close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mountain Biking and Carrying

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by I'mjustagirl, May 10, 2003.

1. I'mjustagirl

I'mjustagirl

I do a lot of mountain biking in the summer and this is my first summer carrying and mountain biking (G17). Do any of you happen to have any suggestions for methods of carrying while mountain biking?

I have a kydex owb holster (does an instructors belt go with biking shorts??):cool: I am anticipating problems with the belt & holster slipping or rotating around my waist. I also have a fanny pack that I have never used and don't imagine would be very practical since I would be bent over peddling like mad.

A fellow mtn biker used a shoulder holster last summer, but complained of shoulder fatigue.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

2. KY Moose

KY Moose

I usually carry concealed if riding in an urban enviroment, but I sometimes open carry when I ride in the rural areas and on the trails.

Yesterday I went on a 35 mile urban ride and packed my Glock 23. I had a pair of Columbia cargo shorts on with a tank top as the cover garment. I used a Blackhawk CQB belt, Blade Tech OWB holster and single mag pouch. The tank top did conceal the pistol well, but I did print just a little bit. Nobody seemed to notice me printing or acted like they cared. I even had some police officer pass me and they didn't even notice.

3. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

I keep mine in a camelback while riding.

4. I'mjustagirl

I'mjustagirl

Thanks mpol,
    Do you happen to know quickly can you draw from a camelback?

During the week I ride on rural trails bordering an urban area known to be occupied by moose, blackbear and occasionally wolves.
    On weekends I ride in remote areas also known to be frequented by the above mentioned wildlife. I do not mind open carrying in either of these instances.

5. paulthelefty

paulthelefty

I have been carrying a .38 snubbie in a regular fanny pack for about 5 years now. I also carry two reloads on speed strips, granola bars, keys, maps, etc. I carry the pack on my weak side, kinda cross draw, but behind my hip so I can lean forward. It bounces around a little on bumps and jumps, but it is worth it to have a gun.

I recently bought a "real" gun pack from D&S Enterprises http://www.gungear.com/fanny.html
    I really like it, but I haven't had much chance to use it since I sprained my ankle a few weeks ago. It is VERY gun friendly, and you can get it in colors that don't scream 'I have a gun!' The price is very reasonable for what you get, I think.

Good luck figuring out your carry mode. Biking is one of the toughest to do. Keep the rubber side down!

Paul

6. SGT109FA

SGT109FA Eat this Osama

Use your fanny pack and keep it to your back end while riding thats what I'll be doing.

7. I'mjustagirl

I'mjustagirl

Thanks SGT. How do you draw? Spin the belt around and pull on the release?
    Thanks again.

8. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Not fast at all, but it's better than leaving it at home. The problem with when I'm on a tough trail the chance of falling is pretty high.

I carry mainly for protection from 2 legged critters, rather than 4 legged ones. Around here the biggest natural threats are cactii, rattlesnakes and mountain lion. Mostly cactii though. For the most part all of the animals I've ever come across while biking hear the bike and either hide or run away.

I have some biker shorts that my fiance sewed in an elastic pocket on the thigh for when I'm riding around town. I can tuck my .38 snubby in there and it's secure and easy to get to. I just conceal it with some loose shorts over top. If you're doing mainly flat trails that could be an option.

9. tenticle

tenticle

I took an old Forbus holster, altered it to mount on my waterbottle bosses, I use some velcro to make sure it does not go anyware when I do a "graceful" dismount. this has worked for 2 odd years. BTW I carry G19 but the holster would work fine for a 17.

A friend of my out in Utah uses a case designed for a cell phone, again modified. the case is clear. this seems to work ok, I like mine better.

Take care, get creative!

10. commander

commander

11. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

I carry in a CamelBack as well if I am in an area that requires discretion. Otherwise, strong side OWB. If I had to draw it from my pack, it would br difficult and slow, but better than the alternative.

12. Alpine

Alpine

The main thing is to keep in on your person, not the bike, in case you get separated by fall, breakdown, theft, etc. I ride on the street, and carry IWB or in a fanny pack.

13. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

Tenticle raises a genuine concern; if you crash and burn, what happens to the gun? I had an epic shunt a couple years ago that catapulted my KEYS out of my pocket.
    Snug IWB works with flyweight revolvers (DeSantis makes an uncommonly secure one that resists sweat better than leather). My Centennial has a lanyard loop; might be worth a thought.
    OAG- carry something smaller! Our local trails here in PA are full of cranky old woodsies like me, and yuppies with bikeracks on their Volvos. I try not to get them excited.
    Best,
    Moon

14. G Man .40

G Man .40 13 .40 + 1=G23

Depending on your fanny pack. On mine I can position the holster inside to draw either right or left handed. I use this to bike all the time. Hope this helps.

15. I'mjustagirl

I'mjustagirl

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

Had my first mountain bike ride of the season on Saturday (1 crash-minor scrapes & bruises). Went 10 miles. I ended up using my kydex holster & double mag pouch on my instructors belt. Not too bad with spandex!
    Worked out pretty good. I was biking with "carry friendly" friends. My light weight bike shirt bunched up some times, but nobody cared. They already know I carry.

16. tonyg

tonyg

i really like bagmaster belt packs for biking or just about any other outdoor activity. the gun is completely protected, easily accessible, and doesn't really look like it's a gun pack. it's also got some room for a few other odds and ends. i usually wear mine on a plain old uncle mike's holster belt. check 'em out at:
    www.bagmaster.com happy trails...tonyg

17. I'mjustagirl

I'mjustagirl

Those look cool, but I don't think my 17 will fit in it.
    Nice compact case.

18. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

All-
    My wife says it's okay for me to ride on the street; she just won't come get me out of the emergency room any more.
    Bikes are invisible to many motorists. Had a buddy that always liked street riding. After dodging an assortment of accidental and deliberate idiots, and tolerating some harassment, he swore the perfect 'bike gun' was his Remington 870 Police, slung in full view. Makes some sense.
    Best,
    Moon

19. I'mjustagirl

I'mjustagirl

Whoa, stick to the mountains!

I cant stand riding next to or on the streets. I don't trust everyones driving.
    Um, yeah, I need a Rem 870 for my bike riding! Thanks for the added justification!
    Is your friend cute & single? ;K

20. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

IJAG-
    Sorry; he's dead, actually. Went face down in the slush while jogging. Don't mean to bring anyone down; if he could have picked the means of his own passing, it would have been something like that.
    That was some years ago. We are now blessed with so many 'rail trails' here in PA that street riding isn't necessary unless you are a true believer.
    Get the 870; they are ugly and clanky, but they work.
    Best,
    Moon