Motorcycle Buying Advice

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by UniversalBrow06, Mar 9, 2010.

1. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

There have been some posts recently about some fun motorcycle ideas, and it's made me want to take the plunge and get one. I used to ride my Dad's quite a bit when I was younger, but I never got around to getting one myself.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Specifically I'd like something fun, light, and definitely fast... no touring bikes or Harley chrome soaked wheels (I'm not exactly the type I suppose), just a fun crotch rocket (sport bike?) that won't break the bank.

It would be primarily for fun riding in scenic routes and basic short distance transportation when climate permits. Not too interested in taking long road trips, although I don't want to rule out an occasional long distance ride. It can't be super expensive, but I'd like it to be reliable and quick (man, you can tell I don't really know much about bikes in general... ya gotta start somewhere).

I just don't really know where to even start (besides getting the proper legal qualifications). Yamaha? Honda? Suzuki? Kawasaki?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  2. PBCounty

PBCounty

Dual sport that monkey.

3. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

he said he wanted fast and handles well

4. ChadSin

ChadSin

In that case my 09 KTM 990 Adventure fits the bill perfectly! Well, except for the keep it cheap part:whistling:
    [​IMG]

5. blueiron

blueiron

Go used. Lots of people are in over their heads right now and some own motorcycles.

Visit online cycle boards, check with your bank or credit union, check a community bulletin board at a Starbucks near a university or a military base, etc.

You can get a decent deal if you have cash in hand and are willing to dig around for a deal.

6. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

Buy in November when prices are down.

7. skalve85

skalve85 Oscar Mike

I rode a couple bikes and the generalizations I get are as followed.

I've had a Triumph 675 and currently a Ducati 749 but rode all others...

Honda's are sweet, they make you a better rider over all. There bikes are more geared to the rider and probably the most comfortable bike i've been on. Easy to work on, oh and the new 1000rr is sweet, as light if not lighter than some 600. They have the inline engine which has no balls until about 8000rpm when all four injectors hit.

Suzuki I hate, they "were" over powered machines with no soul or feel input to the rider. Their early models became popular for their looks and power, but have fallen behind with the newer bikes. Not very comfortable, never felt right on the bike.

Kawi has come along way, from bottom of the list to one of the top 600's in 2009. Bike is geared toward the rider for sure, if you get anything older than 2008 and it's not a 636 then the engine is lagging in power. I think these bikes are also comfortable like the honda. Probably the best 600 engine in 2009 perfect balance of low end torque which is great around town or coming out of a corner on a track.

Yamaha is kind of in the middle, ok power with ok response to the rider, very uncomfortable on the street, geared toward the track. Look great, come standarded with slipper clutch if I remember correctly?

Ducati are expensive and take more maintance, and uncomfortable around town but amazing on the track. Heavy and harder to turn in on corners but the L-twin has plenty of low end torque you don't notice the weight. I would not suggest anyone get a ducati for a first bike.

But don't take my word or anyone else, just go sit on the bikes and you will know when you find the right one for you. Honestly if you want to have fun and be nimble I would look at more of the street fighter bike or urban bike. Like the Ducati monsters style bikes. Sports bikes are fun but riding more than an hour (not on a track) is painful. Hope this helps alittle, just my experience so far really can't go wrong with all the amazing bikes out today. Good luck man!

Couple pics of my baby...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. SVTNate

SVTNate Packers fan

This is too easy. Suzuki SV650. Light, power is decent but the bike is still n00b-friendly, cheap for a used one, reliable, great V Twin sound, more comfortable than a race bike with turn signals, and cheaper insurance too.

I guess you can consider some 600cc race replicas if you think you want that riding position, but trust me, just sitting on one for 30 seconds at a dealer won't tell you how uncomfortable a modern race replica will be on the street. Plus you've got really high insurance rates, 600cc power delivery sucks for real-world street use, and liter bike power is absolutely going to be beyond your ability.

9. skalve85

skalve85 Oscar Mike

:agree:Yes the Suzuki SV650 is the exception to the rule when it comes to suzuki I think, awesome bike good suggestion!

10. cruz lee

cruz lee

kawasaki verseys...

11. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

Dont buy one. Everybody I have ever met that bought a fast bike ended up
    wrecked. A bigger slower bike, maybe if driven where it's not congested, would
    be alright.
    I see these kids whizzing by at 90mph, I know they ain't got long in this world.
    It may take 20 years but somebody is getting hurt. That is experience.

12. DNA

DNA

ex500 ninja :) carbs (no EFI issues)

Dan

13. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

SV650, Bandit 600,
    Yamaha FZ6

I STRONGLY encourage you to spend a summer on a GS500, EX500 before getting your first 'keeper' bike. The 'starter bikes' I listed above would have been considered cutting edge superbikes just ten years ago. They can kill you.

And before you get the bike, get the gear. Use the money you have left over to get the bike...not the other way around.

Also...www.sportbikes.net
    Glocktalk of sport bikes.

14. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

Thanks everyone for the good advice so far. I've leaned towards a Honda just for the fact that they're a Honda (I currently own a CRV and an Accord V6), plus I know a few people who have their bikes and they've been surprised just how much they enjoy them.

A lot of people are recommending Suzuki though, so I guess I got a LOT of research ahead of me. So far, the votes are:

Honda 1000rr
    Suzuki SV650
    Kawasaki Verseys
    Kawasaki EX500 Ninja
    Suzuki Bandit 600
    Yamaha FZ6

15. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

Good stuff to think about.

16. marklukich

marklukich

My advice - DO NOT get a 1000cc bike for your first ride... Buy a cheap used 500cc or less to learn on - two reasons... First, the power of a 1000cc machine can come on REAL fast and you can find yourself riding way beyond your skills in a very big hurry... (think accident waiting to happen) Second, when (not if) you lay your cheap/used machine down, it won't break your bank/heart to see it dinged up... Just my .02 cents but it comes from years of experience...

17. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

it sounds like you want a sport bike which is a crotch rocket...but shouldn't you always get for your first bike at the max a 600. I've always heard that any more than a 600 and it is too much power and you will die. Just wanted to bring this up since you mention a 1000rr..which would be ridiculous for a first bike.

i've always wanted to get a suzuki gsx-r 600...but i am well aware that i would kill myself on one...which is why i dont have one.

good luck man

18. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

That sounds about right. Right off the bat, it just looks like a bigger bike than I'm really interested in anyway. Of course, I'm aware that pretty much any bike can kill you.

19. glock27ss

glock27ss

Get a GSX-R 600.... I have one and it is a great bike!! Also this was the First Motorcycle that I have ever ridden and it was easy to learn on... It also have mode select which allows you to cut the power from 100 down to 75 and down to 50 percent power so you can learn how to handle the bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Five O'Glock

Five O'Glock

I've been riding for a few years and have owned 5 bikes (all Kawasakis). I started with a used EX500 and sold it for what I paid for it a year later. The key is to learn how to ride. The list you have above is pretty good except for the honda. That is not a beginners bike and will not be as forgiving. You need to learn throttle control and basic riding skills before you think about the big liter+ bikes. There is a reason insurance is so expensive on those bikes, odds are it is going to be crashed and it's usually (not always) by a rider that doesn't know how to ride it. Do yourself a favor and learn the basics first.

Good luck!