close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Motor guys - gear sources?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Ducowti, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Ducowti

Ducowti

I'm joining my dept's motor unit, was wondering if any of you had any vendor recommendations specifically for riding boots and leather jacket.

And for that matter, rec's on boot brands. Never worn the style and don't recognize what I'm finding online, so some guidance would be swell.

Thx!

2. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

There's an outfit... shoot... squad fitters or something that specializes in motors... hit up SDForce, he knows it.

3. Ducowti

Ducowti

That's it, thx lawman. :cool:

I offered to sacrifice a Duc to the unit :whistling: but I'm stuck on a Kawi KZ1K.

4. Infallible

Infallible

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  5. Ducowti

Ducowti

Thanks. The spec is as yours, i.e. Chips and Taylor though I'm in the buckles and the Newark (closer to 3/4 length) style jacket.

6. SDforce

SDforce Desk Jockey

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  7. SDforce

SDforce Desk Jockey

Kawi ain't a bad ride. Feels like you're riding a couch. It's much more comfortable than a BMW. I've managed to catch air on the ramp from our underground lot. I've done a stoppee on one before also. I hated riding that thing on the freeway though. Battery on it sucks... literally.

Make sure when you order your boots to ask for boot hooks and a boot jack. If you have an Equestrian center nearby, buy a pair of boot trees.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  8. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I thought the KZ1k was discontinued in 2005?

I volunteered to ride a Harley for the department since we have very aggressive Harley leases here but so far, it's fallen on deaf ears. The brass agrees it's a money maker but they just aren't ready to make that jump yet.

9. marchboom

marchboom

Danner used to supply the riding boots for LAPD. Not sure if they still do. The uniform store would take 13 different measurements to send to Danner.

10. opskmallory

opskmallory

I just got my motor stuff ordered on Friday at our local uniform shop. We order boots from All American Boot and they did the same thing. Three or four measurements around the foot, two more on the heal, ankle to calf, and a few others. Then they draw your foot. I didn't realize that my motor boots would be MY motor boots. :)

School is first two weeks of May. I swear, it's like being a little kid and waiting for Christmas. :pepper:

11. SDforce

SDforce Desk Jockey

It's Dehner for motor boots.

12. SDforce

SDforce Desk Jockey

Yeah, the KZP was discontinued in 2005. We only have 4 remaining (only 1 is in use). Harley tried to get us with their lease, but it's a bit of a scam. They will nickel and dime you for every little thing they think is wrong with the bike when you send it back. Go with the Honda ST1300 or BMW R1200RT instead. The BMW will be cheaper to start, but the maintenance costs will be high. The Honda will cost more to start, but you save on maintenance.

13. captcurly

captcurly

You can try these/ www.squadfitters.com and www.intapol.com Then contact Harley Davidson www.harley-davidsonpolicemotors.com or The Motor has published a magazine (published for about 70 years) called The Motor Officer. It is a freebe and it is very interesting.Good Luck to you from a former motor officer (1970-1084). The best years of my 30 year career was spent on a "wheel". That is what the old school guys called motorcycles back then. Forgot this. Branded Leathers has a some great motor officer coats. Again, Good Luck and enjoy.

14. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Actually, I was not looking at turning in the Harley but rather just buying them at the end of the lease for the fixed price, which is still pretty good for a Police Edition Ultra Glide, which was ridden by me, so I know how I beat it up.

Where be my fly-along?

15. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

16. blueiron

blueiron

Don't buy any more cool stuff until you buy three things and you'll thank me later in May.

Buy three grip strength tensioners like these:

http://ironmind-store.com/Guide-Captains-of-Crush174-Hand-Gripper/productinfo/1401/

Get one for starting out.

Get one at an intermediate level.

Finally, buy the strong guy model.

Start using them NOW to build up your left hand grip for the clutch lever. If you don't, you will be so sore that you won't be able to feather the clutch in low speed manuevers and that can fail you. You will be surprised at how many motor trainees do not have superior grip strength and the fatigue will show up about the second day in.

I bought two when I bought a motorcycle and they helped big time in a MSF school. When I recommended these to motor school trainees, they thanked me for the tip.

Even if the bike has a hydraulic boost, it helps.

17. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

+1

Quartermasters (www.qmuniforms.com) has a textile riding uniform jacket that looks like any duty jacket but has armor in the shoulders, elbows, and back, just like our regular riding jackets. It's reasonably priced as well.

18. SDforce

SDforce Desk Jockey

I'm wondering the same thing. It's starting to piss me off cuz it's been so long. We may be disbanding the unit due to budget issues, so I need to get you up there soon.

19. SDforce

SDforce Desk Jockey

I have that jacket. It's garbage. Go with the Tourmaster one listed above. I have the civilian version for my POV.

20. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR