close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

mountain trails and desert riding...

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by muscles, Jan 29, 2007.

1. muscles

muscles CLM

fdsaafsd

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  2. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

Get the RM.

For trail/desert riding, the 2-strokes are still very strong. In fact, this is the last place where they really excel over the 4Ts. FWIW, I am biased. I race a 2005 KX250 2-stroke (that I bought from a Kawi factory pro) in three separate series (AMRA, WORCS, and AMA National Harescrambles).

[​IMG]

FWIW, 2-strokes are cheap to maintain. If you get that 99 Suz, you can toss in a piston kit for less than $150. A rebuild on a thumper can easily be in the thousands ($$$$). Since we beat our equipment nearly as hard as the pros, amateur racers love the cheap to maintain 2-strokes (I've already replaced 2 pistons and the crank main bearings in my 2005). If you wanna ride a thumper, it's almost cheaper to sell 'em before they need maintenance.

My races are commonly 2-3 hour ordeals. The lighter 2-strokes with the lower CG really help my endurance.

BTW: Ask your KTM buddy How (if 4 strokes are soo good) is KTM managing to dominate the off-road racing world right now with their extensive line-up of 2-stroke enduro bikes?? 200cc, 250cc, 300cc...

2 strokes FLY BETTER

3. muscles

muscles CLM

fsadfasd

4. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

Ride and decide later. The 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke debate is the equivalent of 9mm vs. .45.

4 strokes are fine bikes. But don't be afreaid to go 2-stroke is a good deal is there.

A RM250 would make a good trail bike. I strongly recommend freshening up the engine with a new piston kit. The cheap way is to just put in new rings ($10) and new head & base gaskets ($15). It's a 20 minute job and makes the bike run like new again.

Front sprokets are less than $10, so you can experiment for cheap. Low gearing helps off-road. 13/51 (teeth front/rear) is considered low off-road gearing. Going up/down a tooth on the front sprocket makes a larger difference than changing a tooth on the rear.

4mm thick ultra heavy duty tubes are golden and won't flat on you. You can lower your air pressure to 9-11psi and not pinch... but you can turn like magic. The heavy tubes also help maintain momentum (kinda like a flywheel weight). It'll tone down the hit of the 2 stroke.

Be sure to pull the wheels and shock linkage and put some fresh grease on em.

If you get the RM and want more set-up ideas give me a shout.

I have a race in Monticello, UT in August. I may stay over a day or 2 to play in your great state.

5. muscles

muscles CLM

dafsfads

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Like Daisycutter said, ride and then decide. I've had the privilege of riding Daisycutter's offroader and it was too much for me. The two-stroker's narrow and peakish power band was very difficult to manage by a novice like me. I can definitely see its advantage as a racer since that it will be ran WFO throttle, but to learn on? Too much for me.

7. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

For the record my bike is very squirrley and not easy to ride, even for a 2-stroke motocross bike. Most lower division racers won't even ride it.