Glock Talk banner

Moving a gun safe

3411 Views 26 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  Pierre!
I recently inherited a gun safe. It's about 600 lbs. I got it into my garage without much trouble, but I need to get it into my basement. The kicker is that I need to go around the house to get there (recently installed new flooring and I really don't want to risk scratches, dents, etc. + the basement stairs have a turn that is probably too tight to manage with the safe).

My front yard slopes down a bit, but not too steep. The side yard and back yard to the basement door are on approximately the same grade. Terrain is not exactly smooth, but not too rough.

I was thinking of getting a handful of 4" PVC pieces cut to the width of the safe. Then, laying the safe down on its back and rolling it with 2-3 pieces under safe at all times. I can probably get 2 guys to help me, but one will be my father-in-law (too old to be humping a safe, but ok to be moving the PVC). Does this sound like it will work?

Thanks for your help!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Banned
7,591 Posts
What stumpjumper said.

You really can't expect to move the safe like the ancients supposedly did the stones to build the pyramids. Dad-in-law can shuffle the plywood. You and your friends can keep the safe from rolling too far or too fast.

Oh, and were it I, I would wrap the thing in a large cloth, so prying eyes wouldn't know just what it is you're moving. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me...

· Registered
318 Posts
I recently inherited a gun safe. It's about 600 lbs. I got it into my garage without much trouble, but I need to get it into my basement. The kicker is that I need to go around the house to get there (recently installed new flooring and I really don't want to risk scratches, dents, etc. + the basement stairs have a turn that is probably too tight to manage with the safe).

My front yard slopes down a bit, but not too steep. The side yard and back yard to the basement door are on approximately the same grade. Terrain is not exactly smooth, but not too rough.

I was thinking of getting a handful of 4" PVC pieces cut to the width of the safe. Then, laying the safe down on its back and rolling it with 2-3 pieces under safe at all times. I can probably get 2 guys to help me, but one will be my father-in-law (too old to be humping a safe, but ok to be moving the PVC). Does this sound like it will work?

Thanks for your help!
Get some 1" thick walled PVC -- probably 10-20 pieces the width of the safe. Put them under it (no need to lay it down) and push the safe up onto the PVC. Just push it where you want it to go replacing the PVC from the back to the front. PVC doesn't scratch the floor and it works just fine. It's also slippery enough that you can easily take corners.

I have two safes, each over 1000 pounds and have moved both of them this way by myself.

Brad

· Registered
16,885 Posts
Ditto on the plywood. We used to move all manner of tracked heavy equipment across pavement using sheets of plywood and just leapfrogging them.

Another word of advice. When going down steps or a steep incline, DO NOT have a person on the downhill side, better to rig straps and use them to hang onto it on the uphill side just in case it gets away. I've moved enough pianos and other heavy objects to know all it takes is one person losing their footing or grip, and it is a runaway load.

The moving company I worked for back in the 1980's got to replace a sheetrock wall when we put an upright freezer through it from just such a situation.

· Registered
117 Posts
When it comes to moving my safe, I guess I have an unfair advantage. At work we have an old FedEx 727 freighter. We removed the cargo system from the floor and part of that system were several mats with ball bearing that allowed the cargo containers to move into the door then fore or aft. I used these ball bearing mats to move mine, but then again I stayed on the same level-Bill

· Premium Member
CLM #38
11,042 Posts
Was in the same position as you. Had safe in garage, needed to get it up two flights of stairs into the house.

After trying various methods and injuring myself, the bride handed me a sheet of paper with contact info for four different safe movers she found on the web.

After interviewing all three on the phone selected one and he arrived in a couple of hours bearing a professional motorized handtruck. It had a motorized jack screw platform. He had the safe in place within a half hour without a hint of damage to either safe or house.

Well worth the money spent.

· Registered
517 Posts
That's about what mine weighs and two of use used just a dolly. We had to go up stairs to it was a beast but a good appliance dolly is a must you can't rent them cheap.

· Registered
9,061 Posts
I agree with Sean and Armchair. When I moved I called a safe company to handle a large one. It had to come out of my house that I had tiled since it went in (very fragile) and up a set of stairs to my new place. They knew exactly how to do it. Removed the door, then used some fancy dolly with full rollers up the back. Cost me fifty bucks plus a case of beer and a pizza for the guys ON a Saturday. My doc would have charged me ten times that to fix my back, not to mention the costs of friends coming to help.

· Registered
3,063 Posts
I tend to agree with calling a safe mover, My Brother and I moved his with an appliance dolly, but nearly killed both of us.
Can You spell Chiropractor?
I'm too old any more for that kind of stuff, and my Back seems to be older.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.