close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Moving advice

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SIG-O-MATIC, Feb 21, 2010.

1. SIG-O-MATIC

SIG-O-MATIC

Hi all:

I will be moving across the country this summer (from MA to MT, yeah!). My family doesn't own a lot of furniture, but what we do own is very nice (heirloom and handmade furniture in cherry, walnut, etc.). I simply cannot allow this furniture to be man-handled by a bunch of Bubbas.

I have used U-Haul in the past for local or short-distance moves, but nothing over 200 miles. Google maps puts this trip at 2600 miles. I hear so many horror stories about crappy equipment - I don't want my engine to burn out in Bumfuk, OH because U-Haul hasn't changed the oil in 30K miles...

Am I stupid to even consider UHaul for this endevour? If so, can anyone recommend a good do-it-yourself moving company other than UHaul? Alternatively, has anyone used a moving company that specializes in antique/heirloom furniture? I know how to do a Google search - I was hoping to get feedback from folks who actually used these services.

Thanks for the help.

2. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL

3. ipfreely123

ipfreely123 something witty CLM

I would vote against pods. I have heard multiple horror stories about people's stuff getting beat to hell in those things.

4. Surt

Surt Jötunn-Kin

I'm assuming you don't have a truck, so renting a Uhaul trailer and towing it with your own (presumably reliable) vehicle is out.

5. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I moved an office from Georgia to Utah. Ryder gave us better rates, better insurance and a newer truck than U-Haul.

6. jpa

jpa CLM

I had very good luck with Penske coming from Chicago to Las Vegas

7. silentpoet

silentpoet

I used budget last move.

8. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Put your heaviest stuff in the smallest boxes.........:supergrin:

Best of luck to you.

9. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

No one will take care of your stuff as well as you will.

Rent from one of the non-UHaul places and take a couple of days packing your stuff. LOTS of blankets and furniture pads and insurance. I once moved from Georgia to Florida and packed my (UHaul) truck to the gills over three days (packing took longer than moving ;)), and everything went great.

10. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

U Haul is terrible and they rent old equipment. Go with a national renter with newer equipment and if you get there and it's not what you expect, tell them to get something better. U haul promised me a newer model 16' truck for my move from MA to SC. I got there and it was so old and falling apart. I walked away and got a Ryder truck.

11. hal8000

hal8000

I used Penske for a cross country move. Much better equipment than Uhaul. They have an online application to check rates. Start checking now. The rates vary over time. I think you will have pretty good rates moving from a high population area to low.

12. Cclass

Cclass CLM

I've made several moves. Penske trucks have been the best by far. Uhaul have been the worst.

13. righteoushoot

righteoushoot Deluxe Member

I had a great experience with pods. Remember, though, you have to tie things down yourself. Get a store/bhut load of those ratchet straps if you intend to do it, and take your time and plan out the load.

:wavey:

I have been all over Ohio, and have not heard of this town you mentioned. It's still nicer that Revere though! :rofl:

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

While I don't know about PODS, I will say absolutely, without second thought, do not go w/ Uhaul. I moved a couple times before buying, and all 3x, the truck broke down. It was all local moves, but it was still an absolute pain. I could only imagine if it was cross country.

Ask them about their liability, you have some antique furniture, etc.... If it were me, I'd be giving away/selling as much as absolutely possible. I'm sure you're probably doing this, but its just a thought.

IGF

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

PODS seems like the logical thing to me.. but I've always moved locally. As long as you strap everything down good, I don't think it would be an issue.

16. TnGlocker12

TnGlocker12

ABF truck lines move furniture. They will drop a pup(28 foot trailer) at your place. You load it to your liking and they come get it and move to it to the new location. They charge you for ever how much of the trailer you use. Not having to drive a u-haul for 2600 miles is worth a lot.

17. JBaird22

JBaird22

I was going to suggest ABF or Estes as they both do the "drop the trailer, you load, they haul." I know that ABF allows you to build a bulkhead within the trailer. This is vital because it keeps the stuff they put in behind your stuff from ruining your stuff.

18. holesinpaper

holesinpaper

I've heard good things about pods, and have helped load a few for friends.

If you get your own moving blankets (sometimes Costco carries them), and your own tie down straps, then you can do a real good job securing everything. If you just toss items in, then yes I could see stuff really getting beat up.

I agree that Uhaul is mostly junk. Everything I've rented from them has been very old and not in good shape.

19. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

Depends do you really like your stuff? I use Uhaul because I've never moved far. But I have seen a Uhaul on fire on the side of the road with the family chucking their stuff out the back before it goes up in flames. After talking with friends about it many of them have seen similar stories. So do you want to bonfire your stuff?

20. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

It is very simple. If you have valuable objects, hire a reputable national moving company and pay whatever it takes. Pay for the 100% market value insurance.