close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Moving Outlook address book

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Fireglock, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

OK I've been using the same laptop for 5 years and just recieved a new one. How do I move my Outlook address book from the old one to the new one? Contacts, Calendar, Notes and Task were easy but I've forgotten how to move the address book and I sure don't want to repopulate it! I'm sure I knew at one time or another but it escapes me right now. Both have XP home, the old one is Outlook 2000 and the new is Outlook 2003. :(

2. ric0123

ric0123

search for the *.WAB file. That is your address book. Copy that to the new laptop, overwriting the one thats already there and you should be good

3. Tom34

Tom34 Obama Must Go!

File > Export

4. rwojcik

rwojcik

This is the right track but if you use any of your personal folders, I would do a whole backup of it. Export to a file, select personal folder file (.pst), check sub-folders and put it on some portable device ie, thumb drive or other to import on new system (may have to put on HDD first then move to CD or other device). This should get all of your folders providing you were using the personal folders and not on an Exchange server. Keep in mind that if you have a lot of useless data ie.. deleted items, sent items and old emails; you may want to dump these prior to this operation as the pst file could get large.

5. Fireglock

Thanks guys but the problem is deeper than I thought. The way Outlook 2003 is set up on the new machine you can't actually have an address book, it looks for one to be on the server. It won't even let you build one. Since I'm not running off of a server looks like I'll do with my Contacts! Seems like I remember this from the good old days when I worked with an IT department, now I have to go it alone. :)

6. Pistol

Pistol Patriot Member

Yep, find the .pst file and you will get everything.
    BUTsince you are changing versions, I would explore the File>Export and File Import on the 2003 side. The Microsoft site will have some help links too if you have anything unusual. I think I did an export from 2000 to 2003 using the .csv method and that will do your contacts. There may not be a .wab file in use depending on how you had 2000 set up.
    Yes, think Contacts, not address book.
    All your folders and contacts are then in the .pst file after you have it all setup.

Do not confuse your Professional version with Outlook Express terms. ;)

7. Fireglock

Never used Express. I was a Mac guy then work converted me, easier to switch than fight. We used Office Pro so that's where I stayed. I had no problem moving my Calendar, Notes, Task, and Contacts to 2003. Sure was easier when I just called Tony or Sharon and asked what to do! :)