Movie: "Outpost"(2020)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cyberghostx13, Jul 3, 2020.

1. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Well I was looking around iTunes for something Patriotic and I sure found it. Just came out on iTunesHD and I bought it sight unseen after gathering wall the info I could and watching the movie trailor. The movie is based on a true story and they sure back that up in the credits. I was in Vietnam with the USMC and I think they did a heck of a job with this movie. Indicator of that, no women in the movie, no romances, just a bunch of grunts at "The Alamo". I rate the movie 9 out of 10. War is chaos, and filming something from history must have been chaos but I think they pulled it off. Just my two cents. Buy or rent on iTunes.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ftttu, 7th District, akela and 3 others like this.
  2. jdw174

jdw174

Don't have ITunes. Wonder if it's available anywhere else?

cyberghostx13 and shadowlands like this.

3. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

ATT U-verse on demand today I believe.

cyberghostx13 likes this.
  4. pike bishop

pike bishop finishes it...

i had reminder in calendar it was released today; will definitely check it out over weekend. there's no escaping his heredity; his dad's mannerisms kill me, lol.

Willard and cyberghostx13 like this.
  5. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    $6.99 on Prime

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Thanks for the heads-up ... I'll check it out.

These days I'm suspicious of any 'war movie' that wasn't directed by either Peter Berg ('The Kingdom'; 'Lone Survivor') or Clint Eastwood ('American Sniper').

There's just too much risk of disappointment from sitting through 90-minutes or so of a Left-Liberal's re-write of a historical event that's more fictional than factual, not to mention being filled with subliminal anti-American/anti-military Lib-speak, thus undermining the credibility of any claim that the movie was "based on real people and true events." :upeyes:

7. rogn

rogn real dogs

I read the book a while ago. If they do the same job with the movie that was done with the book you will be really, really ,, really pi$$ed off at our military command organization and its lack of functional oversight.
    Our son had a taste of this where his unit was sent on a mission by the "chair bourne" division 4(four) consecutive nights in hostile territory. Didnt go the fith night because even the slowest Afgani figured this was a good time to booby trap the route they took.
    He decided that the TBI was a cheap price to pay for warning that career status climbing officers are capable of killing a lot of our troops.

DonGlock26 and cyberghostx13 like this.
  8. as400guy1

as400guy1

I'll look for it at Blockbuster.

Chowser, cyberghostx13 and pittpa like this.
  9. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    I heard there is still a store in Bend, Oregon.

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Amazon - $6.99 to rent

11. Barry581

Barry581

The book was great. Really brought to light just how piss-poor the leadership was/is in Afghanistan. These guys were set up to fail. Two soldiers were awarded the MOH for their actions during the fight.

In addition to THE OUTPOST by Jake Tapper, there is another book I read, RED PLATOON by Clint Romesha who is one of the MOH awardee's from this battle. Both are excellent reads.

I'll watch the movie, but I seriously doubt they will be able to really show the incompetence and sheer waste that lead to this battle.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  12. cyberghostx13

Well you are correct about that. It's like I said however in my thinking(Plus the trailor) and the info I read, then Eastwood(Son) and Gibson(Son) are both in the movie. It's just over a two hour movie in HD with no women/romance in it. So I pulled the trigger on 15 bucks for purchase and "NO REGURTS"(Just a little humor).

I noticed another war movie that's new out there called "The Full Measure" but it has too much other stuff in it, maybe I'll rent that one down the road. WAR IS CHAOS and that's what "Outpost" is and I see the same kind of brotherhood we had in Vietnam. It doesn't matter to me that the movie is about the Army and not the USMC, combat is combat, warriors are warriors, and heroes are heroes. SALUTE TO THE FALLEN. image.jpeg

ZekerMan, Detectorist and NewYorker like this.
  13. cyberghostx13

War always has clusterf***s, and ridiculous rules of engagement, lucky for me I hooked up with Foxtrot Company 2nd Battalion 26th Marine Regiment in late April of 1968. They had left Khe Sahn after a 77 seige a couple months prior to my arrival, they were bada**, and they had their chit together. FNGs like myself who were smart, kept their mouth shut and listened to the squad leader and platoon seargent so just maybe we might make it out.

We new guys were wide-eyed and they were larger that life. My first patrol was at the base of "Rockpile" sloshing around in a large creek. Funny memory, the grunt with the M-60 wading ahead of me went deeper and deeper and briefly all I saw was his helmet and him holding his 60 over his head. Then I got my first taste of "Elephant Grass" as we continued to move on to a small outpost(Sioux I think) on a small hill. That night in the bunkers there I was introduced to the RATS of Vietnam. Semper-Fidelis.

flyover and Tuscany like this.
  14. cyberghostx13

It will always be impossible to capture the chaos of battles and war however some do a very good job of it like "Saving Private Ryan", "American Sniper", "Lone Survivor" and "13 Hours".

In my investigation of "Outpost" no way can you see the closing credits right when the movie ends, ya hafta see the movie. So in those credits they show the actors and the HEROES(KIA) side by side, and believe me that was impressive and an extremely rare time for me to even watch the credits, but I did and I convey that to y'all here at GT.

15. Detectorist

Detectorist

Call me naive or whatever, in my 12 years in the Army, I never met another officer who would sacrifice their men for their own career. Never once.

16. cyberghostx13

Well I only saw our(Foxtrot 2/26 3rd MarDiv and @Khe Sahn) captain once. Major first impression...geez he was larger than life a big man with a moustache(Hey it the boonies) and a cigar in his mouth, was I impressed...you betcha, bigtime. Never saw him again, as I just dealt with my fireteam leader, squad leader, and platoon seargent. F 2/26 was a very tight unit and they proved that(Just before I arrived) by surviving a 77 day seige at Khe Sahn.

I spoke some Vietnamese beacuse I had 3 months of learning it at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, California(I wasn't 18 yet so no Vietnam, hence lang school). It didn't change my MOS(0311) like the 12 month course would have(G2) it was just extra. However it had opened doors to going to other specials units, but I never gave it a thought I liked the unit I was with, period. Also never heard of any "Fragging" and never saw anyone commit any atrocities, so FU John "Gold-Digger" Kerry you POS!!!

BobbyS and ZekerMan like this.
  17. napp32

napp32

During my 30 years, I never met another officer who would knowingly make that decision. Sadly though, there were some who put their men in needless danger through sheer incompetence and/or negligence.

There's another side of the coin that is seldom discussed. Sometimes, an officer will be overly protective of his men...at the expense of mission accomplishment. It's not easy giving an order that you know may well result in the loss of human life.

There is a difference between a leader and a manager. It's a fine line.... A true leader walks the line well...a manager often missteps.

18. Detectorist

Detectorist

Thank you for going over there. Have you read Hill 488? One of the best books on Marine battles ever. The Staff Sargent had big ones, that is, until they got shot off. An impressive victory for the Marines

19. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

Looks good. Thanks!

20. cyberghostx13

Thanks for your respect. I joined the USMC at 17, had to have my parents co-sign consent to join. My brother had joined a couple years earlier and was a forward observer out in the bush with only one other Marine. Our family was very patriotic.

My draft notice was coming up soon and no way did I want to be drafted, for such an important event in my life I wanted to join and not be forced. Never got a draft card. When boot camp was over and I had graduated(Platoon 2004 Honor Platoon August 1967 MCRD) I was still 17 so Vietnam was a no go, least not till I turned 18. So eventually the USMC sent me to DLI to learn Vietnamese for 3 months M-F 8 hrs a day. Didn't change my MOS of 0311 but hey I could speak Vietnamese when I got there and that ain't a bad thing at all. Later.

ZekerMan likes this.