close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Motorcycle suggestions for a Newbie

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by AA11285, Apr 5, 2010.

1. AA11285

AA11285

I've always wanted a motorcycle, but for the first time, I'm financial capable of purchasing one. Problem is, don't know the first thing about them! :embarassed: I like crusiers (Harleys, etc) as opposed to the Japanese speed bikes (CBRs etc). I'm a big guy (6'5 " 280 lbs), so the size and power of the motorcycle is a factor. I don't want anything too fancy, overpowered or expensive, just a respectable entry level bike thatll get some looks and is big/powerful enough to haul my big self around. New or used, I dont mind; don't want to list a price but suffice it too say I'm not rich, so take it easy! :cool: Thanks

2. Jonesee

Jonesee

1) Take the required motorcycle course to get your license in Florida. Riding without your endorsement is a felony in Florida.

2) Since you said cruiser, I would recommend a used japanese built mid size cruiser for a first bike. Somewhere in the 600-750 cc range. Big enough for a man your size. Cheap enough the depreciation is already gone if you find you don't like riding, or you end up loving it and want to buy a more expensive bike.

3) Another reason for a used bike is you will more than likely drop it. Hopefully not seriously, but you will. It would be a shame to get a dream bike and scratch it in 90 days.

4) I've ridden in Miami. When you are learning to ride, get out of town in the most direct route possible. Then relax and learn to really ride. Miami trafic can kill you, literally. Too many crazies and too much going on for a rookie.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010

3. Just1More

Just1More

Honda VTX 1300C. Thank me later.

4. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

Hyabusa. :) I kid...

I would have to say a Suzuki SV-650.

5. CSnakes

CSnakes

Get you endorsement, take the safety rider's course.

Get some ride time on something smaller to learn slow speed turns and braking.

Look at several 900 to 1100 Japanese cruisers... you are a big guy these bikes will probably suit you well. Buy the one you like, there are plenty.

If you are into customizing, aftermarket pipes... verify the aftermarket for the bike you like BEFORE you buy. Some have huge support, others virtually none.

Enjoy!

6. CLena88

CLena88

I enjoyed the SV 650
    The ninja 250 is stupid fun to ride.
    Stay away from RR Bikes or anything with SS/RR/Super in it's name.

For cruisers, look at weight more than displacement, you don't want to start on some 800 pound behemoth, find something light.

7. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

I'm in the same boat, and have been for about a year now. I'm getting myself a motorcycle as a "yay for me, I got into grad school" present, and I've known it for a while...but I've gone out of my way NOT to make up my mind about what I want, until I've taken the MSF course.

As much as I like the look of some bikes, I won't buy it just for looks. I want to sit on it myself, see how I feel, see what I think of the posture, see if I feel cramped or stretched out (though at 6' that's less of an issue for me than for you)...as "perfect" as I might think something is, or as much as it might get suggested to me by well-meaning folks on the internet, the plain truth is I'm not gonna drop several thousand bucks on something until I see how I like it, myself.

I'd suggest you take the MSF course, ask a few instructors about reputable dealerships in your local area, and then go sit on a couple, take 'em for a spin if you can, etc, etc.

And I don't mean this in a "you're getting bad information" way, mind you. Just sharing my own thoughts on the matter, as a fellow first time motorcycle shopper. I've researched what I can, read reviews, cruised around some forums, etc, etc...and all I can think of is "I won't know 'till I sit on it myself."

8. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

Have you EVER ridden a bike before?
    If not, Please, Please, Please take a rider safety course.

9. Jonesee

Jonesee

Guys, in Florida he has to take the course. Even if you guys move to Florida, they will strip your motorcycle endorsement off your new Florida license. The ONLY way to get a motorcycle endorsement in Flroida is to take the course. No Exceptions. I got my motorcycle endorsement over 30 years ago and I still had to take the course.

"Riding Dirty", as it is called, really is a felony. You get to wear the special bracelets and get a free car ride and everything!!!

10. CLena88

CLena88

Jonesee, If I took it already in another state, the MSF course that is, is it still valid, or would I have to retake it?

11. TexanRon

TexanRon Come 'n Take It

First and foremost, what you need to know is: EVERYBODY in a car is out to kill you! That is the first thing you need to know. secondly. take the motorcycle safety course. This is a must. Harley offers a nice one, but it is (of course) kind of pricey. They provide the bike, classroom training, and then out to the big parking lot somewhere for riding. They have a beginners class and several advanced ones. Prices on used Harleys are way down and they can be had for a deal if you look around, but still probably double what you will pay for some of the used metrics, which are great bikes and will make a good starter bike. A guy your size will eventually end up on an HD Ultra Classic, so you might as well start looking now for the color you want. Have fun, be careful.

12. AA11285

AA11285

Been looking at a few models, hard to tell which bikes are big enough for me, they all look the same online lol. Might have to take the advice of one of the above posts and sit down on a few, see how I like them. Is a Honda Shadow big enough for someone with my frame? I see a few of them for sale on craigslist.com for a decent price.

13. TECH51

TECH51

SV650/Hawk650/Blast or a monster 800

14. Z71bill

Z71bill

I had a Yamaha Virago 750 - when I first started riding it seemed REALLY FAST :wow:- after a few months it seemed REALLY SLOW:yawn:.

I was only about a 175 pounds back then - so if I was 280 I would want a BIGGER BIKE.

Guess I am saying - just because it feels fast when you first ride it does not mean it is fast.

15. chris in va

chris in va

Ah, not a good idea. It's a great bike but quite small.

Jonesee has some good advice. I also recommend buying used for your first bike, but please take the MSF course first.

Cruisers can be a handful to handle, especially at slower speeds. I find my old 83 Goldwing to be easier to handle around town than my 94 Honda Magna I had. It's all in the steering geometry and how much weight is higher up on the bike.

Don't think that a 750 twin can't haul you around. It'll still outrun most cars on the road, despite your size. Anything over 40hp for a starter bike is just asking for trouble.

The Honda Shadow 600 would be a perfect bike for you, provided it fits your frame. Plenty PLENTY on the used market.

16. Sharkey

Sharkey

Well seeing that the OP says he wants a cruiser, I gotta agree with you.

Yammy Vstar 1100 are nice enough too.

Go easy on the throttle and you'll be fine. Take the MSF class and wear a helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots. Jeans are the minimum but cycle pants are way better.

Of course you won't look cool to your cruiser riding buddies but you'll fare much better if and when the get off occurs.

Have fun, I love riding my ZZR and Burgman scooter.

17. Glock Enthusiast

Glock Enthusiast Banned

I agree. I was about to type the same thing about the SV-650. Putting aside the OP's height, 280 lbs would require a rider to have a certain set of skills and experience to survive on anything but straight roads with that bike. Unless, of course, he put $1,200 in modifications into the SV-650. I would say 9 times out of 10 I recommend people get a SV-650, unfortunately your height and weight would make it a poor decision for your first bike.

18. Jonesee

Jonesee

CLENA, I THINK this is the way it works:

If your state requires the class before issuing an endorsement, Florida will reciprocate. I will try and check real quick, Stand by.

I checked and truth is stranger than fiction. If I read it right. Florida will now allow a transfer of motorcycle endorsement with all states except Alabama.

What?????

I swear that is how it reads. OK. now you can insert all your Alabama jokes here:_______________________

It was somewhat confusing. At the very least if you have a completion certificate that is less than a year old and can produce it, you are good to go.

19. A6Gator

A6Gator

Or a Sportster. Check out an 883 or 1200 and see which one fits better. I don't know if HD still has it, but the deal was that if you bought a bike, they'd take it at full price for another a year later. So, a year from now if you decide you want a Road King or Ultra, you've got a year experience and a down payment. I you decide then you want a Hayabusa or 1198, you can sell your Sporty, or keep it for around town, and give your wrists and back a workout...:supergrin:

20. happy seal

happy seal