close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

MotorCycle Test Ride?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FullClip, Apr 27, 2012.

1. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

I've just listed my bike for sale and am sure that any buyer would want to give it a try. Since I have no control over how they ride it, and don't want to be left holding a pile of scrap metal and plastic if they crash it, (or liable for any injuries) my idea is to allow test rides only if they leave the full price I'm asking in cash before they hop on.
    Figure this will weed out the tire-kickers and kids looking to try a different bike for free. If they don't have the cash, they aren't serious buyers anyway. Think it would be a good idea to come up with a test ride agreement form along the ideas of "you crash it, you bought it".
    Anybody think I'm being to anal about allowing test rides?? The bike is insured, but don't want to get into a claim situation.

2. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

Cash in your hand gets a test ride. Make sure they have an endorsement for MC's also. Good luck.

3. Caeleko

Caeleko

It sounds fair to me, I'm not sure how many will go for it, but it is one of the only ways to keep yourself safe.

4. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Many of the local shops around here don't allow test drives of their bikes. Friend of ours son went out a couple summers ago to by himself a crotch rocket, paid for it, hopped of and went about 400 feet on the bike. He slid another 150 and ended up with broken ankles/leg.

According to him something was wrong with the brakes - dealer said he should have looked the bike over before driving off.

I personally have no idea how shopping for a new cycle would work if you couldn't test drive it or one of them first to see if you like it.

5. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

:whistling:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0geG9i1N9M"]Allstate TV Ad: Motorcycle Mayhem - YouTube[/ame]

6. racer11

racer11

I understand your situation because I have been thinking about selling mine as well.

The you break it you buy it sounds like a good idea,,, I was thinking that they could just ride "b*t*h" and I take them for a ride. That would eliminate the tire kickers and punks wanting a free spin on a motorcycle.

After all,,,some guy comes out to look at ur bike and you have no idea of his/hers riding experience,,or if they have any at all.

Selling a motorcycle is difficult it this respect

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  7. The Dying Gaul

The Dying Gaul

I have bought numerous used motorcycles and never has the seller required me to "show them the money" prior to a test ride. It's your motorcycle, so your rules, but I would think you could recognize individuals you wouldn't trust or want riding your bike.

I always showed up with my helmet and leathers etc... and I suppose I don't look like a punk, so it has never been an issue with me.

8. itstime

itstime

There should be some kind of settlement beforehand. Cash is best and endorsement is a must.

I've never been refused a ride. I'm not a kid looking for fun either. I've not ridden most in fact. Give it a good look-over, talk and say thanks.

9. sr975j

sr975j

dont let them ride it until you have CASH in your hand. you never know with people these days. they could have absolutely no experience on a bike and could lay it down before they even leave the driveway.

ive never sold a motorcycle but when i sold my quad, the guy wanted to ride it but i wouldnt let him until i was holding cash in my hand.

Sam

10. okie

okie GT Mayor

This:thumbsup:

11. eaglefrq

eaglefrq NRA Member

Cash in hand and they sign an agreement that states if they wreck, drop, etc...cause any damage to the bike then they agree to purchase the bike at the advertised price.

I would also ensure they have a MC endorsement and at least the minimum protective equipment required by the state.

12. TX expat

TX expat

I've sold a number of motorcycles over the years and I've almost always required that they have cash on them, and I'm holding it. If I know them (and know their experience level) then it's a different story, but if they are Joe off the street, yeah, they can look at it all they want but if they want to ride, they have to have the cash for the bike. I've purchased a few used bikes too and I've always offered to let the seller hold my cash while I test rode it. Like someone else said, I'm not a young guy looking for a joy ride, so it's never been a real issue for me, but I always offer.

If you are talking about something that exceeds reasonable 'cash on the spot' type of pricing (ie. value high enough that they'll have to get a loan), then I would insist on a cash deposit that would cover you if it gets some damage from a drop (how much is a new tank and the hardware on one side going to set you back?). Just tell them up front that your insurance does not cover any drivers other than the named insured so you have to protect yourself since any damage couldn't be claimed.

Unfortunately, you can't really get a gauge for how well someone can ride unless they are riding and, depending on the value of the motorcycle, even a low speed drop can total the bike, so I would do what ever you have to in order to protect yourself. It may seem hard-assed but it only takes one drop from a "buyer" who has no intention on buying and you'll have regretted not taking the steps to protect yourself.

13. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

And place this sign above your motorcycle:

"The Bank doesn't sell motorcycles, and I don't cash checks."

The 'Break it (or scratch it) and It's Yours' policy is very good.

14. 9jeeps

9jeeps

I've had over 20 bikes, Scooters, etc. Never have test rode but one or two. Too long ago to remember now.

I tell buyers straight out. No rides. If they want to know how it performs Google an Owners forum.

I do a thorough walk around with them. Point out everything good or bad. Show records and all papers.

I'll start it, Snick the gears, or Variators, total demo the bike for sale.

If they want to see it perform on the highway. I tell them to get back into their vehicle and follow me.

IF they say no, I thank them for stopping by. Pull the key on the bike and walk away so they can discuss it with God or whomever they brought with them!

I don't deal in kid bikes or crotch rockets, Never leave them outdoors. Maintain them as new.

So far so good.:dunno:

15. CLena88

CLena88

When I listed mine, it was cash or cashiers checks in hand for the full asking price, and an M endoresement, with a copy of your license. You lay it down, it's yours, you run off with it, I'm keeping your cash and reporting it stolen. The four people who test rode it had no issue with it, wound up selling to the first guy.

16. DAN'LL

DAN'LL

Best advice above!

I sell the bike for cash: only. And I even tell them not to bring me tens and twenties. I've had to count out $10,000 in tens and twenties. Never again!

Also, you do not want anyone handing you cash before a test ride and then getting killed down the road. It could happen.

Then you could have an insurance and liability problem the likes of which you can't believe.

Cash! Benjamins, only!

Truck it out: or have your own license tag attached to the tail end.

You are not a licensed dealer with all kinds of insurance and the other bells and whistles.

Dan

17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I've bought 3 from dealers without test riding them - no problem. I don't like dealing with people who, usually because they don't have much knowledge, worry way too much about things they are about to buy.

The usual motorcycle test ride policy for private sellers is, the agreed price, in cash, in hand before the ride. Test riders riding off on the bike and never being seen again is not an uncommon way to steal motorcycles, according to some posts I have seen on a motorcycle forum I post on.

My brother once let a friend ride his brand new motorcycle...he didn't make it through the first curve.

18. RC-RAMIE

RC-RAMIE

This check with your Insurance company see if they will cover it, if not my rule is no test rides I don't think it is worth it with the problems you could open yourself to. A friend of mine let a guy test a dirtbike he was selling guy ended up in hospital bed friend came out alright in the long run but was a of problems to deal with.

19. CLena88

CLena88

I should point out my agent made sure that I was covered for test rides as long as I called them and confirmed each driver's license.

20. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I've seen several good ideas here.

The cash up front is the best, but also the one that probably doesn't get your bike sold. What if it was a piece of crap bike? The guy would be afraid he wouldn't get his money back.

But the other two options are decent... the :

• follow me in your car, and if you can find a nice dual lane highway so they can ride beside you and listen to make sure it's not having problems at idle or accelerating
    • he can ride behind you on it (even though I wouldn't be crazy riding some guy on back I didn't know)
    I sold a Harley 10 years ago, it was only a few years old. I was leery of this whole thing, but a dude shows up with cash, he was my age at the time (early to mid 40s) and had a nice truck with trailer... I let him take it around the block. He was gone about 5 minutes, he comes back and gave me the cash. Asked for a written receipt, loaded it up and was gone.

I was scared the whole time, but it worked out. I'm glad it's not something I have to do alot.