Moving and Shooting

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by ezterra, Mar 27, 2010.

1. ezterra

ezterra

Everything I have read and been taught is to shoot when one foot is in the air. The reasoning is because that is when there is the least amount of movement in your body; therefore, your sights will be bouncing around the least. However, during a "train the trainers" pistol course I took this week, they taught that you shoot just as your foot strikes the ground. This seems like the worst possible time to be trying to squeeze off the shots. I tried it the way they taught it, but I don't like it and I plan to revert back to what I've been doing.

What say you? Shoot with one foot in the air while walking, or shoot when both feet are on the ground?

2. jhayesvw

jhayesvw

i shoot uspsa and something called steel workers and i have never thought about how i time my shots.
    i will have to look into this more.

3. A6Gator

A6Gator

I press when I have a good sight picture. A little flex in the knees, heel-and-toe going forward (toe-heel going backwards), one in front of the other kinda like being on a rail (if the situation permits). I've never tried to tie it to foot impact or non-impact.

4. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

+1 :wavey:

5. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

6. PhoneCop

PhoneCop TeleDetective

Without a doubt shooting while striding (foot moving and off the ground) is better at first. When you get real good at rolling the foot the jar is minimized and disturbs the sights less. When you practice, bend knees, small steps, smooth roll of feet, and squeeze your thighs to together.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  7. Gryff

Gryff

I don't think about where my foot is when I shoot. I just try to stride like I'm carry a very full glass of water. Smooth continuous movement and focus on using the knees as a shock absorber.

8. ezterra

ezterra

Yes, that's what I always thought. I've been shooting USPSA and IDPA for almost 6 years now, and this is the first time I've heard of shooting while both feet are planted. I agree that when you get good and smooth, a good shooter can shoot whenever. But I have never heard of teaching to shoot this way. Oh well, I have kind of been out of the game for a little while. So I thought maybe I missed something while I was gone. Sounds like it's still the consensus to shoot while in stride.

Thanks.

9. ronin.45

ronin.45

Ditto.

When it comes down to it you should do it the way that works best for you. I always try to tell people that there is very rarely one right way to do anything.

10. PhoneCop

PhoneCop TeleDetective

This, too, is spot on.