Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotten pretty handy with my Gen 4 model 19, which is relegated to home defense duties most of the time but also finds a place with the attached Streamlight TLR-1 HL for pre-dawn walks along the arroyo here in Arizona. At those times I leave the light attached and carry the gun in an OWB kydex belt holster that I thread onto my belt at about 3:30 and cover with a sweatshirt and jacket.

Problem is holstering the gun because the light extends so far beyond the slide and barrel that I have to fumble around getting things lined up before I insert the gun.

Sooo, this morning as I was walking in the dark I began pondering the idea of doing a swap: the G19 for a blue label Gen 5-17. I think the light would be closer to flush with the end of the slide and barrel for ease of holstering, I'd pick up an extra couple of rounds and marginally better terminal performance, and the longer sight radius might provide a bit of an edge in IDPA matches. Heck, I might even move up to the SSP division instead of shooting the G19 in the CCP division (which would save me a few mag changes in matches).

Those of you who have made the move to the Gen5-17, what are your impressions? Does the gun handle well? Is the trigger fairly close to the Gen 4? Does your pinky finger ride above the cutout at the bottom of the grip? Is it more accurate than earlier generations of the same model? Does the new finish wear any better than earlier generations? Anything else I should consider?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
As cheap as blue label is keep the 19. If you want the 17, get it. Mags from the 17 will work in the 19.

What holster are you using? I carry my 32 with tlr-1 with no issues holstering whether it is iwb or owb (i have bravo holsters set up for both ways). It’s from years of holstering my duty gun (Glock 31 with tlr-1). I always swing the light in first to guide my gun into the holster. It’s transitioned well to off duty carry.

Take your time to holster. Never be in a hurry to holster. You are allowed to look at your holster when holstering because if you can’t take your attention off a threat, you shouldn’t be holstering.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Chowser. My OWB holster is a no-name brand that I got for about $30 if memory serves. Perhaps you are right: I can slide the holster a little further forward in order to get a better look so I can watch. I try very hard not to sweep my left hand while I'm attempting to holster the gun and that my help.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Those of you who have made the move to the Gen5-17, what are your impressions? Does the gun handle well? Is the trigger fairly close to the Gen 4? Does your pinky finger ride above the cutout at the bottom of the grip? Is it more accurate than earlier generations of the same model? Does the new finish wear any better than earlier generations? Anything else I should consider?
I've got both a G19Gen4 and a G17Gen5 (among several other Glocks).

I like the ambi slide stop and the flat front strap of the Gen5 guns.

To me, The G17Gen5 handles well as my other Glocks do (rather a vague question with the phrase "handle well").

I do find the trigger "fairly close" to the Gen4 in feel. I really can't tell a difference.

I do like not having to deal with that "S" shaped coil trigger spring during a detail strip.

My pinky finger rides above the front cut-out on the G17Gen5 (and my G17Gen3).

I haven't tested or determined if I'm more accurate with the G17Gen5 vs. my G17Gen3 & G17Gen4.

The finish is fine and I carry my G17Gen5 or G19Gen5 often. The only Glock which had its slide finish really wear off was a G35Gen3 from 2010. It must have been a bad period for Glock slide finishes.

OTHER. Consider keeping your G19Gen4 as it's always a good idea to have a few Glocks from which to choose. Consider just changing your holster and practicing reholstering. It's normal for a Streamlight TLR-1 HL to be the first thing to line-up when reholstering whether it's a G19Gen4 or G17Gen5.

I haven't researched what holsters are available for a G19Gen4 w/TLR-1 HL, sorry.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Change your light to the TLR-3 or TLR-4. On a G17, the end of this light and the muzzle match exactly, the width of the light and the frame match exactly, and the 125 lumen light is fully adequate far beyond pistol-fire range. For several years I used a G31 with TLR-4 as my outdoors/camp weapon. The combo was perfect at night in the woods.

While OK on a shotgun or rifle, the TLR-1 and TLR-2 are absurdly oversize on a pistol. One will not be able to vaporize an opponent with a several-hundred lumen blast of blinding light any better than with a 125-lumen light, contrary to the wishful thinking of many. Indoors, excessive illumination from surface reflections will adversely affect the night vision of the shooter as well.

Reactions: snowbird.40

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good information, everyone. I had never looked at other tac lights because I consider the HL to be a non-lethal weapon; blinding to a potential adversary which should be incapacitating for at least 30 seconds (plenty of time to shift position if there is incoming gunfire).

I'll also try the holster shift I mentioned earlier in response to Chowser. I always place extra credence on input from working and/or retired LEOs. Thanks again to you all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts