Movie Continuity Errors

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Eric, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head CLM

I was watching Jurrasic Park yesterday. I've seen it dozens of times, but will still watch it occasionally when it comes on, if nothing better is playing. This time, I spotted a pretty big continuity error I have never noticed before.

When the two electric Fords stall outside the T-Rex paddock and it is getting out, the lawyer abandons the kids and runs for the restrooms, leaving the driver's door open. The next couple of shots are from the second Ford and they show the driver's door on the first Ford closed. I thought I was wrong at first, but the show it tat way, from that perspective at least twice. Then, we are back in the first Ford and the little boy is pulling the door closed, as the T-Rex gets close.

Another one I spotted was at the end of the Jason Statham movie, Blitz. At the end of the movie, him and his partner are on the roof of a parking structure, where Statham shoots the kneeling badguy with a Sig pistol. Bang. Then the camera shifts slightly and Statham is holding a little nickel or stainless revolver starter pistol. Then the camera shifts again and he is once again holding the Sig. I can't believe the producers missed that one.

So, what movie screw ups have you spotted?

2. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head CLM

Another one I spotted recently was in the Stallone flick, Bullet To The Head. Near the end, he is in the bar talking to the Korean detective he had been with throughout the movie. As he talked, Stallone drained the shot glass of whiskey he had been holding and then held the clearly empty glass for a bit. Then, he sat the shot glass on the bar and it still had half a finger of whiskey in it.

Those kinds of errors are sloppy. How do they miss them when they are making/editing the movie?

3. Sniff

Sniff

moviemistakes.com

Thousands of them there.

Sniff

4. Blast

Blast 'nuff said

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5IR1vMJ41g"]Great Movie Mistakes 2 -MOULIN ROUGE, THE HANGOVER, PEARL HARBOR, TRANSFORMERS goofs - YouTube[/ame]

5. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Oh my God! Is that snow? We're all gonna die!

Ocean's Eleven (the Clooney/Pitt one) - how did they get all of those brochures into the vault?

6. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I only stomached the first 5 min or so but all of it is crew related.

They have a person on set to ensure continuity between shots, but it's a hard job and stuff IS going to fall through.

I was just watching something on . . . . I forget where. Some actor was talking about another actor that won't spit out his food between takes. The actor in question found it funny to keep screwing up, ensuring that the non-spitter would eat about 14 hamburgers in a scene. LOL

7. JBnTX

JBnTX

Continuity errors happen because movies are filmed in very short pieces that are then edited together.

A 30 second scene that we see may have taken several days, and several attempts, to film. Plus they film several variations of the same scene, then choose the one they like best.

Many times the errors are noticed, but it's cheaper to let them slide through, rather than assemble the cast and crew for a re-shoot.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  8. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Bourne Identity - Embassy scene.

When he climbs on the railing the top isn't attached to the wall. The next second the magically appearing bolt pulls out of the wall.

See 2:30 and 2:35

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmxK_pBaG4E"]The Bourne Identity (4/10) Movie CLIP - Evacuation Plan (2002) HD - YouTube[/ame]

Not really a continuity thing... but in that same scene at 1:11... that dude is going to have a hard time hitting anything past 5 feet. :rofl:

9. nursetim

nursetim

In sixteen candles, you can see Billie Bird trying to hide, pretending to get into the car on the day of the wedding. Pretty funny.

10. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

That's funny because it was bolted to the wall at 2:11.

The railing is the focus of this scene in the movie. It is why he drops the important red bag. So you'd think they'd get it right :rofl:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  11. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

Not a continuity error but I have a plot hole that would have changed breaking bad.

(SPOILERS)

Gus Fring owns the fast food chicken chain. His network of delivery trucks also secretly double as distribution for his meth.

When 2 of his trucks were robbed by the cartels at separate times and dead bodies were left in and around each truck, wouldn't some smart cop somewhere have said, "Gee I wonder why these chicken delivery trucks had heavily armed men in them and now they're dead. We should look into this company."

12. jpa

jpa CLM

American Sniper

In the scene where Taya is breast feeding and wearing the pink sweatsuit, while Chris is talking she zips the front up after she's done breast feeding. When the scene cuts back to her, her jacket is unzipped again and you can see her slip underneath.

13. engineer151515

engineer151515

I agree with Eric.

The original Jurassic Park is fraught with continuity errors.

Some really look ridiculous

14. slick64

slick64

Ocean's Eleven.....all the snacks that Brad Pitt eats...change constantly back and forth.

15. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

In Ask The Dust, there's a scene where Colin Farrel & Salma Hayek came back to his room at night and started arguing. The camera angle changed, and then through a window you could see that it was suddenly daylight outside. But Tom Cruise produced that movie, so it's no surprise it had such mistakes.

In one of the Mission Impossible movies, Tom is on a road bike getting ready to do that jousting thing where him and another guy, also on a ROAD bike, were heading towards each other in sand, about to have a fight. There is a brief close up from ground level where you can clearly see the knobby tire and enough of the bike to tell that now it's a dirt bike Tom is on and not the road bike anymore. Camera angle changes, and he's back on a road bike again.

Then there's all the times I saw a Harley in a movie that for some reason sounded like a 2 stroke dirt bike.

Then there's a made for TV movie I saw about 35 years ago (can't remember the name of it) where a guy in a low wing Piper lost his engine and had to do an emergency landing that damaged the airplane. When he got out of the wrecked plane on the ground, it was a high wing Cessna.

16. jhall

jhall

The biggest thing that always bothered me about Jurassic Park was the T-Rex scene as well. How is the T-Rex standing next to the fence at one point, eating goats and clawing at the fence, and a few minutes later there is a 100 ft drop off there?

17. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

There are continuity errors in virtually every movie I watch - the good ones have fewer and less obvious errors.

18. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

T Rex's float?

19. OregonG20

OregonG20

How about the T-Rex grabbing the Velociraptor at the end? How did it get in there? Were the doors to that hall/room 30 feet tall? How did the people not hear the giant monster coming into the room?

20. Delmonte67

Delmonte67 Glock 40 cal.

One of the first I remember as a teen was in the movie Commando- the Yellow Porsche being crunched up in a chase scene and then in perfect shape a few minutes later.