Mounting radios in a Ford F150

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Petra, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Petra

Petra

I just passed my tech exam a couple of days ago. While I'm saving up for my first radio (2m/70cm mobile unit), I'm trying to determine how to mount the ham radio and a CB in my 2000 model Ford F150. There is no underdash area to speak of. I've thought about mounting them on the transmission hump like we used to do at the police departments I worked for. Found this radio rack and was wondering what are your opinions on it? Is there a better way?

Here's a link to the rack I'm looking at:

http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=40324&eventPage=1

Thanks for your help.

Mark

2. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

How about one of the units wit a detatchable faceplate? You could mount the radio under the seat and attach the faceplate to the dash with Velcro®.

3. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

Get a removable face unit, like the Yaesu 7800 or the icom 208 would be good, I'd suggest a permenant mount antenna, but you can put a dual band mag mount immediately ahead of the 3rd brake light and pass the wire through it's gasket into the cab.

I like these guy's antennas:

www.hamstick.com

I have their 2 meter colinear on my truck and it does very well, and the NMO magnetic is excellent for a mag mount.

4. ReAX222

ReAX222

What is your seat config? On my 89 F150 I mounted a galaxy on a center console between bucket seats. It was a convient place for when I need to disguse my voice or change channels. Also depending on your cab, on single cabs with a low center seat or console, mounting to the back of the cab is fairly convient and out of the way.

In my superduty, I mounted my galaxy under the radio and reinforced the plastic panel.

5. Petra

Petra

I've thought about the remote mount option, but still haven't figured out where to put the face plate. The obvious place would be on the roof, but I have a console up there. I don't have much dash space and really don't want to mount it on top of the dash.

This is an extended cab with a 40/60 split front seat and fold up back seats. I thought about putting it in the fold down arm rest in the middle of the front seat, but it's too small and would place the radio in a awkward position to work controls while driving.

I'll come up with something. I have a neighbor that installs custom stereo systems for a living. He might be able to figure something out.

6. burfurd

burfurd

I have a 2001 F150 with the same seat configuration as you. If you find something that works, let me know, it might be an incentive to get me back on 2m.

burfurd

7. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

8. JBlitzen

JBlitzen Guest

Doesn't sound like you have a center console, and I'm sure you've seen this pic twenty times by now anyway, but just in case it gives you any ideas:

[​IMG]