close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Motorcycle cup holders

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by wrenrj1, Apr 19, 2006.

1. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Who has one on their bike?

I'm hooked. I need Starbucks drive thru on a daily basis as part of my morning routine. The TITAN has 6, but I need to add one to the
    KZ 550 for the spring/summer trips to work. It doesn't need to go but about a mile or so (Starbucks to work).

Any suggestions or referrals to a good website are appreciated.

2. GixxerSixxer

GixxerSixxer Phil Deez Nutz

3. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

RAM mounts have just about anything you would need. If you are looking for anything more specific I'd suggest checking out the GL1800 riders web site.
    http://www.gl1800riders.com/

4. BikerRN

BikerRN

I thought this was going to be a question about Athletic Supporters and motorcycling.

Oh well. :upeyes:

5. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Man and I though cell phones and cars didn't mix. :supergrin:

I just use one of those beer hats as a helmet. Two birds with one stone. ;)

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The Goldwing and the top-of-the-line BMW luxury tourers have cup holders.

Personally I don't see what's wrong with drinking coffee while you're riding if you do it safely. Having a cup of joe/water/soda on hand while weaving between traffic is probably not a good idea. Sipping on something while cruising steady is no big deal.

7. g_man500a

g_man500a

I just ordered a RAM mount to mount my GPS on my bike. When looking at the site though, I did see something though that's kind of funny. Here's what it says at the top of their home page...

"RAM Mount Products
    RAM GPS MOUNTS

RAM Mounting Systems are the perfect choice for securing GPS, Spotlights, Hand Guns, Drinking Containers and various other items because of their unique ability to absorb damaging shock and vibration. RAM GPS Mounts have been successfully tested and endorsed by: Lowrance, Garmin, Trimble, Allied Signal, Rockwell, TRW, Northstar Technologies, Skyforce Avionics, VDO and others."

See where it mentions handguns? I really can't picture somebody having a handgun on one of those mounts. Maybe I'm picturing it wrong, and their handgun mount is more of a holster that attaches somewhere not visible or something. Whenever I think about it, I picture one of those arms just holding a handgun out above the instrument cluster. I'm sure that's not how it is, but it just kind of struck me as funny.

I just looked around their site to check it out and I see that they're actually referring to a scanner gun or something like that. I think they need to say "scanner guns" in that paragraph instead of "hand guns".

8. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

My point is not to drink while on the road to work. In California you are truly blessed Fnfalman with a Starbucks almost EVERYWHERE! and I'm truly in admiration of this. Here in Lincoln, NE (pop. around 200K) we have two. One is close, going thru my neighborhood to get to on the way to work.

I just wanna get the Venti cup to work!

9. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Ahh makes more sense now.

About the one on every corner thing. They just keep building them here in Indianapolis. So I say, just wait ;)

I used to work at a Starbucks as a second job for a while. Their stuff is good, but I never bought anything there before I worked there and haven't been back since I quit because I don't think it was THAT good. When I was on the clock anything I could make (which was everything not bottled) was free. I actually got tired of their coffee drinks (I was an iced caramel machiatto fan for a while) and just started drinking the apple juice (hint: their "cider" is just steamed apple juice). Then they told me I would have to pay for it, so I drank water.

their iced tea is pretty dang good though.

10. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

11. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Didn't you get a pound of coffee a week? That would be gold to my wife...

12. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

So here's what I ended up ordering, the Kruzer Kaddy.

http://www.ngatraders.com/kruzer_kaddy.html

Problem, blow back when it's mounted to the front handle bars on the KZ550, I did detailed testing with water and a starbucks 20 oz. cup to make sure, and the holder pivots, and doesn't necessarily return to an upright position. I decided to mount the holder to the bar that goes around behind the seat, up and around to the other side, just forward of the rear turn signal. Problem is, is that the tubing is smaller than the 7/8 inch clamp.

What would anyone recommend to wrap around the tubing to increase the diameter and not allow slippage of the clamp?

I am determined to get this cup of coffee to work.

13. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Just get some rubber gaskets of some kind. Or maybe skateboard tape?

14. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

Dig through the trash at your local bicycle repair shop and bring home a used-up inner tube. Cut off a section large enough for your needs, wrap it around the metal tube, clamp it.

15. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Good ideas. Thanks.