close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Moving for School

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DanaT, Jan 2, 2013.

1. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Has anyone ever moved to just so their kids can go to a better school?

I just ask this, because the last two days I have gotten it into my head to buy a new house because of the performance of the schools in the area I am in. In theory, I can send my kid to any school as long as I will provide transportation but in reality, there are enrollment caps and everyone within the boundaries are guaranteed a spot, everyone else gets leftover spots. The top schools, there are no extra spots.

So, I am tempted to move for schools. What I dint like, is spending twice as much on a house but sometimes there are things in life more important than money. OR maybe I am just crazy.

2. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

It happens all the time. My wife and I moved into Dallas proper from Plano, a northern suburb, to be closer to our kid's high schools. Our new house was almost exactly 2x as expensive per foot as the old one. In our case the schools were/are private so geographical district boundaries don't apply - we needed to be closer. That said people move into better districts and pay a premium to do so every day.

3. arclight610

arclight610

It is of my opinion that the performance of the school is less of a factor than the performance and desire to learn of the child.

4. deadmanglocking

deadmanglocking

Yes. We just moved into Highland Park so our child will attend school here instead of DISD. We looked at the 3x cost of our new house versus the old as an investment when she finishes school. If it means my child has better opportunities than I did it is well worth it.

5. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

To some extent.

When I am comparing schools, whioch would you want your kid in:
    ACT scores do not reflect that in an average university the kids coming out have a 75% chance of making a C or better in a freshman class and 48% of this school's graduates, who went to college, needed to re-take high school-level courses (remediation rate)

OR

ACT scores reflect that in an average university the kids coming out have a 75% chance of making a C or better in a freshman class and 19% of this school's graduates, who went to college, needed to re-take high school-level courses (remediation rate).

There seems to be something more than just individual ability.

6. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I am looking at the numbers. About 1.75x more per square foot and larger houses.

7. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

This is where my thinking is going.

8. INJoker

INJoker Simply Charming

In the purely statistical sense, the school your child attends will not impact his or her grades in any significant way.

If you put a failing student in the best school, he is still statistically likely to fail. If you put an Honors student in a ghetto school, he is still statistically likely to excel.

There is a ton of data on this... You should read the books Freakonomics and Outliers.

9. deadmanglocking

deadmanglocking

We felt comfortable looking at the history of the property values in the town to make the investment. It does not go down only up. Being one of the most sought after places in Dallas to own property we feel we will make a nice profit in 18 years.

10. HarlDane

HarlDane

I agree.

Kids with a solid home life and parents who raise them to be responsible and value education are going to succeed, regardless of the school they attend (within reason of course).

With the exception of a small percentage of elite private schools, the education provided by most schools is essentially the same. They all have good teachers and bad, good students and bad, etc. The parents are the true difference makers.

11. dango

dango

People do it all the time. I promised my wife and son that I would stick it out until he left the nest.He turned out a man that I'm proud of , very proud but , he was highly motivated by my wife,
    (Worldly Traveled-military brat) :supergrin: and my adventurous spirit. I've had my wife places man friends refused to go.:supergrin:

Not by force , by choice. It's in his blood , the curious adventure
    gene. Yes , we do live through our children . Not only am I his father but friend also.I am one LUCKY MAN to have the privilege
    to live through my boy !:wavey:

12. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

How bad is your neighborhood? What do you get out of it? Better house, better neighborhood, less travel time, etc.? There's a big difference between moving from a bad neighborhood and a decent neighborhood.

Would you be better off spending more time with your kid or hiring a tutor?

13. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

I know many many people who have done this, and about 50% seem to have made a legitimate improvement. The others are just doing Same Stuff, Different District. ;)

The big thing in my mind is to get REALLY clear about what you mean by 'better'... Better teachers? Better peer group? Smaller classes? More activities? Larger sports teams?

and then figure out a) if the school you're looking at actually provides those specific things, and to what extent (are the classes smaller at every grade? how much smaller at each grade? are ALL classrooms smaller, or are they just advertising the average? etc. etc.) they're available, and b) what do YOU have to do to actually receive those specific things - can you actually get the good teachers, get into the smaller class, get on the great sports teams, etc.

It's awfully easy to move, spend a ton of money, uproot everyone and disrupt your entire lives to get something that looks an awful lot like what you had before. It's equally easy to get a completely different experience than you had before, either positively or negatively.

My observation is that on-the-ground research is the only way to win this. Go to the school, not once, but a half-dozen times. Show up for their science night, music night, etc. Talk to parents enough to get past the 'oh, yeah, it's a GREAT school', and get to where they'd like it to be better. Ask where families who've had a tough time there (there are ALWAYS people who have a tough time at a particular school) end up, and see if you can find out why they left, and why they chose their new school.

Sounds like a lot of work? It's about 10% of what it'll cost to move and pay for a more-expensive house... twice, because you didn't get what you moved for the first time.

14. FLGatorFan

FLGatorFan

This. Parents, not schools, determine whether children succeed. That's why throwing more money into schools is ineffective.

15. HarlDane

HarlDane

Exellent post.

16. INJoker

INJoker Simply Charming

"Better:"

Predominantly white/Caucasian
    Low number of free-or-reduced-lunch recipients
    District with high median income
    New(er) construction buildings
    High district ratings/rankings at the state level

And don't you even get all offended on me here... Even the minorities try to send their kids to the rich white schools in a misguided attempt at "bringing their kids up."

The reality of the situation is that those non-conforming students simply drag the average down.

:cool:

17. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

We did. Moved to a smaller town to get away from some of the issues that distract kids from learning. Like drugs and violence and thugs. Worked for a few years. Downside was that we found a limited range of educational options. No Latin classes, French was discontinued after a few years and the only foreign language left was Spanish, had to fight to keep Physics II on the menu.

Our theory after raising two kids is this. You educate your children to the point that they can learn and enjoy learning, after that you help them learn. The school discourages them from learning but certifies them with a diploma in return for your tax dollars and playing their petty ass games.

18. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

You mean like living in a city like this (always ranked very high in best places in the country to live):

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2011/snapshots/PL0846355.html

And many of your criteria above are met

19. INJoker

INJoker Simply Charming

20. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

we made the decision to do private school, and it does make a difference. I'm not interested in trying to make anyone else believe otherwise, but my kids will stay out of the public school system as long as possible.