close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mountain lion eats dachshund

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by railfancwb, Mar 20, 2013.

1. jasonvp

jasonvp Kantre Member Lifetime Member

Yep, and further, celebrating that the mountain lion was put down is even worse. Let's see: it's a non-human, mammalian predator, the numbers of which are dropping every year. I've a great idea: let's kill a few more of them!

I say: whoever decided to trap and kill that lion needs to become the meal for the next one.

jas

2. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

I pointed it out because justification isn't a given simply because the animal takes a pet, or by proximity alone.

3. elsolo

elsolo

Wienerdogs don't have the self preservation instinct to back down from a fight when they are clearly out sized, they stay in the fight.

4. Clusterfrack

Clusterfrack

True. However, unless the lion is moving away I would have every reason to fear for my life, and for those around me. Last time I saw a mt lion, it was around 10 yards away. It vanished before I could draw.

5. Revvv

Revvv

Now that is funny.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

Jokes aside, I don't think anyone is celebrating the loss of a pet, or the lion. Maybe it's different in VA but lion populations have increased substantially here, enough to increase license numbers by 400 this year.

The lion hunting and taking a pet in a subdivision had to be put down because it is the nature of predators to return and hunt again at the site of successful predation. The scenario would repeat with other pets or people getting hurt. It was the only responsible course of action for the wildlife officers whose job is to protect both wildlife and the public.

But then, maybe you'd like to volunteer to test predation science? That lion would eventually tire of eating little wieners.

7. bassman-dan

bassman-dan NRA Lifer

That's some post #1 ya got there.
    So you joined GT in order to NOT be amused? An interesting thought process.

8. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Welcome aboard!!

9. BigDeeeeeeee

BigDeeeeeeee Reluctantly Deplorable!

Humans are at the top of the food chain around here. When I'm in the woods it's my territory.:tongueout:

I love dachshunds too, but you as the master need to be willing and able to protect your own property.

10. Rotn1

Rotn1

........... and would want to eat bigger wieners!!!!!

11. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

A lot of people move out into "the country" because they "love nature". And when "nature happens" they get bent out of shape because it isn't always like Bambi, Thumper and Rosebud frolicking in some flower strewn meadow out of a Walt Disney movie...:upeyes:

I feel bad for the dog, but that's the way a whole lot of animals end up every minute of every day.

12. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

+1, but I don't feel for the dog.

13. bmoore

bmoore

:rofl:Killing a 14 pound dog around homes is what mt lions do? Weird I live in mt lion territory and this is news to me. Ours takedown 75-100 pound dear, are stealthy and rarely seen. So its OK for people to lose pets because "thats nature". All the massively over populated coyotes should be able to hop my fence and take our dogs as well, I mean afterall I moved out to where they live I guess.

I have as much respect for wild animals as anyone being a hunter and fishing my entire life. I guess thats why I am smart enought to realize that when a 140 cat becomes unafraid to hunt around populace, that its an issue that needs to be handled. Is it "nature" when it grabs a toddler on a bicycle? When is it not "nature" anymore? When it effects you and not somebody else?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  14. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

As I figured.

I post something, you don't bother to understand what I posted, and you go off on a tangent no one was talking about, and try and throw out the "hippie" card.

No one was disucssing any of this, yet you posted indignantly as if we were.

Get a clue, and keep on topic. If you want to change the topic, do so clearly and plainly.

15. JLB768

JLB768 Old & Grumpy Lifetime Member

So a mountain lion, living in an area where mountain lions have lived since before people started building homes there, did what a mountain lion does, and got killed for it. That's kinda *******ed up.

16. Rotn1

Rotn1

I do feel bad about the loss of life, both of wiener dog (beloved pet) and wild animal.

But what are we going to do..... nature and mankind (and mankind's associated stuff) does not always play nice and get along.

A very small dog in the woods is called prey. A lapdog in the woods is an accident waiting to happen.

There is no "win" here. The only solace one can take is no human was killed or otherwise injured.

Leaving a "big cat" that has a taste for human possessions and may no longer be afraid of us, is a tragedy waiting happen.

My suggestions:
    Believe that in some way the wiener dog saved a life (just as a feinting goat saves more valuable livestock from predators).

Stay out of the woods when walking "prey animals" (bait).

Get a bigger dog, if you are going to venture into real "nature". Get one that can do more than just get stuck in the lions throat.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  17. Magnus2131

Magnus2131 Glock Gimp

Mountain Lions get a bad rap, mine is as gentle as a flower. All depends on how they are raised.

18. oldman11

oldman11

I agree with you, but your anti-gun governor isn't helping any.

19. countrygun

countrygun

We have about a 350 day-a-year season on them here and still, about once a year one wanders onto the grade school playground. Oh, and during the two-week "break", if you do shoot one, just call F&G and tell them "It snarled at me, I felt I was in danger" and all is cool. :cool:

20. Marine123

Marine123

I also heard a few liberals say " urinating on yourself wards off predators" lol

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire