close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Moving to CA from NJ

Discussion in 'California Glockers' started by jptsr1, Sep 12, 2006.

1. jptsr1

jptsr1

Possibly moving to CA from NJ. I’m looking for info on transporting (and keeping) the firearms I already own into the state. Does anyone know what I have to do or have a lead to which law enforcement agency I need to contact to get the info?

J.

2. ISRAEL_FTW!!!<3

ISRAEL_FTW!!!<3

3. Fred

Fred Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Yep, that's the place. Be aware that CA, like NJ, is pretty anti-gun and has a lot of regulations in place that you need to know about. For example, CA considers you an "importer" if you bring handguns into the state, and requires that you register them and pay $14 per firearm for the privilege. :upeyes: Needless to say, many people moving here probably don't do that.

Good luck with your move, and study that web site carefully.

4. HarlDane

HarlDane

You will need to register any handguns with the State, I believe NJ allows 15 round mags, in CA 10 is the limit, so any mags that hold more than 10 will have to be left in NJ, if you own any guns on the AW ban list you won't be able to bring them with you.

5. elsolo

elsolo

Bring pistols that are not on teh CA-DOJ approved list and sell them at a premium here in CA.

6. jptsr1

jptsr1

thanks! i took a look at the site and it seems like all i have to do is get rid of some mags for my G21 and pay 76 bucks. thought it would be much worse.

J.

7. HarlDane

HarlDane

+1 If you have extra cash and want to make a little profit, buy some non approved hand guns. They are legal to own, and you can still bring them in if your moving here, but new ones can't be sold. I believe STI frames are one of the more desired items.

8. jptsr1

jptsr1

Not that I'm not interested in making a profit but buying guns in jersey is not as easy as just walking into a store with some cash and walking out with a shiny new gun. I wouldn’t have time to secure the purchase permit if the move comes as quickly as it is supposed to.

J.

9. jptsr1

jptsr1

On that same note, I was wondering how literally they enforce this part?

“Ammunition feeding devices with the capacity to accept greater that 10 rounds may not be transported into California.”

Does this mean don’t get caught bringing it into the state, don’t get caught with one in your possession or don’t even think of being in the same room with one?

J.

10. HarlDane

HarlDane

If a person was to bring in an illegal mag, and keep it in the gun safe they would probably never be caught. But if you can't use it whats the point? If you do use it, say in a self defense situation during a home invasion, and in the confusion of the moment forget to swap it out for a legal mag before LE shows up, you could be in for some trouble. IMHO it's not worth it.

11. jptsr1

jptsr1

Good point. Ill just find someone to leave them with. I was one of those people who didn’t think the weapons ban would ever sunset and bought 5 extra mags for my G21 when they were 60 bucks a pop. I can’t see myself just throwing them out.

J.

12. Fred

I don't know where you're moving to in Kali, but if it's around Orange County, you can PM me for local info if you want to. Good luck with the move.

13. Mark9Fogger

Mark9Fogger Headed to WA

NJ probably has as many stupid restrictive gun laws as Kalifornia. Except here hollow points are legal for non-LEOs.

14. jptsr1

jptsr1

Somwhere close to El Segundo. Is that near Orange County?

J.

15. jptsr1

jptsr1

Hollow points are not really illegal here but I get your point.

J.

16. Fred

El Segundo is in LA County near the airport, but not that far from Orange County. It's probably about 40 to 45 miles away from where I am.

17. jptsr1

jptsr1

any tips on how to get the guns there. by the way its Emeryville now instead of LA. anyone fly into san fran or oakland with guns lately? should i take them with me or ship them?

J.

18. JTB

JTB always learning

should not be a problem flying with them. If you have a bunch airline might squawk but CA will be the receiving end and should not even know they are in your luggage. I am afraid when I move, I drive them.

19. jptsr1

jptsr1

just in case anyone ever does a search on this topic looking for information, the trip from Newark to Oakland was absolutely uneventful. Newark TSA was 100% professional and went by the book. Only issue I had was the fact that my guns were left unattended at the large bag pickup in Oakland while I waited for them to come out of the hopper with the rest of the bags (totally my fault).

J.