GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am shopping for a motorcycle insurance. I am with State Farm insurance and I don't know if S/F carry the best motorcycle insurance.

I plan to buy a new VROD so I have to expect the insurance to be a bit higher than average. On the odd side of S/F, they don't give a discount if you passed MSF class.

Chime in!

·
Banned
65,071 Posts
State Farm uses displacement as insurance measurement. Also, they won't insure motorcycles on their own, have to have a car/truck insurance with them first.

There's always Progressive.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
State Farm has a reputation for reasonable motorcycle insurance rates. You may not be able to do better. I'm with Farm Bureau and like it, too.

Sent from my LGL86C using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
24,958 Posts
I should have specified. $20/mo is comprehensive.
I only needed liability -

I called my auto insurance agent - Allstate - they wanted $500 (liability only) - I checked a few other places and it was all in this range.

My agent told me straight out - we don't like providing coverage for MC.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Hello all,

I am shopping for a motorcycle insurance. I am with State Farm insurance and I don't know if S/F carry the best motorcycle insurance.

I plan to buy a new VROD so I have to expect the insurance to be a bit higher than average. On the odd side of S/F, they don't give a discount if you passed MSF class.

Chime in!
Check with all the big names. When i got my 04 955i, I had progressive through USAA(my car) for bike insurance. They wanted 90-100 a month for full coverage. I was able to get it insured by statefarm for 35 a month. I had to move my car over, but the rate for the car was only like 10 bucks a month more. Saved me a ton. Geico was close to state farm, but still more expensive. Im 27 with an excellent driving record. Had a ton of tickets when i was younger, but everything had dropped off when i got the bike a year ago.

·
Banned
65,071 Posts
I only needed liability -

I called my auto insurance agent - Allstate - they wanted $500 (liability only) - I checked a few other places and it was all in this range.

My agent told me straight out - we don't like providing coverage for MC.
I don't know how old you are so I don't know how that would factor in the cost. However you've said that you're a beginner AND you're planning on buying a fast bike (VROD is pretty fast). Those two factors alone would jack up your liability cost. Personally $500/year for liability given those two conditions aren't all that bad.

·
Part Time
4,757 Posts
State Farm uses displacement as insurance measurement. Also, they won't insure motorcycles on their own, have to have a car/truck insurance with them first.

There's always Progressive.
I have State Farm for my motorcycle and no cars insured with them.

·
Registered
14,548 Posts
Costco member? Use Ameriprise for car and home and they farm out the cycle to Progressive but with a discount.

·
Unknown to Me
725 Posts
Every state has different laws and guidelines so you won't be able to compare on here very easily. Call around and see what you can find. Not all companies offer medical coverage in all states. See if you can find one that does provide some medical coverage for you.

·
Registered
15,730 Posts
I have Geico and it's pretty reasonable. I think around $20/mo.
Ditto... I have comp/collision and towing with $200 deductibles.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I have GEICO and found they were by far the cheapest for me. I carry full coverage on my bike but have never had to use the insurance so I can't speak for anything beyond the cost.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Mr. Awesome
10,430 Posts
After extensive shopping around, Foremost was the best bang for buck, when I had a motorcycle. I traded it off last year, though.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts