close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Movie or Mini-series cast with most Oscar Winners?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by major, Mar 22, 2010.

1. major

major Rejected member

I watched the original "Lonesome Dove" miniseries over the weekend and was of course blown away once again by the fine acting of its stars.

As I thought about the casting, it occurred to me that five of the cast members have been Oscar winners at some point in their careers:
    Robert Duvall, Tommy Lee Jones, Angelica Houston, Diane Lane, and Chris Cooper. Another, Frederick Forrest, was an Oscar nominee once, but did not win. That's a pretty impressive array of Academy Award winners.

Anyway, my question is this: What movie or mini-series has the most cast members who have won Oscars at some point in their careers?

2. hogarth

hogarth

I never looked into it specifically, but one movie that I always thought had a fantastic cast was "A Bridge Too Far"

Gene Hackman
    Robert Redford
    James Caan
    Laurence Olivier
    Sean Connery
    Michael Caine
    Edward Fox
    Anthony Hopkins
    etc. etc. etc.

Plenty of Oscar Winners right there!

3. major

major Rejected member

Good one! Thanks.

Yes, Gene Hackman, Michael Caine, Anthony Hopkins, Sean Connery, Laurence Olivier, and Maximillan Schell all won Oscars for acting at some point in their careers.

Two others who appeared in this movie also won Oscars, although for directing, not acting. They were Robert Redford and Richard Attenborough, who appeared in an uncredited role.

All totaled, that means that 8 actors who appeared in this movie were Oscar winners.

James Caan was nominated for an Oscar, although he did not win. In fact, virtually every other star in this movie that weren't Oscar winners were at least Oscar nominees. Definitely a star-studded cast!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  4. hogarth

hogarth

The Godfather (if you count the first two): Pacino, DeNiro, Brando, Duvall, Diane Keaton, Lee Strasburg, and of course, Coppola, with the aforementioned James Caan nominated for his role and Talia Shire for hers (part II, and also the first Rocky) and Danny Aiello, who had a small role (he choked Frankie Five Angels), was nominated for "Do The Right Thing".

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010