad it will actually be.

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
Just moved back post retirement. The gun climate can vary considerably from one location to the next. Areas like Denver, Boulder, and Fort Collins are very different than the rural areas in the state or a western slope city like Grand Junction. Unfortunately, the major urban areas are kinda in the driver’s seat in the state legislature at the moment.

I believe the Rocky Mountain Gun Owners ad the National Foundation for Gun Rights are the organizations which filed suit regarding the mag capacity limit. They had some success in an earlier suit against the city of Superior, Colorado, and I’m hopeful they’ll prevail here.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I’m moving from NH to CO (Roaring Fork Valley area) and was wondering what the gun climate is there. The county I’m moving to is considered a Second Amendment Safe Haven. I’ll be driving and bringing my 2 Glocks, 3 ARs and my 870. I’ve been all over but never to Colorado. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
If you’re into firearms, stay out of Colorado. There are firearm aficionados in other states who are controlled by Leftists in the big cities, so don’t think you’re safe just because you aren’t in the city.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Gun climate matters and doesn’t matter. I’m in one of the most rural, red parts of NYS with gun lovers all over on every side of me. There’s zero difference culturally from where I live compared to places in middle PA, WV or Kentucky. But guess what? We don’t make the laws and our people aren’t big enough to outvote the clowns from the major cities. So we are stuck with the safe act, 10 round magazines, moving mountains to get your CCL etc.

sucks man, you’re moving from one of the best states in the North East to a soon to be California. I would deal with the snow and cold for freedom. I think I’ll be selling my place soon and skipping on back to Texas myself next year. I’ll miss the abundance of trees, wood burning, hills, general geography, but I just cannot live in a damn state this restricted.

·
Cuhootnified Roamer
11,589 Posts
The first time I visited CO in 2007, it was almost heaven.
The last time; during COVID in 2020, it was a lot less appealing. Still beautiful and traces of what it was were still there, but the California cancer has made the patient terminal. Sad to say… Nevada is on the same trajectory.

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
C'mon down to Louisiana instead.

It's not called The Sportsmans Paradise for nothing. Hunting, fishing, boating, camping...and we like our guns.

Stand Your Ground, Shoot the Carjacker Bill, Open Carry, are all laws on the books and hopefully soon, Constitutional Carry will be added. New Orleans and Baton Rouge are liberal turd buckets, but the surrounding parishes/suburbs are not.

No mountains though. 🙂

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thats an area map and doesnt really reflect the population. Unfortunately the population centers are deep blue.
This map is eye opening:
View attachment 1135290
I was simply illustrating where some of the Blue originated in the big city population centers, some is where the "Blue Cancer" has spread, and some of the Blue is due to where minorities settled after the Civil War. Also, how so much of a state can be controlled by such a small area or one big city. As Red as Texas looks, in the previous two presidential elections only 52% of the state voted for Trump. For comparison, Oklahoma was 65% for Trump.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts