close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mouse and computer locking up

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ElevenO, Jul 13, 2004.

1. ElevenO

ElevenO

Well, I think I've got a virus of some sort. I've updated all of my antivirus software (norton) and my adaware and spysweeper software and I've still got the same problem that I started getting about a month ago (this is a relatively new problem since my computer wasn't doing this a couple of months ago).

My computer is locking up. Actually, it's my mouse that's locking up. I can happen while I'm on the internet or at the desktop or while I'm running other software (like when I'm playing ghost recon). I've noticed that if I move the mouse cursor real fast (and, at times, if I even move it at all---even at a slow speed) the cursor will just freeze on the monitor and either momentarily stop moving or completely stop moving (which then requires me to reboot the whole computer). Also, when this happens it normally plays 2 different wav sound files and it plays the same files every single time. The 2 sound files it plays is the "windows XP Hardware remove. wav" and the "windows xp hardware insert.wav" sound files. I've tried everything that I know to do including calling the manufacturer (Gateway computers) however my computer warrenty has expired and gateways tech support will only help out current customers who still have their systems under warrenty.

Can any of use guys (or gals) help me out. Thanks in advance.

2. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Try updating your mouse drivers. Whatever type mouse you have google their homepage and they should have driver downloads available. Also check to make sure your connection is tight. Hope this helps

3. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Ok since it's a new phenomon you have to think real hard and ask yourself.

What was the last thing you added/removed or plugged in within the period that the mouse started doing the dead roach trick.

I bet if you narrow your events down you will find the culprit.

4. ElevenO

ElevenO

I'm checkin' in to give you guys an update on my situation.

Everything is now fine and working as it should. The problem was my mouse. I changed my mouse and started using another one from a second computer that I have and that is old and outdated and not seeing much use these days. I guess there was some kind of short or something in the wire that led from the mouse to the back of the computer. In any case, the problem is gone now and thanks for all of the advice that y'all gave me.