close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mountain Bikes?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Agent6-3/8, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8

It was initially my fiance's idea, but I have to admit its a good form of exercise . Not to mention I should probably back off on the running in favor of a more joint friendly form of cardio. Riding will be a combination of hard top and mountain trails. (nothing too extreme though)

Looking for suggestions and general info. Brands, features to consider, etc. I know you can spend a fortune, but realistically how much is a decent bike gonna cost?

2. Birddog9

Birddog9 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Before I got into needing some cash I had a Specialized rockhopper 29er. IMO the 29er's are the best way to go in any brand. If you want a bike that will last and perform well your looking around 800-1k. I don't care what anyone says the better gears,brakes,sprockets, and shocks do make a difference when your out the pedaling your ass off trying to make it up those hills.

3. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

I like the Giant brand, $500 should get you a nice new one. Watch Craigslist also for some good deals on used. Do not buy a new $200 one at Wal-Mart or it will bite you in the *****.

4. The Dying Gaul

The Dying Gaul

If your riding is going to be recreational, such as weekend rides or short rides after work, I'd say 1k will get you a really nice bike that will last a long time and give you many miles of mountain biking pleasure. Maybe even $700-$800.

Many options in Mtn Bikes now days: 26" vs 29", full suspension vs hardtail, gears vs single speed.

A single speed 29'er will get you into shape in no time at all. SS's reduce complexity, maintenance, weight, and are just damn fun. You would end up a stronger biker in the end.

As for brands, Marin comes to mind. They have several, what I would call entry level models, that should provide what you're looking for. Cannondale, Specialized, GT, etc...

www.mtbr.com is a good resource, tons of reviews, specs and prices.

5. grecco

grecco

6. garflys

garflys

Look into the Trek 6000 or 8000 I think are the model numbers, they are really good bikes will last you a long time, think price is starting at 700.00. Giant makes a good bike that runs about 900.00. The rockhopper is a great bike, dont know about single speed but birddog9 is right, it will put you in great shape if it does not kill you. Im way to old for that. Its a sport that you can get hooked on very quickly.

7. The Dying Gaul

The Dying Gaul

Too old? nonsense. Kent Peterson, whom if I'm not mistaken is in his 50's, did the Tour Divide on a single speed. That's 2745 miles with 200,000+ ft of elevation change. :supergrin:

8. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I have a cannondale which has been good to. Only front suspension.

I just bought a KTM with full suspension and have only used it for riding on paved trails and streets. I like it so far. Much smoother riding than without rear suspension.

Bought it saturday so the review is short.

Dana

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. sputnik767

sputnik767

I also have a Giant and I like it a lot. It's a comfort bike though, so it has a frame and wheels that are better suited for pavement. Although if I swapped the tires, it could function as a mountain bike, although not as much as a dedicated mountain bike.

Huge +1 on not buying a bike from a big box store. I don't care if it's wal mart, sams club, or costco, or if the brand looks legit (hint: Schwinn is not a legit brand), avoid it like the plague. I bought my bike lightly used from craigslist for half the cost of a new one.

10. Hurricanes

Hurricanes

I have a Trek 3500 Disc that I picked up the first week of January. I've been using it every weekend since, and it has not failed. While I'm not one you'll see jumping every hill, I have taken quite a few falls. I picked it up for $409 from a local bike shop.
    [​IMG]

-Joel

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  11. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

Can someone explain something to me about bicycles and bicycle 'brands'?

You see the names Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, etc all tossed out as quality brands. But when you start looking at the specifics of their components (derailleurs, shifters, wheels, forks) they're all made by someone else like Shimano, Sram, Bontrager, WTB, Rockshox, Suntour, etc. And each of those manufacturers have different tiers on the quality of their parts. The more expensive bikes have more expensive components. And you can generally find a bike with similar components from each bicycle brand.

I guess my questions are these: What difference does it make what brand bicycle you buy if the only thing which varies between them is the frame? Is the frame the only thing on which you should base your decision?

12. The Dying Gaul

The Dying Gaul

No, the frame is the last thing you should base your purchase on, in my opinion. Frames rarely fail, it is the components that will give you all kinds of headaches.

Frame geometry can be important, but other than that, I would be much more concerned about quality wheels, bottom bracket, derailleurs, and brakes. In my opinion, you could take the lightest carbon fiber or titanium frame, (like a Moots) and put junk components on it, and you have a junk bike. On the other hand, take a run of the mill steel frame, throw the best components on it, and you probably have a pretty good bike.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  13. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

I have a Trek 3700 Disc similar to the one a couple posts up, and it's a rock-solid bike for my (hefty) frame for ~$500. OK components, does the job well, I like the metallic navy paint.

14. Resqu2

Resqu2

I have always had god luck with Trek, as I have got older (43) I found a full suspension is easier on me, I have almost 3k invested in my Trek Fuel EX8 but that includes GPS and lots of add ons but it feels like riding on a cloud

15. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Word of wisdom... don't be frugal. Spend the extra $$$ for a solid light bike, you will be grateful when you are huffing up some steep single track after several miles of hard riding!

16. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

I guess that was kinda my question/point. What difference does the frame brand make if they're all putting on the same components? You may as well just pick the one in your price range that is your favorite color because they're all the same.

17. The Dying Gaul

The Dying Gaul

Probably none. Heck, they are probably all made in the same factory anyway. Its like most consumer products now days. For instance, clothes dryers. My wife wants brand x, I do some research and find that almost all brands are subsidiaries of one huge company. When the heating coil goes out on her new dryer, I find that the part that fits hers fits about 50 other dryers, regardless of make or model.

Just find a mid-tier (no Walmart crap) frame/component combo that you like, don't worry about brand. A Trek frame will most likely be just as good as a Cannondale, or Specialized.

Frame material can be important depending on suspension, i.e aluminum does not flex, thus a hardtail aluminum frame will ride pretty hard over washboard roads. A steel frame is generally more comfortable in a non-suspension configuration. IDK, some people like Fords, some like Chevys, thus the "go with this brand" comments.

18. sputnik767

sputnik767

For the record, I believe a lot of frames for various manufacturers are actually made by Giant.

As far as components, it's no different than computers for example. A macbook and a bargain-basement PC laptop are both computers, but the macbook will use much higher quality parts and the build will be much better. Therefore in theory, it should last much longer and perform much better.

19. garflys

garflys

really all depends on how you will use it. if just for the weekend on road and some trail, any of those will be good. if your going to get into more off road trail you want the lightest bike you can afford. I have a trek 4300 now and i can go anywere and ride. maybe not as fast or great handling but im not racing, so it works for me. get what you want even if its more then you want to spend. cheaper in the long run.

20. SSNimrod

SSNimrod

If you plan on riding, $2000-3000 is what a decent bike is going to cost. At that price point your going to get quality componets that you'll not going to be replacing every couple of weeks assuming your gonna ride the ride 4 plus hours a week.