close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Moving across the country. Help me decide where!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by EM87, Jun 13, 2012.

1. EM87

EM87

UPDATE 6/26/12: My girlfriend and I (even as adventurous and spontaneous as we are) decided that we need to visit a place before we move there. The only place we had the time and money to visit was Asheville, NC (I'm there right now.) The verdict is that this town is WAY too hippie for us. I grew up in Ann Arbor, which people say similar things about, but this place is so far beyond Ann Arbor. I don't feel like going into details, but we will be staying in Michigan. Sorry to disappoint anyone who wanted to live vicariously through us.

---------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 6/19/12: **We've pretty much narrowed it down to two places: the Asheville/Hendersonville, NC area (I can easily avoid the liberal politics in the city of Asheville) and Colorado Springs, CO. Anyone with knowledge of those two areas, please post!**

----------------------------------------------------

I currently live in Michigan and just finished college. There is nothing holding me here. I am going to sell almost all of my possessions and move somewhere far away. Where, I don't know. I only care about a few things:

-Scenery (near mountains)
    -Twisty roads (for motorcycle riding)
    -Low to midrange cost of living.
    -Not in the middle of nowhere
    -Somewhere I can make $25k/yr. (My degree is in aviation, but the point of this move is to have an adventure, not start a career. Therefore, I don't care about getting a job as a pilot. All I want is a job to pay the bills, which will include rent/utilities, car/motorcycle insurance, and a cell phone bill.)

I've been thinking about western North Carolina (I have family there and the scenery is beautiful) as well as somewhere in the Boulder, Colorado area (except that is very expensive.)

Suggestions?

EDIT TO ADD: Forgot to mention, because it usually goes without saying on this forum, that I will not consider moving anywhere I cannot own and carry guns. I most likely will be spending 12 months away from Michigan and am not planning on becoming a resident of the state I move to, which means my Michigan CPL should be valid if it's a state with reciprocity. The plan is to move for 12 months to see how I like it, then decide what to do from there.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  2. SiberianErik

SiberianErik

I went to college in West NC, very nice place and has all you said you want. I lived in Boone which is a college town so lots of people your age and easy drunk chicks away from home for the first time.

KILLER bike roads..no better anywhere and good gun laws so..

the down side was the weather in fall winter. Not really cold enough to snow alot but will stay drizzly/sleet for months on end. I got bad depression from it coming from S fla.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

3. windplex

windplex

buy the book "places rated alminac"

rates the top 350 cities / areas in the USA.

every possible metric you can think of is in there.

4. Ironbar

Ironbar

The Willamette Valley in Oregon. We need more conservatives here- ALOT more!

5. EM87

EM87

I've heard that's nice. The forum member Smashy lives in Oregon (not sure which part), and the pictures he posts are amazing.

6. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

NC has a high unemployment rate. That would be the first thing I'd do- research google:

Employment
    Crime rates
    Cost of living
    Gun laws

on any place you get suggestions on.

I've lived all over the country. Some very pretty places but had drawbacks such as the ones I mentioned to google. Look into Virginia, thats where I settled (for now).

7. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Montana and Wyoming are full at the moment. HH

8. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Come on up to north Idaho, heck I will even sell you some property.

9. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

Oregon/SW Washington State

10. Bflying

Bflying

Utah, Wasatch Front! Economy still pretty good. Great canyons for bike rides. Excellent skiing, rock climbing, paragliding, hiking, mountains, and still pretty good gun state. Only a 4.5 hour drive to southern Utah for red rocks, warm winter activities, and year round golf.

For flying there's a Delta Hub, and many opportunities for private jet gigs. Have a friend that just landed a private job on a G550, with some 650's on order when available.

[​IMG]

11. windplex

windplex

manpower just released a national survey of jobs outlook - take a look at that.

12. windplex

windplex

NH had a program where they would pay you to teach and pay for your teaching degree/certification so long as you stayed and taught in an area needed for 3 years IIRC might be 2. they need math, science and likely special ed. will be located in the sticks.

13. Bensmiata

Bensmiata

It's not what you asked for BUT: Washington DC, or the DC area. Good jobs, GREAT money, high cost of living but you can live cheap too and lots of places for close road trips. If you need your guns live in NOVA or MD. VA has CCW so that's where you should be

14. Jay9928

Jay9928 I laugh at liberals.

Montana, Wyoming ?

15. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

IMHO, find a job, then see if the place is worth moving to.

I have been lucky enough to travel through most of the USA. There are many great places to move, BUT will you be able to find a decent job.

BTW, there are a few places I have always wanted to live. AK, NC, SC, TX, FL. They each have something appealing.

16. DaneA

DaneA

Sounds like you are describing TN to a T

17. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Find a job in Aviation 1st then decide. :cool:

18. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

This!

19. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

You can drive to W Carolina in what, 8 hours? That's not across country, that's a day adventure to go somewhere and have dinner.

I did pretty much the same thing a few years back. Just took off. Wandered around for a while, stopped got a job, take off again. Ended up in Texas for a few years.

Myself, I would suggest Oregon also. Go to the coast. Or southern Colorado, Utah, northern Arizona. You will never be more free to travel then you are now. Of course I did it for 20 years, that may not work for everybody.

Just go, you will figure it out. The less planning the better.

20. dwhite53

dwhite53

Central NC. Durham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill area.

3 major colleges (Duke, UNC, NC State).

4 hours from mountains. 3 hours from ocean.

Gun friendly.

All the Best,
    D. White