Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I DL'd a program the other day and it says that I need to mount and burn the program. I think I know what burning is, but what is mounting and how do I do it. I do not have any special programs like nero on my system, just the MS burning tool that is with Vista. I did google this and did not really seem to get an answer that made sense to me. I appreciate the help for this stupid question.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I DL'd a program the other day and it says that I need to mount and burn the program. I think I know what burning is, but what is mounting and how do I do it. I do not have any special programs like nero on my system, just the MS burning tool that is with Vista. I did google this and did not really seem to get an answer that made sense to me. I appreciate the help for this stupid question.
Mounting refers to 'loading' the image file you downloaded onto a virtual cd rom drive. To mount an image you need a utility.

For your purposes give this one a try:

http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-overview.htm

I haven't used it, as I use the payware program of Alcohol 120%, however, the vender for alcohol 120% does offer a freeware version, alcohol 52%.

See it here:

http://www.free-downloads.net/programs/Alcohol_52__Free_Edition

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nothing new to add, but just wanted to 2nd the above recommendation of MagicISO and/or Alcohol 120%. Use both here with various types of cd images. Especially like the fact that both are fairly small programs that just get the job done. Haven't tried Alcohol 52% but I'd imagine it'd work to.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I will give this a try and see how it goes.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I dl'd the program mentioned above but now I need to know what I am mounting. I DL'd Civilization IV and the instructions say to mount the image, am I looking for a file with the extension img or is it the exe. I've attached a picture of what the folder looks like after unraring. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
911 Posts
Ok, I dl'd the program mentioned above but now I need to know what I am mounting. I DL'd Civilization IV and the instructions say to mount the image, am I looking for a file with the extension img or is it the exe. I've attached a picture of what the folder looks like after unraring. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
You have three more archives to unrar... I think you will find your .iso files in those archives. :supergrin:

·
Registered
911 Posts
I use PowerISO.

Literally you just click the "mount" button, then select the ISO and it's mounted.
However, unless one feels like hunting for a key... the freeware version of PowerIso is good for discs only up to like 500Mb. Civ 4 is definately bigger than the free limit on poweriso.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have three more archives to unrar... I think you will find your .iso files in those archives. :supergrin:
I tried to unrar them and the 2 cab files came up with an error of unknown format or damaged. I guess that I just got a bad copy or am I missing something else?

·
Sheriffs a near
7,135 Posts
I tried to unrar them and the 2 cab files came up with an error of unknown format or damaged. I guess that I just got a bad copy or am I missing something else?

What zip utility you using? If using the one with Windows.

Try downloading 7-zip and/or WinRAR and see if you get better results. I usually use 7-zip, but I have also come across a few ISO's that it can't decompress/unarchive.

·
Sheriffs a near
7,135 Posts

Those are cab files, he may not need to unzip them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You do not have to decompress the CAB files. The installation process will do it for you. You can double click on the setup.exe file and the installation will work fine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yea, the cab files are used for the program's install utility.... nothing you need to de-compress.

It looks like you already have all you need, as in you downloaded the contents of the CD... not just a single image file. If you had a single image file then you would need to either burn it to a CD or mount it so it appears as a cd to the operating system and then you would have access to the "contents" of the files inside the image, but in this case it doesn't look like you need to do that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts