Mounting a scope on an AR.

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Dogbite, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Dogbite

Dogbite

Hey guys, ill be mounting a 40mm nikon scope on an AR. I know about all the cool mounts by American Defense and Larue. But i wont be moving the scope. I was thinking about possibly just using some nice rings. If I did what height should I go with?

2. TCRRT

TCRRT

You know, stability issues and all that considered, what worked best for me was just mounting a solid carry handle (assuming you have a flattop with the long rail like mine) and then getting a rail piece that mounts on that. Yeah, I know that just screams "loss of zero", but damned if it wasn't just perfect for me position-wise, and I never had any issues keeping it on target. For rings, mine were just basic, not high and not low. I know I am forgetting some terminology here and I apologize; this was years back. The rings were from a reputable brand. To me, as long as they're made of good metal and have good, non-loosening hardware, they'll do.

If this doesn't seem good to you, you're damn sure going to need extra-high rings, I can guarantee you that! Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

3. Radius_Retention_Systems

Radius_Retention_Systems RADIUS RETENTION SYSTEMS

Ya that works, get some decent wider rings like a Badger Ordnance, or Seekins, or comparable rings, not Leupold or rings like that.

Height is at your discretion, whatever presents most comfortably when you have a good cheek weld given the shape of your face, ie; long, short, wide, thin.

Err on the side of being low if anything, but make sure you can acquire a good eye relief without having to fidget around.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with. ;-)

4. Ninja

Ninja

5. Scrappy

Scrappy

Just take into consideration if you have to clear the rear sight if you have one.

6. USMCgs3

USMCgs3

Get a cantilever mount.

7. dkf

dkf

8. Scrappy

Scrappy

9. Dogbite

Dogbite

Ok thanks guys. You have given me a lot to consider.

10. dkf

dkf

Forgot to mention the Aero mounts are available in colors other than black too. Mine is OD Green.

11. bman940

bman940 Nikon Pro Staff

You're going to need to be roughly 2 -2.5 inches mid bore to mid scope. Lot's of great mounts available at all price points. I'm using Nikon's P-Series 2 piece AR mount's in the pic. Built for a 1 inch tube and very flexible as to where you mount them on the rail. I think they run around $55.

[​IMG]

12. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

If you not moving it, check out the Nikon line. They also have the 20 degree cant for distance shooting.

13. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Whatever you decide, you need to make sure that the mounts are on the receiver rail and not on the handguard rail. You do not want to split the mounts between the two. Now, if you have a monolithic upper, that is different. You handguard rail and receiver rail are one in the same. As for a mount, I do prefer the one piece. You can get them that are not QD. In most cases, these types of mounts will give you the eye relief you need while keeping the mount completely on the receiver rail. Quite frankly, I like the American Defense and LaRue Tactical mounts. I am using a Burris P.E.P.R. mount on one of my builds and it works well and it is not expensive.

14. Gdirty5

Gdirty5

I have two ADM recon's and they are both great and hold my optic on tight. But they screw in from the sides, which made it a little more difficult to mount my scope level b/c I couldn't have my rifle upright.

15. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Larue VFZ comes to mind. Rock solid one piece. I was considering it, but now I want QD.

16. TCRRT

TCRRT

MILLETT! That was who made my rings. After I posted last night I drove myself crazy trying to remember. I hate when that happens. But yeah, they were Milletts and I believe they were average height (as in not short or tall); again, sorry, I can't clearly recall as I sold this AR long ago. But yeah, I stuck a solid carry handle on, stuck a Leupold metal rail piece on top of that, then finally the same Zeiss 3-9x that I use on all my other rifles intermittently (what can I say - I love it, and it was given to me back when I was pretty broke as a gift from my then-girlfriend). I didn't keep it set up that way much, but I do know that, believe it or not, that sucker held a rock-solid zero even after about 1100 rounds, not all in one trip of course. It is not the optimal setup for stability is what most will tell you, but damned if it wasn't stable for me.