close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Motorist Killed On Interstate By Flying Van WHEEL! (???)

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ULVER, Mar 5, 2010.

1. ULVER

ULVER Dixie Rebel

2. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

3. op2k

op2k

I actually witnessed something like that happen years ago when I was a delivery driver. A dually going north on I-95 had one of it's tires just pop off (rim and all). The tire kept rolling at 70 mph and jumped the median wall, then slammed into a van going the opposite direction. That tire completely flattened the driver compartment of the van :shocked: It was a very surreal thing to see.

4. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

Newton and Murphy got together and made some new laws.

5. Kahr_Glockman

Kahr_Glockman

I worked a traffic collision between an 18-wheeler tandem and a pair of vehicles. The wheels careened down the road and sideswiped a Honda civic and then slammed into a chevy suburban. There were no injuries but the axle failed most likely from lack of maintainance. Totaled the suburban and I can't remember what happened to the civic

6. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

It is possible the lugs weren't tightened all the way and tire wallowed out the lug holes.

I had that happen on one of our "pursuit training" cars at the academy. Front tire on an 84 Crown Vic.

Years ago, we had a tandem come of a tractor trailer, cross the interstate and a field, roll through a clump of trees, hit a house and kill a woman. Sometimes, it is just your time to go.

On another note, Georgia State needs to ask how many zeroes to put on the check.

7. trifecta

trifecta

We had a U joint come off a SB dump truck and cross the median, going through the windshield of NB passenger car. Hit the driver in the jaw/throat and he ended up dead. Wife in the passenger seat steared the car into the center barrier to stop the car.

8. Ducowti

Ducowti

I was right (of 3) lane(s) on a parkway last year on my mcycle when a center lane car upon which I was slowing passing threw it's right front. Thing shot ahead as the car dropped the disc and sparked a rooster tail. I decelerated and watched the thing bound along the FDR a few car lengths ahead of me. Nobody was hit however.

9. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Thank heavens it doesn't happen often, but it definitely happens.

10. 4949shooter

4949shooter

One time when I was on a stop, as I was walking back to my patrol car after dealing with the motorist and I looked down the highway at oncoming traffic and I saw something coming towards me. It was a wheel, I believe from a truck or trailer, and it came straight for my car and hit it square in the center of the rear bumper. It left a tire mark on the white bumper of my troop car.

Strange.

11. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

10 years ago on I494 in Mass a wheel of a boat trailer came off and destroyed the front of my then 6 weeks old Audi!
    Best part was, the owner of the trailer asked me "How do you know it's my wheel?"

12. gordo993

gordo993

One of my co-workers had his truck totaled out by a wheel/tire assembly that bounced over the median wall and struck his full sized Chevy dead center. Airbag deployment and all. He was traveling about 60 mph pulling a trailer. Luckily, he wasn't injured.

13. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Holy cow that is scary. I've seen it on video but thankfully never had to see it in person. I did see my share of car accidents happen in front of me though. Guess I am just that kind of lucky.

14. 4949shooter

4949shooter

I saw the pics from a fatal that happened this way.

They weren't pretty.

15. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  16. overload2020

overload2020 ON YOUR FEET!

A truck wheel went over the medium and right at me still attached to the rim and all... quick turn of the wheel saved my life. i seen this happen about a dozen of times.. some vehicle were not able to dodge the tire and caused some bad accidents

17. oldcop1971

oldcop1971

in the 90's where the rear tandems from a semi-trailer detached and crossed the median, hit an on-coming vehicle in the windshield and took the passenger's head off. Driver (husband) went into shock and froze, vehicle on cruise control went about 1/4 mile before drifting off the road and hitting an embankment. Another trucker witnessed it and told the other driver what happened on the CB radio, he pulled over and waited on us. Tragic.
    gene