Motorcyles Most Likely to Crash, Be Stolen

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by Bullwinkle J Moose, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/6/20/171905.shtml

A recent study of claims data on more than two million motorcycles insured over the past three years by The Progressive Group of Insurance Companies, the country's largest motorcycle insurer, uncovers the makes and models of bikes most and least likely to be stolen or crashed.

Motorcycle Thefts:

Most Likely to be Stolen

1. Suzuki GSX-R Series
    2. Yamaha YZF Series
    3. Honda CBR Series
    4. Suzuki Hayabusa
    5. Kawasaki Ninja Series

Least Likely to be Stolen

1. Suzuki Savage
    2. BMW R1200C
    3. Honda Rebel Series
    4. Honda Shadow Series
    5. Yamaha V-Star

Motorcycle Crashes:

Most Likely to be Crashed

1. Suzuki GSX-R Series
    2. Kawasaki Ninja Series
    3. Suzuki TLR
    4. Yamaha YZF Series
    5. Honda CBR Series

Least Likely to be Crashed

1. Yamaha Virago Series
    2. Honda Rebel Series
    3. Suzuki Savage
    4. Harley-Davidson FXR
    5. BMW R1200C

So what does this mean for bikers?

If you choose a motorcycle that's involved in more crashes or is stolen more often you'll most likely pay more for insurance.

2. Mad Ryan

Mad Ryan

Meaningless stats...

Look at the demographic of people who ride/want sportbikes and you see why they are crashed/stolen more often. I'd also like to see an industry wide study, as many companies tend to persecute one type of bike or another, thus skewing the data if one looks at only one company. Untill someone does an actuall scientific study that's based on empirical data, it's all BS.

3. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

Suzuki leads for most likely to be stolen... and crashed.;f ;a ;f

4. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

The posted information has nothing to do with science theory, cause & effect or fault & blame, only the reality of the insurance business. Insurance rates are undeniably higher for the bikes a company deems "at risk". The sad truth is that some of these bikes, in some areas, driven by some people may have higher insurance payments than bike payments. This is vital information that needs to be considered by anyone who is contemplating buyng a bike. That's the bottom line and as long as a driver is required to have insurance, it is certainly not BS.

5. RBR

RBR

So can it be extrapolated that Least likely stolen = ugliest & Least likely crashed = slowest

;f

6. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

Naw, Honda Rebels are elegant and wickedly fast.

7. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

Honestly, I'm surprised that there isn't any Harley's in the list of most likely to be stolen. Not all of them are owned by Hell's Angels, they are all over the place, and they are worth more! :)

Of course, the Harley model the picked in the least likely to be crashed is a model that they stopped making back in the 90's, so the people that ride it are most likely going to be older, more experienced riders anyways......

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It's easier to snatch up a 400-lbs bike than a 800-lbs behemoth. Not only that but I do think that most of the bikes stolen were probably for joyriding.

9. jpa

jpa CLM

I can't help but notice that the most likely to be crashed bikes are all sportbikes. OTOH in the least likely list, I see all cruisers...maybe 1 sportbike as I'm not familiar with the Savage. I don't think that speaks so much to the popularity of sportbikes in general, but their popularity with new and very inexperienced riders who overdrive their limits.

10. Gunzz

Gunzz

I also believe the statistics because mose new riders (16-25) who leave the lot with a crotch rocket made by the Big Four always snap the throttle too fast and have some bent levers, forks, scraped plastic and pipes to show.

The 30-50 year olds who like the cruisers also have a lower seat height, and they tend to be more cautious.

A lot of the Big Four sportbikes are stolen to be chopped. They command some values in parts. Almost as much as Harleys. I remember stolen bike warnings at Daytona, Sturgis, Americade, etc.

I like motorcycles, but I never forget they are real powerhouses which need caution to operate and secure.