Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
On the day of your birth death began stalking you
9,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Especially when there is a wife and 3 kids involved. Nuff said gotta get back to work.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Yeah, I'm moving in ~3 weeks for so. Absolutely dreading it. Granted it's only 3 miles away, but still.
Definitelty hiring some young strong backs for this.

Reactions: Trench Sweeper

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
My past 3 moves I have resigned myself to having the movers pack. We do the unpacking but they box everything up. Not a huge increase in expense to have them do it.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Yes it does. My next move is going to be back to NC in about a year. Hiring packers ,movers, and someone to move my stuff. We're driving back with the dogs in an SUV towing a small trailer with a few things we need. Hopefully my last move ever.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I thought that I remember being taught in the military that moving is high on the list of life's stressors. Just looked, and couldn't find it, but it should be on it, if it isn't.

Reactions: Trench Sweeper

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
I hear what you are saying and couldn’t agree more.

BUT, before I retired I moved around a lot. I had four transfers in five years. Let me tell you, a corporate relocation is great. You really feel special, no stress at all. We actually looked forward to moving - another adventure. Of course, this all happened after our kiddos were grown and out of the house.

·
Registered
12,994 Posts
I need to stay put until they move out first and take their junk with them.
Take your antidepressant medicine. Older brother - 4 daughters. Never moved their stuff out of their rooms. Oldest one is now in her 50s.

My kid. Never moved his stuff out. I rented space and put 36 boxes into storage. After a couple of years, I reduced it to six large boxes that I sent to him UPS, gave the rest to charity. He still hasn't opened the 6 boxes some 10 or so years later.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I'm actually right in the middle of a semi-move. I'm moving the soon to be ex's stuff out into a PODS container to be shipped to her. It's been much more work than anticipated. Some of it is the physical work, but mostly the decision making process. She left over a year ago and most people would have just tossed her stuff out or had a big yard sale, but I'm trying to be fair, which is surprisingly difficult.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I’ve actually found out three children to be excellent moving helpers. We’ve Had two 1000+ Mile moves in the last four years. And they have done most of the packing. Kind of nice. I went to work, came home the house was packed.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Take your antidepressant medicine. Older brother - 4 daughters. Never moved their stuff out of their rooms. Oldest one is now in her 50s.

My kid. Never moved his stuff out. I rented space and put 36 boxes into storage. After a couple of years, I reduced it to six large boxes that I sent to him UPS, gave the rest to charity. He still hasn't opened the 6 boxes some 10 or so years later.
Ha! I believe it. But I learned a trick from my folks.

After my sibs and I had moved out (and, of course, left all kinds of junk behind) my parents packed all our stuff in tubs and labeled them with our names. The tubs waited in the basement until each of us visited them in turn. We were told as we were about to leave, "You will take your tubs with you today or they will be thrown in the trash tomorrow."

I took my tubs. And now, not only is my house cluttered with my kids' stuffed animals, toys, Legos, & games, it's also cluttered with my own stuffed animals, toys, Legos, and games from my childhood that my kids play with! Sneaky parents!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts